Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So 100k miles have come and gone on my 14 Cruze Diesel and now driving with the message alerting me to service the timing belt. The manual recommends replacement at 97,500mi, message comes on at 100k miles and I could have sworn I read somewhere something about 120k miles. I have checked mine and everything looks great so far and with this time of the year being harsh on my wallet as it is, I'm trying to let it slide for a few months as long as everything keeps looking as good as it does.

Does anyone do it this way? Keep driving and inspecting until there are actual signs of fatigue/wear, THEN replace their belt? Believe me, I understand the whole "interference" thing and how it could destroy your engine so why chance it....I was just curious is all.

·
Super Moderator
7,787 Posts
How have you been inspecting your timing belt?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, of course. Still looks perfect at 104k miles right now. No cracks anywhere, no fraying, plus I can still read the GM part number on it.

·
Super Moderator
7,787 Posts
Yes, of course. Still looks perfect at 104k miles right now. No cracks anywhere, no fraying, plus I can still read the GM part number on it.
How have you been inspecting your timing belt? Are you sure that you’re not looking at the accessory drive serpentine belt?

Reactions: MRO1791

·
Registered
196 Posts
I just did mine @ 100000, wife would have none of that message. It looked fine, but it nice to not have to worry about that, the water pump or the acc belt for another 100000. I believe I’ve seen changes from 100000 miles to Diesel’s 175000. Brad Herrman’s was starting to crack @ 125000.

It’s easy enough to have a peak at behind the plastic cover, but I’m not sure how long it would go once you notice that it is starting to crack.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Replace it ASAP. Having had a car with a failed timing belt.. this is not something you should gamble with. That car's belt looked totally fine through the limited ability to inspect it, even when it failed. It did not break.. the teeth broke off and it failed to move. Lucky for me that was not an interference engine. This car certainly is interference. Rubber has both a shelf life limit and service limit. It hardens over time. A failure can happen suddenly without warning. Going past 100k you are on borrowed time.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just did mine @ 100000, wife would have none of that message. It looked fine, but it nice to not have to worry about that, the water pump or the acc belt for another 100000. I believe I’ve seen changes from 100000 miles to Diesel’s 175000. Brad Herrman’s was starting to crack @ 125000.

It’s easy enough to have a peak at behind the plastic cover, but I’m not sure how long it would go once you notice that it is starting to crack.
That's what I'm curious about. Lol, I can't imagine 175k on a timing belt, wow. And I agree, if a belt hasn't broke by the time you notice cracking it must be replaced ASAP.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How have you been inspecting your timing belt? Are you sure that you’re not looking at the accessory drive serpentine belt?
Yes, I'm sure. I'm taking the timing belt cover off for inspection. It's only a few bolts and about 5 minutes.

·
Super Moderator
7,787 Posts
Yes, I'm sure. I'm taking the timing belt cover off for inspection. It's only a few bolts and about 5 minutes.
Okay, well that’s a relief. Are you able to inspect the entire length of the timing belt?

Maybe check the thread by @diesel he ran his timing belt a very long time and described the wear patterns.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maybe check the thread by @diesel he ran his timing belt a very long time and described the wear patterns.
Thanks for the info. I didn't catch that post when I searched the first time. Even 150k miles on the original timing belt seems excessive, but impressive!

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,085 Posts
I'm around 101,700 on my 2014, and I've been trying to get around to doing the timing belt for the past 2000 miles or so. I was going to get it done back around Labor Day when I could still do it outside. I just haven't been able to squeeze out the half-day I need to do it. Now that it's cold out, I also have to squeeze out another half-day to reorganize the garage enough to pull it inside. If I'm lucky, I might be able to fit those two half-days in this week finally and accomplish it. Although I also have a seized brake caliper to replace on the Jeep and a coolant leak to track downon the wife's van while I'm at it. Seems like it never ends.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
@Jondaytona Did you ever own a VW TDI? Mine had a 120k Timing Belt interval. Perhaps that’s where you remembered the longer interval from?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@Jondaytona Did you ever own a VW TDI? Mine had a 120k Timing Belt interval. Perhaps that’s where you remembered the longer interval from?
Nah, I've worked on a couple, sure wish Chevy had something like the VAG. I just think that's such a better tool for a tenth of what you would spend on an equivalent through Snap-On for domestic.

I really don't know where I got the 120k miles from, could've sworn I read on here somewhere.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I’m working my way up to a timing belt change on my alh beetle. The Cuze is pretty simple, no laptop needed.

The only real problem I had was the cam moved when I took the belt off. I saw it and it was the only one. In the future I will mark location of the pulleys before I remove the belt. Because of the marks on the belt that align with the marks on the pulleys there’s only one way it can go on so it was just a matter of turning the cam until everything lined up. I spun everything around for quite a while before I was sure it was OK to try the started and it fired up just like nothing happened.

The harder part was getting the motor burped to fill the radiator. Missed that the first time after running it for 20 min. First trip it went 3 miles up the road to the stop sign and then the temp shot up from 1/2 to 3/4 when I pullled away. Made a U and creeped home and it gave me the shut down message a half mile from the house while I was coasting. I couldn’t get it happy enough to pull the cap off once I got it home so I ran my errands in the Beetle and toped it off once I got back with no issues.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm around 101,700 on my 2014, and I've been trying to get around to doing the timing belt for the past 2000 miles or so. I was going to get it done back around Labor Day when I could still do it outside. I just haven't been able to squeeze out the half-day I need to do it. Now that it's cold out, I also have to squeeze out another half-day to reorganize the garage enough to pull it inside. If I'm lucky, I might be able to fit those two half-days in this week finally and accomplish it. Although I also have a seized brake caliper to replace on the Jeep and a coolant leak to track downon the wife's van while I'm at it. Seems like it never ends.
Same year same mileage same packed garage. I'll be doing it within ththe next few weeks

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,085 Posts
Same year same mileage same packed garage. I'll be doing it within ththe next few weeks
I hope I can get to mine soon. Plans changed when my wife totalled her van hitting a big, fat doe Friday night. Now we're splitting the 5 kids up between my Cruze and my Jeep, or she's squeezing 4 of them at a time into the Cruze with her to run them around where they need to go, and I'm driving the Jeep full-time until the insurance claim is worked through and we can find another vehicle we can afford that fits the whole family.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I hope I can get to mine soon. Plans changed when my wife totalled her van hitting a big, fat doe Friday night. Now we're splitting the 5 kids up between my Cruze and my Jeep, or she's squeezing 4 of them at a time into the Cruze with her to run them around where they need to go, and I'm driving the Jeep full-time until the insurance claim is worked through and we can find another vehicle we can afford that fits the whole family.
5 kids + holidays + vehicle issues = stressful days! I only have one kid to worry about, my hat's off to ya for juggling five. Too bad you're like 3hrs away, I'd say bring the Cruze to my heated barn w/hoist and I'll help you out!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just a follow-up, but I got the timing belt changed out last weekend along with the idler, tensioner and water pump. What an easy job. I just figured I'd mention the fact that these aren't the old school rubber belts anymore(at least this diesel, not sure about in general). Since they're more of a composite type of belt I can understand how the cogs won't show signs of cracking as much as the old rubber belts would, BUT, I did notice my tensioner was almost maxed out. So obviously the belt was stretching, and that's not something you can easily see without tearing the motor down anyway. I'm glad I replaced it, but for those that think if they don't see cracking then the belt is good, think about how it might be stretched too far and it should still be replaced at the suggested intervals anyway.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
They should be replaced anyways. Regardless of signs. And you added some good reasons. ^^^^^^

Rubber does seem to be improved though. Semis go a LONG time on one serp belt.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts