Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 2014 Cruze used. It had 41K miles on it and i was wondering when do i take it in for an oil change. In my old car i would check the oil every other gas fill. Do I have to wait till an oil light goes off? How does this work in these cars that have all these bells and whistles? Also, I've been smelling coolant when i turn the car off.

·
Administrator
25,603 Posts
Immediately unless you have documentation showing it was just changed with dexos II oil.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Anytime we get a new used vehicle, the first thing I do is have all the fluids changed. Just good practice to start fresh. In your case the engine oil and transmission would be changed out if it was mine.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Immediately unless you have documentation showing it was just changed with dexos II oil.
Gas models require dexos1. Diesel requires dexos2.

·
Administrator
25,603 Posts

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
He may have. I'm on the app so I can't see what he has. Since this isn't in the diesel section I figured it was gas.

·
Administrator
25,603 Posts
I think you're correct. I misread the initial post.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I just got a 2014 Cruze used. It had 41K miles on it and i was wondering when do i take it in for an oil change. In my old car i would check the oil every other gas fill. Do I have to wait till an oil light goes off? How does this work in these cars that have all these bells and whistles? Also, I've been smelling coolant when i turn the car off.
Change the oil now, use synthetic oil, reset the oil change reminder. After that, wait until the DIC (Driver Information Center) on the dash tells you that you have 10% oil life remaining. Change the oil. Repeat.

·
Premium Member
5,648 Posts
The new CRUZE comes with 2 years/24000 mile free maintenance which equals 4 Oil changes. My local Oil Change place wants $49.95, the local Dealer only charges $39.95. Get to know your local Dealer as who knows what type of filter and oil these quickie places use? Even Dealers are known to use non OEM supplies, but getting to know your Chevy or G.M. Dealer is always beneficial with the 5 year powertrain warranty coverage remaining!

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Always follow the instructions in the owners manual, if you didn't find the original in the glove compartment, can download it from here.

https://www.chevrolet.com/content/d...als_and_Videos/02_pdf/2k14cruze 2nd print.pdf

Actually only cracked opened my printed owners manual once, the contents and the index are next to worthless, can't even find whatever you are looking for. And thumbing through countless pages of constantly repeated safety information, and that DMV new drivers' manual inside of this thick book is worthless. If I ever have to take a written test again that I haven't in the last 60 years, would get the manual for my state from the DMV office.

So I open the downloaded version instead and saved it, open it with Adobe Acrobat Pro, and use the search engine to find what I am looking for.

Somebody sure went through a hail of a lot of work to make this owners manuals completely miserable to use.

Anything with maintenance can be highlighted with Pro and copied to Word, even the drawings, so instead of trying to find bits and pieces scattered all over this crazy manual, and have all of it on one page. Already know the engine is hot, don't have to be told this a million times.

·
Super Moderator
5,102 Posts
After you make sure you have fresh oil in the car: I keep it simple, I change my oil @ every 5000 miles. That way I can change the oil and rotate the tires at the same time. Going by the oil life monitor, I am probably someone between 50% and 35%. No you don't need to wait for the light to go off. I don't think I have ever seen said light warning of oil change being required. I typically do it myself and use synthetic Dexos oil. Maybe Overkill, but I know it's done all at the same time.

Your call.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I book my appointment for my free oil change at the 20% mark.

·
Administrator
25,603 Posts
I do what Patman does - makes it easier for me to remember to get everything done.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts