Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When is the trans service due??? Was thinking about it today while it's slow at work. Car is at 44k miles

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
12,172 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
I believe its lifetime, but 50k severe service interval. With that being said, I'm going to have mine replaced with amsoil signature series fuel efficient atf. That's seems to be the general consensus here and It meets specs for our transmissions.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I've changed mine twice now. First time at 124K and second time at 191K, both with Amsoil. Now at 201K and transmission is still performing well.

Reactions: obermd and jsusanka

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
The general consensus from people with experience with this same tranny in other vehicles is a drain and fill every 30k after the initial change over

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've seen the drain and refill write up, but would it be ok to just do a complete flush on these transmissions?

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I've seen the drain and refill write up, but would it be ok to just do a complete flush on these transmissions?

I think the prevailing theory on this (some will disagree) is that when a flushing machine is used, it may have residual of some incorrect fluid that might get in there and possibly screw things up. I am not sure of other implications. That being said, I think at least one member here did have a flush done, but I don't think they ever posted long term results, and I can't remember who it was.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts

Yes, you could disconnect the cooler lines and turn the engine on and off carefully keeping that what you pump out and add back in

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I flowed the "How To" guide as posted above and changed out my own transmission fluid with the proper AmsOil ATF at 36,000mi and my OEM ATF was already getting a bit dark. It seemed to improve my shift response and firmness slightly.

If you are willing to do this yourself I would avoid the flush, if you follow the "how to" it does about as good of a job as a flush anyways. Even with a flush you never get 100% of the old stuff out before refilling. There is always some old stuff left.

When I did mine, I drained and filled the ~3 qts. of ATF 3 times. The first time it was still fairly dirty, the second time it was still a bit dirty looking, and by the third it looked like I was dumping out a new fluid. So, it worked well.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
How much does the dealer charge to change the atf?

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
I had the dealer do the flush to replace the OEM with amsoil. I can't locate the service order right now and I don't remember how much they charged me. I had mine done right before 45K, I was under the impression that was the 1st service interval. The dealer did tell me that the old fluid did look a little, well, bad. I believe the general consensus is that the OEM tranny fluid is junk. I now have about 65K on the car, so far, so good. I'm considering a single drain and fill in about another 5K just to keep up on things, "freshen up" the fluid so to speak. I can't say for certain that the amsoil fluid improved anything as things were good to begin with and I haven't really noticed any difference - shifting and all is just as good as it always was. But I do feel better having a better quality fluid in there.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,488 Posts
The factory fill has a corrosion inhibitor in it that makes the fluid look brown, even new.

·
Administrator
15,761 Posts
I think the prevailing theory on this (some will disagree) is that when a flushing machine is used, it may have residual of some incorrect fluid that might get in there and possibly screw things up. I am not sure of other implications. That being said, I think at least one member here did have a flush done, but I don't think they ever posted long term results, and I can't remember who it was.
I believe it's the other way around; if you just do a drain and refill, you guarantee you'll leave a great deal of the old fluid still in the transmission. Modern flush techniques do not use solvents and simply allow the transmission's internal pump to cycle out fluid while a machine re-fills at an identical rate through the transmission cooler lines. It is 100% safe, and the best way you can service a transmission since it replaces all of the fluid instead of just some.

I had the dealer do the flush to replace the OEM with amsoil. I can't locate the service order right now and I don't remember how much they charged me. I had mine done right before 45K, I was under the impression that was the 1st service interval. The dealer did tell me that the old fluid did look a little, well, bad. I believe the general consensus is that the OEM tranny fluid is junk. I now have about 65K on the car, so far, so good. I'm considering a single drain and fill in about another 5K just to keep up on things, "freshen up" the fluid so to speak. I can't say for certain that the amsoil fluid improved anything as things were good to begin with and I haven't really noticed any difference - shifting and all is just as good as it always was. But I do feel better having a better quality fluid in there.
The OEM fluid turns dark prematurely due to corrosion inhibitors left in the transmission and clutch material from the break-in process. I don't think the transmission fluid actually burns. I wouldn't be too concerned about the old stuff, but it's definitely a good idea.

To the OP and anyone else reading this, it is advised that the transmission fluid be changed at the severe service interval. If you know for a fact that you don't meet that interval, you can double that, but no transmission fluid is truly "lifetime." All lubricants degrade in some form, whether it's viscosity shear or oxidation, and clutch material from wear also compromises the fluid's friction properties, which affects shift quality. Transmission fluid should be serviced on a regular basis.

·
Administrator
15,761 Posts
Specific to the diesel, AMSOIL makes one of the better options as it is priced at about half the cost of the OEM fluid and lasts much longer. It has been tried and proven in this transmission. If anyone is interested, please shoot me a PM and I can get you a quote, and can possibly get you wholeseale pricing on it. If you'd like to shop on your own, here's the fluid people are using, which meets Aisin AW-1 specifications:

AMSOIL Signature Series Fuel-Efficient Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid

If you are purchasing enough for 3 drains and refills (9 quarts), a 6-month preferred customer account will save you some money:

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/buy-wholesale/?zo=5224266

If anyone has any questions about this transmission fluid or the AMSOIL preferred customer account, let me know.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Specific to the diesel, AMSOIL makes one of the better options as it is priced at about half the cost of the OEM fluid and lasts much longer. It has been tried and proven in this transmission. If anyone is interested, please shoot me a PM and I can get you a quote, and can possibly get you wholeseale pricing on it. If you'd like to shop on your own, here's the fluid people are using, which meets Aisin AW-1 specifications:

AMSOIL Signature Series Fuel-Efficient Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid

If you are purchasing enough for 3 drains and refills (9 quarts), a 6-month preferred customer account will save you some money:

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/buy-wholesale/?zo=5224266

If anyone has any questions about this transmission fluid or the AMSOIL preferred customer account, let me know.
I'm very happy with the Amsoil transmission fluid in my car.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I flowed the "How To" guide as posted above and changed out my own transmission fluid with the proper AmsOil ATF at 36,000mi and my OEM ATF was already getting a bit dark. It seemed to improve my shift response and firmness slightly.

If you are willing to do this yourself I would avoid the flush, if you follow the "how to" it does about as good of a job as a flush anyways. Even with a flush you never get 100% of the old stuff out before refilling. There is always some old stuff left.

When I did mine, I drained and filled the ~3 qts. of ATF 3 times. The first time it was still fairly dirty, the second time it was still a bit dirty looking, and by the third it looked like I was dumping out a new fluid. So, it worked well.
I just did this same thing about 2 months ago after discovering at 37,000 miles my trans cooler lines were leaking, ( NOT COVERED PAST 36k ) Fluid was extreemly filthy. I used the Amsoil Signature also.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
A couple people have mentioned trans cooler lines. I should probably take a look at mine.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Diesel if you live in a warm climate where there is no sub zero temps you might be ok. I believe the problem is from the cold hot cycles that makes the connection go bad. Just look under your car for a heavy film of fluid on the drivers side on the plastic belly pan. Just under the radiator area. Noticed mine when i went to do my first oil change myself. Ill bet it had been leaking quite a while and the oil changers at the dealer never noticed.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,488 Posts
It's a GM thing. Most do it every couple years. Lines must be made by the cheapest bidder to get most of them just out of the warranty period.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.