Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the announcement of GM discontinuing the Cruze, I began to wonder which GM products currently use the GEN 2 1.4L LE2 engine?

While GM appears to have addressed the piston issues with early 2016-2017 engines, if they discontinue the car, does that mean that possibly more problems might go unaddressed?

I believe the Buick Encore uses the new 1.4L, but are there others? You used to be able to see this information on GM Powertrain's website, but it appears that this level of information for 2018/2019 models is not published or linked to the powertrain site anymore.

Thoughts?

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,895 Posts
Only the Encore so far. Would be nice if they'd nix the old 1.4T entirely from the lineup.

The Malibu/Equinox share a 1.5L derivative of the 1.4 with a slightly longer stroke and torque bump.

·
Registered
235 Posts
As stated - the LE2 is an option on the buick encore - although most come with standard LUV port injected motor. We recently bought a buick encore with the LUV engine.

My question is if they stop production of the chevy cruze sedan and the hatch - does that mean no more diesel 1.6 liter motor in the north america?

Before "dieselgate" there was talk of a buick encore with the 1.6 diesel. Add the 9 speed auto and my wife would gladly trade in her gasoline power encore for that one.... My wife loves the diesel and 9 speed auto in our 2017 cruze sedan.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,895 Posts
As stated - the LE2 is an option on the buick encore - although most come with standard LUV port injected motor. We recently bought a buick encore with the LUV engine.

My question is if they stop production of the chevy cruze sedan and the hatch - does that mean no more diesel 1.6 liter motor in the north america?

Before "dieselgate" there was talk of a buick encore with the 1.6 diesel. Add the 9 speed auto and my wife would gladly trade in her gasoline power encore for that one.... My wife loves the diesel and 9 speed auto in our 2017 cruze sedan.
Equinox has the 1.6 diesel, but with a 6AT instead of the 9AT.

·
Registered
222 Posts
the trax has a 1.4. My mother in laws has the same one as my gen 1 cruze. Not sure if the newer trax has the gen 2 version or not. The chevy website still has it listed as a 1.4 at least.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought I read earlier this year that the Sonic was going to be obsoleted, yet I see the 2019 on Chevrolet.com. I think that's built in the same factory as the Bolt, which they are keeping, so that means the Sonic might live on?

Seems weird as those production numbers have always been lower than the Cruze.

My thoughts, and just a hunch here, is that there's big electrified plans for a large factory such as lordstown. But management isn't going to announce the end of one vehicle line and the introduction of another in the same day/week.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I thought I read earlier this year that the Sonic was going to be obsoleted, yet I see the 2019 on Chevrolet.com. I think that's built in the same factory as the Bolt, which they are keeping, so that means the Sonic might live on?

Seems weird as those production numbers have always been lower than the Cruze.

My thoughts, and just a hunch here, is that there's big electrified plans for a large factory such as lordstown. But management isn't going to announce the end of one vehicle line and the introduction of another in the same day/week.
I dont think the Sonic was on the axing bench.....yet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.