·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Lordstown, Ohio

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
4,770 Posts
For the sedan, yes - the hatchback diesels for 2018 will still be built in Coahuila, Mexico.

·
Registered
431 Posts
For the sedan, yes - the hatchback diesels for 2018 will still be built in Coahuila, Mexico.
They're still making 2018s (in Mexico)?

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
4,770 Posts
They're still making 2018s (in Mexico)?
Well, this is an old thread. But yes, the hatchbacks are made in Mexico, because that's where they are made for global sales. At launch, it really didn't make sense to spend extra money retooling Lordstown for what might not be a very large percentage of sales. If I recall, the hatch makes up about 20% of Cruze sales, so it still doesn't make sense, financially, to add extra tooling to Lordstown to make it here - especially with low profit margins on cars.

Reactions: karmatourer

·
Registered
431 Posts
Well, this is an old thread. But yes, the hatchbacks are made in Mexico, because that's where they are made for global sales. At launch, it really didn't make sense to spend extra money retooling Lordstown for what might not be a very large percentage of sales. If I recall, the hatch makes up about 20% of Cruze sales, so it still doesn't make sense, financially, to add extra tooling to Lordstown to make it here - especially with low profit margins on cars.
Yes,the hatches are assembled in Coahuila. I've actually been by the plant when I lived in Mexico while we were on a motorcycle trip but I didn't own my Cruze back then. I think folks would be surprised at the number of assembly plants in Mexico. I counted a few years ago and the number was~20 IIRC. And have been there for decades.
I'm surprised the hatches don't sell better because the Cruze is aimed at the younger generation,though I'm elderly and drive a sedan.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I think folks would be surprised at the number of assembly plants in Mexico. I counted a few years ago and the number was~20 IIRC. And have been there for decades.
They've been there since NAFTA screwed us.

I'm surprised the hatches don't sell better because the Cruze is aimed at the younger generation,though I'm elderly and drive a sedan.
The young generation doesn't want to own cars, period.

·
Registered
431 Posts
They've been there since NAFTA screwed us.

The young generation doesn't want to own cars, period.
Well you should be happy now that your boy thinks he has a bi-lateral agreement with them. I wonder if the subject of who's not paying for the wall came up to please his acolytes.

Reactions: MP81
1 - 10 of 10 Posts