Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Whats everyones mpg's?

32990 Views 67 Replies 30 Participants Last post by  Newbiecruzer
Hey guys! New to chevy and the cruze world, pretty familiar with diesels in general though. I've had a couple mechanical injection vw's and most recently rebuilt a vw 1.9l mechanical injection engine and swapped it into my samurai. This is my first computer controlled direct injection engine and I'm pretty happy with it so far. Its not the exact car I wanted (white, hatch, diesel with mt with brown leather) but its one of the 3 manual diesels available in the province. On Friday I grabbed a 2017 cruze diesel lt with the 6 speed manual. Its the silver ice metallic with black leather interior. Until about month ago I had no idea chevy had a diesel sedan and went with it over vw mainly because of the 0% financing and that vw doesn't have any new tdi's.

So far I love the car, the electronic throttle takes a bit of getting used to and the clutch has a bit of a different feel to it but the power and economy it makes are amazing for what it is. It has way more power and is way quieter then the old mechanical vw's. The one I just built for my samurai has a 4bt turbo and a performance injection pump and its probably making around the same power but its nowhere near as refined. Its loud and shakes like crazy. I'm not too impressed with the transmission, it rides alright but I feel the gearing (mainly 6th) is off and feel like the shift light is constantly blinking at me. I've got just under 1000km on it and I filled up for the first time the other day. I got 850km to 44l which puts it just under 5.2l/100km and means the dash display was right on with its estimate. 5.2l is about 45mpg which is pretty good as I had a decent mix of city and highway driving. I'm just curious what kind of mpg everyone is seeing per tank in the real world? I'm also curious how many km's it takes for the engine to break in and if there would be any noticeable economy increase at that point?

Anyways here's my cruze the first night I got it
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hatchback Mid-size car

and here is a pic from the dealer
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sedan Mid-size car

No real plans to modify it much. Maybe upgrade the headlights to HID's, get the dealer to install some fogs, and when the warranty runs out I'll delete all the emissions crap and throw a tune on it. Would love it if someone brings a plug in piggyback ecu to market that wouldn't effect the warranty!
See less
Reactions: Cruze2.0TD
Hey guys! New to chevy and the cruze world, pretty familiar with diesels in general though. I've had a couple mechanical injection vw's and most recently rebuilt a vw 1.9l mechanical injection engine and swapped it into my samurai. This is my first computer controlled direct injection engine and I'm pretty happy with it so far. Its not the exact car I wanted (white, hatch, diesel with mt with brown leather) but its one of the 3 manual diesels available in the province. On Friday I grabbed a...
See more
61 - 68 of 68 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Took a road trip to California and back over I-40 from Texas. Averaged exactly 52 MPG over the entire journey, ranging from elevations of 0 to 7200+ feet. Locked cruise at 76 for much of the way and it never downshifted, not once. Such a pleasure to drive over long distances. ~1 tank of DEF for 2600 miles.

· Registered
157 Posts
Rivergoer, to answer your question about "how DEF gives diesel an mpg advantage over gas engines" . Your question contains an implicit falsehood so there can be no answer.
In fact, the mpg advantage of diesel pre-existed DEF.

But today, DEF gives new diesels a chance to exist legally on USA roads, and thus to demonstrate their improved mpg over gasoline equivalents. Without DEF & related technology there are no new diesels on USA roads.

· Registered
157 Posts
DEF is required to keep my vehicle motoring on the highway, so i'm accounting for its cost as part of tracking my mpg. it's a small cost. but it's factual and obvious so it may as well be included.

this past weekend, 60 mpg on the 120 miles to portland maine, driving slower than usual on the highway. 65 to 70 rather than 75-80. Not counting DEF! subtract a couple mpg to account for the DEF gallons & cost.
So on the way to Portland I got a lousy 58 mpg if I include both DEF & diesel consumption, rather than the full 60 mpg by counting the diesel fuel alone. Argh! ;)

52 to 55 on the way back due to running AC/defog/wipers and slightly higher speeds.

· Registered
304 Posts
DEF is required to keep my vehicle motoring on the highway, so i'm accounting for its cost as part of tracking my mpg. it's a small cost. but it's factual and obvious so it may as well be included.
Tires, filters, engine oil, brake fluid, radiator fluid, transmission fluid, blinker fluid, etc. are all also required to keep your vehicle motoring on the highway. What's factors should we apply to our MPG calculation for all of those items?

· Registered
157 Posts
Tires, filters, engine oil, brake fluid, radiator fluid, transmission fluid, blinker fluid, etc. are all also required to keep your vehicle motoring on the highway. What's factors should we apply to our MPG calculation for all of those items?
A chacun son gout. Muffler bearings used to be a joke too but now some mufflers have actual moving parts (solenoids?) if not bearings.

Sounds like you are talking about total cost of ownership with all that stuff above. TCO. Good to know and is not a mystery.

I’m talking about gallons of go juice. DEF & diesel. Two fuel tanks are refueled via the fillers inside the fuel door of the car - take a look and you’ll see them too. Don’t put brake fluid in there and don’t liquefy a tire and pour it in there!

There are two fuel tanks inside fuel door, so there are two mpg numbers which can be considered individually or with have their ratios weighted and combined. Do whichever arithmetic you prefer. I’ll stick with the rough estimate of subtracting a couple mpg from the diesel mpg in order to see the total mpg.

Ps - its cool that the manual says that burning diesel #1 during cold weather is supported!

· Premium Member
2,608 Posts
Rivergoer, to answer your question about "how DEF gives diesel an mpg advantage over gas engines" . Your question contains an implicit falsehood so there can be no answer.
In fact, the mpg advantage of diesel pre-existed DEF.

But today, DEF gives new diesels a chance to exist legally on USA roads, and thus to demonstrate their improved mpg over gasoline equivalents. Without DEF & related technology there are no new diesels on USA roads.
Alrighty then.

Reactions: 91794
61 - 68 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.