Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My understanding is that the early 2011 Cruze models had thinner sheet metal in the ECO models to save weight. Then at some point GM did a running change and all the Cruzes got the same sheet metal as the ECO. Does anybody know the VIN breakpoint or month when this happened? I'd like to know whether my Cruze has the thick or thin.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Changing the thickness of the sheet metal would affect the crashworthyness of the vehicle. So I doubt they did that. The weight difference between the Eco and other trims is 400 lbs.

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
Changing the thickness of the sheet metal would affect the crashworthyness of the vehicle. So I doubt they did that. The weight difference between the Eco and other trims is 400 lbs.
No. The weight difference is only 100 lbs between an Eco and an LT. Eco sits around 3000 lbs, give or take 50 or so if your manual. A 1LT sits at 3100 lbs, a fully loaded LTZ sits at 3170 lbs. 400 lbs is absurd. The car would not have the same crash test ratings or city fuel economy ratings, etc.

·
Administrator
15,763 Posts
No. The weight difference is only 100 lbs between an Eco and an LT. Eco sits around 3000 lbs, give or take 50 or so if your manual. A 1LT sits at 3100 lbs, a fully loaded LTZ sits at 3170 lbs. 400 lbs is absurd. The car would not have the same crash test ratings or city fuel economy ratings, etc.
80lbs for the manual transmission over the auto including fluid. The auto takes 8.5 quarts of fluid, while the manual takes ~2 quarts. A base Eco weighs a good 200lbs less than a fully loaded LTZ.

I agree that the difference is not 400lbs though.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
SAE Engineering recently praising Audi for reducing their weight by a whole 65 pounds! Shake my head when I read stuff like that. Cruze claims a 15 pound weight savings on sheet metal, but also claim its higher strength steel on the ECO.

Ha, nothing said about my 90 pound Asian neighbor that requires an 8,000 pound Expedition to haul her little butt around.

When are they going start selling us gas with a 120,000 BTU per US gallon again, some of this new stuff is as low as 90,000 BTU, that would really help with fuel economy. 84 Honda DX always got 46 mpg.

I feel at times, I should start smoking crack so I am in tune with the rest of the world.

·
Registered
509 Posts
SAE Engineering recently praising Audi for reducing their weight by a whole 65 pounds! Shake my head when I read stuff like that. Cruze claims a 15 pound weight savings on sheet metal, but also claim its higher strength steel on the ECO.

Ha, nothing said about my 90 pound Asian neighbor that requires an 8,000 pound Expedition to haul her little butt around.

When are they going start selling us gas with a 120,000 BTU per US gallon again, some of this new stuff is as low as 90,000 BTU, that would really help with fuel economy. 84 Honda DX always got 46 mpg.

I feel at times, I should start smoking crack so I am in tune with the rest of the world.
The '84 Honda DX also didn't have a 3-way catalyst that required running the engine rich to get rid of NOx gasses, and it also didn't have to pass modern crash test requirements... You can thank emissions and crash test ratings (and people wanting larger and quieter cars) for the fuel economy results we see, today. Given your profession, I assume you know this... Still kind of a raw deal, though...

Mike

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
The '84 Honda DX also didn't have a 3-way catalyst that required running the engine rich to get rid of NOx gasses, and it also didn't have to pass modern crash test requirements... You can thank emissions and crash test ratings (and people wanting larger and quieter cars) for the fuel economy results we see, today. Given your profession, I assume you know this... Still kind of a raw deal, though...

Mike
Yeah, but its CO2 output was much lower, EPA was also talking about spraying in gas into the cat to heat it up quicker, but somehow that died. Been their history, cure one problem and create ten more. Like when the cat first came out, was spewing out sulfuric acid. That wasn't good either, now MTBE's causing ground water contamination and cancer.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
My understanding is that the early 2011 Cruze models had thinner sheet metal in the ECO models to save weight. Then at some point GM did a running change and all the Cruzes got the same sheet metal as the ECO. Does anybody know the VIN breakpoint or month when this happened? I'd like to know whether my Cruze has the thick or thin.

Dale_K,
I would like to look into this for you. Can you please send me a PM with your name and VIN? I look forward to hearing back from you.
Thank you,
Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I found an old link to a 2011 Car & Driver preview of the 2011 Cruze ECO and I see where it mentions thinner sheet metal. Apparently it was in selected areas, not throughout the car, but at least I feel good that I didn't just dream up this claim. Here's the link. And a small excerpt.

"Like plastic surgeons performing spot liposuction on a skinny starlet, Chevy engineers cut mass in more than 40 separate operations, including removing the rear center armrest—and, strangely, the rear center headrest on manual-transmission cars—using thinner sheetmetal in selected components, and even reducing the length of weld flanges"

2011 Chevrolet Cruze Eco Drive: Chevy Cruze Review – Car and Driver

1 - 11 of 11 Posts