Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 premier here and i want to know what the correct answer is on when i should do my fist change,,do i wait till the oil life gets down to 10 percent or should i do it around 4 thousand miles? i ask this because i had a service technician tell me not to believe my owners manual and not let it go many miles over 4 grand,,any input will be thanked!

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
12,123 Posts
The tech may have seen some garbage in previous first time oil changes and made that suggestion. Me personally agree with a change after initial break in and I would do it now. After that though it will depend on the oil you choose to use. If you get free oil changes, maybe go with that if cost is an issue until they run out (assuming synthetic oil is used) and after that consider Amsoil.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I always change the oil on a new car around 1,000 miles. This is to get any manufacturing metal shavings out of the system. Today's engines are much better made so there aren't as many leftover shards of metal but they also are built to much finer tolerances so it doesn't take as many to damage them.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
I think I did mine between 4500 and 5000. I don't think there is a correct answer. I think it is simply personal preference. I might have done sooner if I could have. I bought it in Georgia with 3700 miles and had to drive it home. The dealer there was not good, I wouldn't let them change the oil, they offered and I declined.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, make a decision you are comfortable with and forget about it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts