Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Cruze Hatchback RS Premier
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a 2016 sedan that wouldn't go into AutoStop below 42°F or 5.55°C (seemed programmed to do so). But now with my 2018 hatchback (first winter with it), it has gone into AutoStop at any temperature...even as low as 15°F or -9.44°C.

I truly wonder why they set it so that it wouldn't go into AutoStop below 42°F and why it's ok now.

·
Registered
835 Posts
My '17 hatch won't do it under 40. Was driving home and it was 42 and it would do it. Hit 39 and it stopped

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
41F or above mine works. 2018 Cruze Diesel.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Most likely it should've been either 14 from the start or someone boogered the programming in 18 and reversed the numbers to 14.

Either way, one is wrong and was input the wrong way. My guess is the 41 was wrong and was corrected to 14.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Our 16 and 17 were both ~41.

Maybe they were afraid the engine would lose too much heat and diminish fuel savings from the autostop event?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Haha I wonder if a GM tech straight up typo'd it and it shipped that way. 41 and 14 seem like an awfully strange coincidence. If that were the case though you'd think that would be a simple and quick firmware update issued from the dealer.

On my 18 it definitely autostops below 41F.

What's more irritating than that though is that I thought there was some sort of protocol in place to not autostop until the engine reached a certain temp? I've definitely had my car on numerous occasions autostop at the first stop light when I leave work which is less than half a block a way (probably 200ft max) No chance it's warmed up by then which worries me a bit because I'd rather limit cold start conditions as much as possible.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Driving in L6 disables auto stop.

Some of us have a module that plugs in to the hood switch. And never have to deal with autostop.

There's a thread on here for the module.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Oh yeah I don't have a problem with autostop per se. I know that it's a pretty contentious topic here though. I just think it's weird that it seems a little inconsistent. For the most part it doesn't bother me though and I appreciate the tiny boost in MPGs it gives me.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Driving in L6 disables auto stop.

Some of us have a module that plugs in to the hood switch. And never have to deal with autostop.

There's a thread on here for the module.
Except for the issues it can cause with things like remote start. AS doesn't bug me NEARLY enough to warrant dealing with wonky things from it tricking the hood open sensor

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Except for the issues it can cause with things like remote start. AS doesn't bug me NEARLY enough to warrant dealing with wonky things from it tricking the hood open sensor
I don't use the remote. If I want remote. I use the Chevrolet app instead. I like it better. I don't need to point the remote. Stand outside. Or be in close proximity. The app will start my car from the other side of the world.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Point the remote? ? It's not a TV. I start my car with the remote from inside the house where it's warm. And I don't have to pay for the connected services to use the app either ?‍♂

·
Registered
835 Posts
The app is free. The "connected services" subscription required to connect the app to your car is only free with new purchase for a limited time. Buy used like I did and you have to pay for it

·
Registered
835 Posts
You need to buy the subscription to use the app that way

·
Registered
512 Posts
The app is free
Yeah I think maybe you didn't realize that you're paying for an Onstar service.
You can use the app for free sure, but to remote start within the app, you need an Onstar plan.

How is the app though? I remember downloading it when I first got the car and didn't see much need for it? Any cool new features?

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Yeah I think maybe you didn't realize that you're paying for an Onstar service.
You can use the app for free sure, but to remote start within the app, you need an Onstar plan.

How is the app though? I remember downloading it when I first got the car and didn't see much need for it? Any cool new features?
No cool features and onstar is not needed.

Chevrolet provides 5 years complimentary

I'm not subscribed to anything on the car.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The 16 and 17 are programmed for 41*

18 and 19 are programmed for 14*.

No idea why on the lower temp.

Don't know about the diesels.
Most likely it should've been either 14 from the start or someone boogered the programming in 18 and reversed the numbers to 14.

Either way, one is wrong and was input the wrong way. My guess is the 41 was wrong and was corrected to 14.
Our 16 and 17 were both ~41.

Maybe they were afraid the engine would lose too much heat and diminish fuel savings from the autostop event?
If the 41F and 14F numbers were simply due to an engineers input error, expect a big lawsuit in the next few years lol.

2017 and 2018 use different oil (not to be that guy bringing it up!). Interestingly thats 5C and -10C respectively. According to this guy Difference between 0w20 and 5w30 motor oil | stikkitnow "In a 5W-30 for example, 5 represents the viscosity of the oil at a low temperature of 5 degrees Celsius," which is my 2017 oil spec, and start/start temp shutoff. I can't tell if its BS or not, I'm not an oil guy, or much of a car guy for that matter. I have not found much Googling 5W 30 5 degrees C.

And this GM Auto Engine Stop/Start Systems – TechLink has some great info, including the enabling criteria for GM start/stop. You'll notice there's no mention of the outside temperate whatsoever! It does mention:
  • Ambient and engine coolant temperature correlation must meet specified values.
  • Ambient and transmission fluid temperature correlation must meet specified values.
My guess is -10C and 5C are safe easy to use number that they tied to certain other numbers measuring oil viscosity.
Car says: Its 14F, if temp gets lower oil viscosity will be wrong (car does not know exact oil viscosity at the time, just pre recorded estimates based on temp), and car disables start stop" OR the
Car is able to determine oil viscosity at a certain value at any given time to disable start/stop, meaning the 14F and 41F are just rough estimates for us as end users to know what to expect. Just guesses though. Hopefully it will point someone in the right direction.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts