Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a second key for my '14 Cruze today, and noticed (after getting out to the car, of course), that the new key is made in china, and has a few differences from the original. Did the OE supplier change? My original key was a Valeo unit, as indicated by their marking on the key itself. There are a couple minor differences between the two otherwise, not much difference though.

Just wondering if this one is the same quality as the OE, or if I just paid more for the same thing I would have gotten had I ordered on Amazon or Ebay. . .

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Can't help you right now, bank is closed and have to wait until they open. These keys are so expensive keep them in my safety deposit box.

I use my 75 cent a key car to drive over when I need my Cruze key.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha I'm not really concerned with the key I received, more perplexed that the dealership is selling something other than OE, especially given their prices most of the time. And I think you're right, I'll probably drive my roommates' car to the bank to lock my keys in the deposit box. . .

·
Registered
156 Posts
GM gets the keys from different suppliers. It's still considered "factory" but it may be manufactured by another company. My keys are Valeo as well, but they also use Strattec. Unless there is a noticible different in the quality and feel of the remote I doubt you were sold an ebay fob. Those are easy to tell from a factory unit.
You can tell who made the fob by looking at the slot the key rests in. There is a bunch of numbers and words in there, a GM key will say GM followed by an 8 digit number.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Mine are from Strattec, headquartered right here in Milwaukee WI. Does have a list of locksmiths that sell their keys, but for some reason, not allowed to go in there. I signed up for their site, see what happens.

Here is the link for their aftermarket sales.

Home - STRATTEC Security Corporation

We had three locksmiths in town, see we are down to two. Been about three years since I checked with them, none of them wanted to invest $12,000.00 for these slotted laser cutting equipment. But in the past for specialized GM keys, always have been 50-70% cheaper than my GM dealers, and the quality was very good.

Since they are all going this way now, maybe they made this investment.

·
Registered
271 Posts
WHERE!!!!

Got tired of searching a long time ago. Like and always did carry a spare key in my wallet.
Ebay-got the Valeo folding key and a valet with no remote--$35 for both shipped and it is NOT a laser that cuts the slot--it's simply a small mill bit and the copyier just follows the original cut key slot, best to call around on having them cut, dealer is most expensive and some locksmiths want to make you think it's a laser that cuts it--also high price and then there is the honest locksmith that charges a fair price to MILL the little slot !!

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Just asked the three locksmiths in my town with all three saying a laser cutter with my brain switched off. We had plenty of laser cutters in our plant, but strictly for cutting pieces into two. Could control the width of the cut, but certainly not the depth, so feel I have been mislead.

Width of the slot is 107 mils, depth is 48 mils, would have to be milled, Key flipped over to repeat this operation and a tracer appears to be the correct tool for this.

With a quick net search, found the mill ends, but not the duplicator, always a pain to use the correct terminology and would be nice to have a non-forum option, see more idiots this way.

Would also like to find just the key blank without he remote, OE is just using the business end of the key held in by a pin, would need to carry a pair of pliers along to turn it or weld something like a quarter to the end of it.

This wasn't very well known when GM was using two keys in the 70's one for the door and the trunk, other just for the ignition. For the door only seven different key configurations were used so if you thought your car was safe with valuables inside think again.

But didn't even need this, just a harden steel key blank on a handle would break those cheap tumblers in an instant. And the same with the ignition, locking steering wheels were a bad joke, still are, so why is the Cruze still using this? If you hit a curb in diagonal parking putting lots of pressure on that cylinder, would break the key first before unlocking it.

Then came the resistor key depending a super tiny contacts to measure that resistance, another bad joke, with a dab of coke on those contact surfaces would be dead meat. Anti-thief was far more effective to keep the rightful owner of the vehicle from starting their vehicles.

Then Hall Effect transistors came along to make sure all the tumblers were aligned first before you could start your vehicle, a tad better, but not much, with key wear, couldn't start your car if one was a tad off.

Can only guess how many slot different configurations they are using. Then with this square nosed key, has to be exactly right before you can insert it, no guides on the ignition. Took me plenty for practice to insert, but as long as I don't think about it, can do it the first time. But if I do think about it, can play with it for hours. May have to switch on my smart phone for light so I can see what I am doing.

Okay, so I am admitting I am an idiot, but like to tell it the way it is.

Maybe with always hot, extra loads on the battery with remote entry and anti-thief is the reason why we returned back after a two week stay to a dead battery in our Cruze. Never had this problem with our 04 Cavalier, even on longer stays and much colder weather. When that ignition switch was off and a real switch at that, everything was off, car started the instant I hit the key.

Feel they are just creating more new problems that never existed before.

·
Registered
156 Posts
There is a recall for the Camaro to eliminate the fob/key package, it uses a standard engraved key. You can use that same key for the cruze.

·
Registered
271 Posts
The blades are also available on good ole ebay and the duplicator is nothing but a fixture to hold the key being copied and a tracer pin that follows the slot, hardly more than a dremmel with the mill bit--think the guy said he paid $500 for it, had one of the locksmiths telling me the "Chinese" brass dulled his cutter too fast and he needed to charge me $120 to cut one key !! I paid $50 to cut 2 and the programming is a piece of cake--put original key in ignition-start car turn off and re-do with new key within a few seconds, now the push button start cars apparently you need to do this in a hidden slot in the center console, dealer was going to cost $150 for one key !! information is a powerful and sometimes costly or profitable thing depending on if you do or you do not have it !!

·
Registered
271 Posts
And yes the non remote valet keys will work on the cruze and a person needs to watch out on ebay--lots of sellers on these keys and some are just knock offs of the Valeo or Strattec keys which are made in mexico--geez who would have ever thought a Mexican product would be better than a Chinese one ! USA isn't even in the loop except for designing it--pretty sad

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Ten bucks for a generic key blank, 25 bucks for a single blank with a Chevy emblem on it, 29 bucks for key cutting service for cutting two key blanks, price is getting up there. Ha, was teasing about locking up my remotes in a safety deposit box, but thinking about it seriously.

And what is this bit about high security. Already had two my my kids cars broken into. All you need is a sharp object on that tempered safety glass with a sharp tap. I even tried this on an old window, but put this in a thick plastic bag first and just held a center punch in my hand for one rather quick and quiet blow. That glass not only shattered into a zillion pieces, it literally exploded.

This happened to our 04 Cavalier I gave to my daughter at her college. Took her goodies out of the car, but she had more stuff in the trunk they couldn't get at. Because you can only drop the rear seats from the trunk. But look at the Cruze, can drop the seats from the interior to get at the trunk. So what is all this jazz about high security?

This won't even set off the alarm, that this making any difference, wife and I spent the night with her, how can you sleep, alarms are going off every two minutes. She replied you get use to this.

About that key code number, is this a letter followed by four numerical digits? Ha, have something like this, but didn't write down what they are for. Also found I signed an agreement not to tamper with the OnStar system, ha, at times tempted to smash it.

·
Monsieur Charmant Résident
1,233 Posts
I use my 75 cent a key car to drive over (to the bank $$) when I need my Cruze key.
Nick, You're a Keeper! Please carry on carrying on. :th_dblthumb2:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts