Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I have been searching on the forums but haven't really found an answer to my question. I have a 2012 cruze eco MT with about 25k miles on it. Shifting has gone notchy and 2nd to 3rd does not feel good, so I have decided to change the fluid myself. However, I haven't been able to find a place that sells GM MT fluid. The part number is 19259104. I only found one online site gmpartsonline.com that sells it. But I am trying to see if its possible to buy in stores or off amazon. I do not want amsoil or redline or other brands, since I dont want to put my warranty in danger.

Thanks

·
Administrator
15,615 Posts
The dealer is about the only place you can get it. Expect to pay $30+ a quart for it. I still haven't been able to find a justification for that given how quickly it breaks down and how awful the cold shifting is on that fluid. Haven't seen anyone come back with a warranty problem yet using any aftermarket fluid, but it's up to you.

You need 2.4 quarts per the GM spec, so over $90 plus tax for an MTF fluid change that won't even last you another 25k miles.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply. Im going to call my dealer soon and ask for a price. If not, I may consider running amsoil or redline.

·
Administrator
25,101 Posts
Go with the AMSOil. My 2012 ECO MT has really liked it.

·
Administrator
15,615 Posts
No less than a dozen people switched to AMSOIL after trying Redline. Not one switched back. AMSOIL Synchromesh was the first transmission fluid I used, which is the only reason I became a dealer to begin with.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Amsoil all the way. Even after I get rid of my cruze in several years, I'll be keeping Xtreme's number so I can get fluid from him. (he sells amsoil). It's just so unbelievably good.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Consider this another vote for Amsoil. I've had it in my car for 13,000 miles and the superior viscosity stability is obvious. I changed mine out once with factory fluid, but based on how both fills of GM spec felt and how the Amsoil has performed I, personally, see no reason to refill with stock fluid.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Since I seem to have a 2012 MT Cruze, have to frequently spray the linkage on top of the transmission. Using Liquid Wrench lubricating oil, seems to last 3-5 months, WD-40 maybe a couple of weeks. Thought about taking it apart and using Wolf's Red high temperature grease, but with my luck would probably break something.

But a quick spray sure makes a huge difference in ease of shifting. Has two ball joints and that aluminum collar on it that rotates on the shaft, and looks like it came dry from the factory. So have to shift gears to reach all of it. Do this on a slope so a good idea to put on the parking brake first. Would be nice if they put a zerk fitting on the collar so could hit it with a grease gun. But these new kids never heard of a zerk fitting.

But sure makes a difference in ease of shifting, suppose after awhile those cables would need new grease, this would be a job, but most of the problems are in those exposed joints.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts