Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best course of action here for when to get an oil change? Go by the sticker the quick lube puts in the window or go by the oil life meter?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Use the Oil Life Monitor. The quick lube places will have you coming back every 3k and that's a total waste of money! Most have found the OLM to be fairly accurate if you have a 2013 or later.

·
2,168 Posts
Use the Oil Life Monitor. The quick lube places will have you coming back every 3k and that's a total waste of money! Most have found the OLM to be fairly accurate if you have a 2013 or later.
The sticker usually depends on the type of oil they put in, most quick change places that use conventional, will put 3K on the sticker. If they put in full synthetic it will say 7.5K. I still think the oil life monitor is the best way to keep up with oil changes for the '13+ models. The older models will let it go for longer.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My Cruze is a 2012 so I guess the OLM is thet way to go then?

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Most have found the OLM to be fairly accurate if you have a 2013 or later.
I think some have found the older OLMs have changed when they got a software update for the car.

The main thing is to make sure you're running a good quality oil. Preferably a full synthetic.

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
No time is the right time to step foot in a quick lube place again. My only and first paid Oil change came with it seriously overfilled and the filler cap unscrewed with Oil everywhere. I rather enjoy stopping by the Dealer, saving money from the Quick places, and obtaining factory certified documented oil changes for $39.95 or less!

I was to get my money back according to the State Investigator, but then I found out the owner who is one scarry dude just got out of Federal Prison for lying to the FBI and raping a subject he had under arrest as a Tribal Police Officer

·
Registered
162 Posts
You should only be using synthetic blend or full synthetic in this car. Don't change types. Use oil monitoring system. It knows best.

·
Premium Member
5,534 Posts
The 2012 Cruze OLM is configured for 7500 mile alerts expressed as a percentage.

I would recommend staying in 75% range and the car calls for at least a semi synthetic, Dexos rated oil.

Rob

·
Registered
215 Posts
7,500 mi. on most any name-brand full synthetic will leave some cushion room - eliminates the fluctuation in OLM calibration over the years and establishes one more constant to judge future problems off of. Enough owner-based R&D has been done to confirm that one must be conservative with their oil change intervals and have some proof of the quality of the oil to run anything but a full synthetic in the 1.4 and expect a good lifespan. Straight conventional is a no-no regardless how short the oil change is.

·
Registered
165 Posts
20,000 with Amsoil changing filters at 3,000 is what I will be doing after I get done with dealership free changes. OLM will tell you when your oil is 90% used up is the way I look at it. And yes I know they know when I reset it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It used to be 3 months or 3000 miles back in the old days with dino oil. With this modern engine and Dexos certified full synthetic I see 7500 mile oil change interval recommendations but what if I don't drive 7500 miles in a long time, how long is the time interval? How many months would the equivalent be? 7 months or 7500 miles whichever comes first?

·
Registered
215 Posts
One year is the consensus.

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
The CRUZE came with 4 Free Oil Change/Tire Rotation/Safety Inspection services and they were to be spaced out over 2 years or every 6 months. 6 months is the old 3 months!

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
My Cruze is a 2012 so I guess the OLM is thet way to go then?
Our OLM is optimistic. Don't go past 7,500 miles. I change my 2012's oil whenever the OLM gets to 40% using the AC Delco semi-synthetic dexos1 blend.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Don't believe the 'hype' of extended oil life. Don't believe the OLM either! Just send a sample of oil run in a turbo engine beyond 5k and see how 'great' that oil still is (or isn't). Oil is still 'relatively cheap' vs. full turbo failures, engine failures, etc. Also, just because oil may last longer, most paper filters will NOT....how many are changing filters regularly even when not changing oil for 7,500 to 10k?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Don't believe the 'hype' of extended oil life. Don't believe the OLM either! Just send a sample of oil run in a turbo engine beyond 5k and see how 'great' that oil still is (or isn't). Oil is still 'relatively cheap' vs. full turbo failures, engine failures, etc. Also, just because oil may last longer, most paper filters will NOT....how many are changing filters regularly even when not changing oil for 7,500 to 10k?
A decent full syn oil will easily go over 5k in the 1.4T. I sent a couple of samples to Blackstone at 8-9k, and they all came back within specified viscocity and enough TBN to go further (I have a 100 mile daily commute, so I have very few short trips on my oil). I've only ever used M1 0W30 over its 110k mile life. Also always used genuine Hengst (ACDelco) filters at each OCI. Engine has never consumed any measurable amount of oil either. Just recently had the cam cover off due to a leak, and the valve train is spotless. Shorter OCI for me is just wasting money and time.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I should be thinking about that oil change soon. Right now my OLM is reading 31%. And I am 600-700 miles over what the sticker in the window says. Might check around at some Chevy dealerships for pricing.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I got my oil changed yesterday at a Quaker State quick lube. I was gonna go the full synthetic route but that was $74.99 but I thought that was a bit much. So for $42 and some change I just got a QS synthetic blended dexos oil. They also told me they used a paper filter. This was my first oil change with this car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Depends. Oil these days has come leaps and bounds beyond where it has come from. If you use the recommended oil from the factory, then you should use the oil life meter. If you veer off and use straight conventional, then the rule of thumb is the old 3 months, 3000 miles. Many mixed blends and full synthetics can run up from 5000-7500 miles no issues. If you've seen the oils that can run up to 10K mi, your car runs into issues still, because the oil filter cannot last that long. Most oil filters last between the 5000-7500 mi range.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am perfectly content changing oil every 3000-5000 miles. In previous cars I used conventional oil and changed it every 3000 miles. In fact one year I changed it 9 times! But I think newer cars and with using a synthetic blend could easily go 5000 miles. If I chose to use full synthetic I probably wouldn't even wait until 7500 miles...maybe 6000.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts