Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 LT RS. I'm looking to either upgrade or change my stock wheels and wanted advice/insight on two options I've been thinking about. I wasn't really wanting to spend too much on aftermarket parts.

Option 1:

I either dip or powder coat my stock 16" wheels (because I want then black) and get a lower profile tire on them. I can't stand how meaty the tires are now.

Option 2:

I buy 18's...

Does anyone have their cruze with the 16's and low profile tires and STOCK suspension that I could see for reference on how it looks? I'd really prefer to not spend money on new rims and tires just to have the OEM ones sit around. Do 16's with low pros look absolutely ridiculous with stock suspension?

·
Premium Member
3,174 Posts
Welcome to the forum, you came to the right place for information. As for me with your options I would go with a set of 18s that I like and either use your 16s for winter with winter tires or sell your current 16s. I bought the eco wheels first then sold my 16s with tires to pay for the new tires on my eco wheels. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I would go with 18's, if you change the tires on the 16's, it will have a huge gap, which will need to be fixed with lowering.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Welcome! I agree, I'd go with 18's and use the 16's for winter (that's what I'm doing, although I chose the LTZ 18's rather than aftermarket.)

·
Premium Member
4,134 Posts
How wide are the LTZ wheels? I have 18 X 8 SRI-V wheels on my CDX diesel, with 235 X 40 tyres and at 110kph the speedometer is showing 113kph so is about the same as the original 17 X 7 wheels it came with. I used a GPS to check the speed.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have a 2014 LT RS. I'm looking to either upgrade or change my stock wheels and wanted advice/insight on two options I've been thinking about. I wasn't really wanting to spend too much on aftermarket parts.

Option 1:

I either dip or powder coat my stock 16" wheels (because I want then black) and get a lower profile tire on them. I can't stand how meaty the tires are now.

Option 2:

I buy 18's...

Does anyone have their cruze with the 16's and low profile tires and STOCK suspension that I could see for reference on how it looks? I'd really prefer to not spend money on new rims and tires just to have the OEM ones sit around. Do 16's with low pros look absolutely ridiculous with stock suspension?
The tires on 16 are meaty af yes but keep in mind how much they help out with the ride quality I changed my 16 on my LS with 18's from a LTZ looks a lot more classy but the ride isn't as smooth not a monumental difference but a tad more noticeable bumps in the road are. There's A LOT of fender on the Cruze a too low profile of a tire will look out of place

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Around here, tire dealers tell me they are only permitted to put the placard sized tires on your car. Whether this is a state law, never checked this out. But easy to work around this, leave your vehicle at home and just bring the wheels in and tell them what size you want.

For me, the tires that come with the vehicle is a very important choice as to whether I purchase that vehicle or not. One option I would like, is keep your crappy tires and give me a good discount, will buy my own.

Ironic that on my 15 buck odometer/speedometer attachment, can easily adjust it to one part in 2,500. But can't even do this on a $60K or more vehicle. You will have to live with this error. Also the gearing would be different and would be putting a lot more strain on that tiny little engine.

Of course with this formula:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=7

can calculate the difference in diameter between the old and new tires. But with experience, find this always does not hold true from make to make, so bring a measuring stick with me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts