Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Whats everyones mpg's?

Tags
everyones mpg
35K views 67 replies 30 participants last post by  Newbiecruzer 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys! New to chevy and the cruze world, pretty familiar with diesels in general though. I've had a couple mechanical injection vw's and most recently rebuilt a vw 1.9l mechanical injection engine and swapped it into my samurai. This is my first computer controlled direct injection engine and I'm pretty happy with it so far. Its not the exact car I wanted (white, hatch, diesel with mt with brown leather) but its one of the 3 manual diesels available in the province. On Friday I grabbed a 2017 cruze diesel lt with the 6 speed manual. Its the silver ice metallic with black leather interior. Until about month ago I had no idea chevy had a diesel sedan and went with it over vw mainly because of the 0% financing and that vw doesn't have any new tdi's.

So far I love the car, the electronic throttle takes a bit of getting used to and the clutch has a bit of a different feel to it but the power and economy it makes are amazing for what it is. It has way more power and is way quieter then the old mechanical vw's. The one I just built for my samurai has a 4bt turbo and a performance injection pump and its probably making around the same power but its nowhere near as refined. Its loud and shakes like crazy. I'm not too impressed with the transmission, it rides alright but I feel the gearing (mainly 6th) is off and feel like the shift light is constantly blinking at me. I've got just under 1000km on it and I filled up for the first time the other day. I got 850km to 44l which puts it just under 5.2l/100km and means the dash display was right on with its estimate. 5.2l is about 45mpg which is pretty good as I had a decent mix of city and highway driving. I'm just curious what kind of mpg everyone is seeing per tank in the real world? I'm also curious how many km's it takes for the engine to break in and if there would be any noticeable economy increase at that point?

Anyways here's my cruze the first night I got it
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hatchback Mid-size car

and here is a pic from the dealer
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sedan Mid-size car

No real plans to modify it much. Maybe upgrade the headlights to HID's, get the dealer to install some fogs, and when the warranty runs out I'll delete all the emissions crap and throw a tune on it. Would love it if someone brings a plug in piggyback ecu to market that wouldn't effect the warranty!

See less See more
#36 ·
Honestly I can't recall if the free changes included DEF. They probably did as I didn't buy any until year 2 of ownership. I know they didn't fill it with the paid changes. Also I did have the DEF pump fixed under warranty and they had to refill it then. So that probably added some range. I paid < $10 for the DEF on sale at Mills Fleet Farm. It was a box with a pull out spout. Seems like I got way more than 7500 miles out of a container. I only bought two in the time I owned it. My driving is 99% highway, but I don't know if DEF consumption is fixed or varies with driving style. I never paid attention to it unless the DIC was complaining about needing more.

#46 ·
My mistake...thought this thread was about MPG, not CPM.

If we’re talking CPM gas vs diesel, yeah there’s the ‘whopping’ additional cost of the DEF. I’ve spent a total of $15 (US) on DEF for 15,000 miles so that’s a grand total of 1/10th of a cent per mile added to the cost of fuel.

#51 ·
Have had my 2017 Manual for 2 months, put 6200 miles on it, and have gotten pretty much exactly 51mpg average on every tank. I did just get a check engine indicator a week ago which was diagnosed as a bad particulate matter sensor, waiting on a replacement part. Mileage has dropped a bit but I don't know if those are related or not, or if fuel quality is going down as winter approaches in the northeast here.

#52 ·
Thanks folks for confirming my rough calculations that including DEF in mpg or dollars per mile arithmetic reduces the result by a percent or a few percent. So we should always reduce the calculated diesel mpg by an entire mpg or two to account for the DEF consumption in our cars. We can define a new ratio relating diesel consumption with DEF consumption as the DEF-consumption-constant - it might be different for each vehicle/engine/driving-condition, and it seems to be between 1% and 5% range.
We'll need a name and a Greek letter for this new constant.

DEF needs to be refilled and it gets burned up in order to make the car go more than 4 mph.
Please tell me again why DEF is not fuel and/or pony up and refill my cars DEF whenever it needs it? It's really a minor cost, not a big deal, it shouldn't be a problem for the hordes of DEF-is-not-a-fuel people to refill it on my car when necessary, you can each take a day of the week to check/refill my cars DEF as necessary. Thanks in advance !

#53 ·
Please explain how DEF gives diesels a miles per gallon advantage over gas engines.

#59 ·
def can be removed, taking diesel out of the equation and the car wont run. Sure its a consumable and added cost over a gasoline vehicle but it has nothing to do with the diesels mpg which is what we were discussing. This isn't a gas vs diesel cost comparison thread. If you want to make it that way then diesel is on average 10-20 cents a liter cheaper then gas in my area. That savings alone easily pays for def and then some. You wouldn't subtract mpg's from a gas cars average because of increased fuel costs would you? the 5-10% added cost of fuel is far more substantial then the fraction of a percent of def consumption.

#62 ·
Took a road trip to California and back over I-40 from Texas. Averaged exactly 52 MPG over the entire journey, ranging from elevations of 0 to 7200+ feet. Locked cruise at 76 for much of the way and it never downshifted, not once. Such a pleasure to drive over long distances. ~1 tank of DEF for 2600 miles.

#63 ·
Rivergoer, to answer your question about "how DEF gives diesel an mpg advantage over gas engines" . Your question contains an implicit falsehood so there can be no answer.
In fact, the mpg advantage of diesel pre-existed DEF.

But today, DEF gives new diesels a chance to exist legally on USA roads, and thus to demonstrate their improved mpg over gasoline equivalents. Without DEF & related technology there are no new diesels on USA roads.

#64 ·
DEF is required to keep my vehicle motoring on the highway, so i'm accounting for its cost as part of tracking my mpg. it's a small cost. but it's factual and obvious so it may as well be included.

this past weekend, 60 mpg on the 120 miles to portland maine, driving slower than usual on the highway. 65 to 70 rather than 75-80. Not counting DEF! subtract a couple mpg to account for the DEF gallons & cost.
So on the way to Portland I got a lousy 58 mpg if I include both DEF & diesel consumption, rather than the full 60 mpg by counting the diesel fuel alone. Argh! ;)

52 to 55 on the way back due to running AC/defog/wipers and slightly higher speeds.

#65 ·
DEF is required to keep my vehicle motoring on the highway, so i'm accounting for its cost as part of tracking my mpg. it's a small cost. but it's factual and obvious so it may as well be included.
Tires, filters, engine oil, brake fluid, radiator fluid, transmission fluid, blinker fluid, etc. are all also required to keep your vehicle motoring on the highway. What's factors should we apply to our MPG calculation for all of those items?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.