Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,695 Posts
@Jondaytona thanks for the follow-up, great job doing it yourself.

What was your odometer at the TB/WP change?

It was 104K back in November, you must’ve decided to run well past the 100K interval...just curious how far you pushed it...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
@Jondaytona thanks for the follow-up, great job doing it yourself.

What was your odometer at the TB/WP change?

It was 104K back in November, you must’ve decided to run well past the 100K interval...just curious how far you pushed it...
Yeah I'm not proud of it, but I was checking the condition of the belt and thinking it was fine, pushed it to 114k miles. But again, now seeing how stretched it was, obviously not something anyone should be doing.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,195 Posts
Good to hear it's not to difficult. I'm still planning to have the dealer tackle it. I could, but I really don't want to at this point - I have done plenty of vehicle work already this year, and not even on my own vehicles.

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,081 Posts
Just a follow-up, but I got the timing belt changed out last weekend along with the idler, tensioner and water pump. What an easy job. I just figured I'd mention the fact that these aren't the old school rubber belts anymore(at least this diesel, not sure about in general). Since they're more of a composite type of belt I can understand how the cogs won't show signs of cracking as much as the old rubber belts would, BUT, I did notice my tensioner was almost maxed out. So obviously the belt was stretching, and that's not something you can easily see without tearing the motor down anyway. I'm glad I replaced it, but for those that think if they don't see cracking then the belt is good, think about how it might be stretched too far and it should still be replaced at the suggested intervals anyway.
I managed to get around to mine on one of the early warm days we had back in March (around 108k miles and 68 months after the car was built). My belt looked pristine, and my tensioner was maybe a millimeter off from the mark for setting a new belt. It was rock hard, though. I hung it over a hook on my ceiling after removing it, and it's still hanging there in a perfect "O" shape. I'm not sure if it hardened with age, or if that stiffness is just from the Kevlar or fiberglass or whatever they reinforce it with. My new belt was much softer and more flexible, but it was the ACDelco Professional TB350 belt rather than the OE belt, so that could make a difference. The TB350 belt was also completely coated in black rubber, rather than tan/natural color on the toothed side like the OE belt. When I take it off in 95k miles (probably right before I hand it off to my daughter when she's 16), it will be interesting to see if that black on the toothed side rubbed off, or if it goes deeper than the surface.

·
Registered
691 Posts
The harder part was getting the motor burped to fill the radiator. Missed that the first time after running it for 20 min. First trip it went 3 miles up the road to the stop sign and then the temp shot up from 1/2 to 3/4 when I pullled away. Made a U and creeped home and it gave me the shut down message a half mile from the house while I was coasting. I couldn’t get it happy enough to pull the cap off once I got it home so I ran my errands in the Beetle and toped it off once I got back with no issues.
Is there a better way or procedure for getting air out of the system on these after you replace the coolant? I plan on fully draining the system when I do my belt.

·
Premium Member
2,695 Posts
I just hit 200K miles on my 2012 Cruze and my replace timing belt indicator came on. So none of you have taken it that far?
Congrats on reaching 200k milestone, that’s a big accomplishment.

There have been several documented CTD owners here that have surpassed 200k. It’s a great car and the diesel really adds to the ‘fun factor’.

Here’s to another 100k...

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
Don't we have someone at 300k?

·
Premium Member
2,695 Posts
Don't we have someone at 300k?
I think I read that somewhere here but 1/2 the time I can’t recall what I read or said yesterday.......

Reactions: plano-doug

·
Registered
37 Posts
Congrats on reaching 200k milestone, that’s a big accomplishment.

There have been several documented CTD owners here that have surpassed 200k. It’s a great car and the diesel really adds to the ‘fun factor’.

Here’s to another 100k...
Oh, wait, this is the diesel category. I was just responding to the timing belt subject. I don't have a diesel.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Currently at 92k on my 2015 put in service October 2015. My driving has changed to about 1K a month since my retirement last year. Next summer I'm thinking of a cross country vacation. Should I do the timing belt before the trip, around 96K or can I wait for my return at about 102K? To this point the car has been very reliable with only filters, oil, tires, one battery and the DEF heater/tank.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Currently at 92k on my 2015 put in service October 2015. My driving has changed to about 1K a month since my retirement last year. Next summer I'm thinking of a cross country vacation. Should I do the timing belt before the trip, around 96K or can I wait for my return at about 102K? To this point the car has been very reliable with only filters, oil, tires, one battery and the DEF heater/tank.
Why not just do it for the peace of mind? Its not very expensive especially if you do it yourself. I did mine at 100k and it was showing minor cracks at the base of the teeth.

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
Yeah...though I don't think 2k over the service interval will be too big of an issue. That said, should be pretty easy to pop off the top cover and take a look at the belt's condition.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Taking the cover off to see the condition is probably the way I'll go.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Changed mine at 105k and it was still in good shape, Had some cracks at the teeth when you folded the belt back onto itself. They make a cheap plactic spreader tool that goes from the fuel pump gear to the cam gear.. When I do mine at 200k I will use that because when installing the new belt my cam gear and my fuel pump gear moved slightly. Luckily I had both of them marked and was able to hold the cam gear in place with a wrench while I had help getting the belt on. Othern that that it was cake. I also changed the waterpump, belt tensioner, idler, serp. belt, and did a oil change while I was in there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
126 k on my 2016 and probably another 5k in idle time I'm an insurance adjuster so my car idles probably 4 hrs a day going to get it changed this week I've inspected the belt and it looks like new still but I don't want to push my luck dealer's say 120 is not unheard of

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
126 k on my 2016 and probably another 5k in idle time I'm an insurance adjuster so my car idles probably 4 hrs a day going to get it changed this week I've inspected the belt and it looks like new still but I don't want to push my luck dealer's say 120 is not unheard of
there is no 2016 diesel

·
Registered
691 Posts
There are many people here that have gone well over 100k interval and have not had issues, myself included. My belt was still fine and all of my pulleys were good. I did have some minor water pump seepage though. In fact, the primary forced reason for replacing the belt I have seen here is the WP failing. Elsewhere, one guy on YouTube said he did his at 140k, not because the belt was bad, but because one of the pulleys started to squeal. I've only seen 1 instance posted here where someone had a broken timing belt, and he said he bought it that way, so we don't know the history.

Obviously GM said 100k for a reason but I suspect that is for people who are driving 10k miles a year. Yes at 10 years the belt is goign to be rotted and needing replacing. For those of us that are putting 30-50k miles a year on the car, I think you can safely go over 100k.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Did mine at 100K along with Water Pump, Serpentine belt, and pulleys. Piece of mind here.
I know this was 2 years ago and you probably don't live around me; but Im just trying to figure out if the quote I got is reasonable. How much did this cost you? Do you remember?

21 - 40 of 49 Posts