Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everybody. Let me first say couple of words about myself for I'm quite a newer on this forum and I think it'd be the right thing to do. So, I'm from Europe and am here for good reason: as an one-year-old owner of Cruze, 2009 manufacturing year, I'd like to get to know more interesting and useful information about this car, but also I have a current issue (or better to say issues though the rest of them should go in another topic).
My first question to the forum members, particularly to the skilled ones, is about tires. It's actually time for my rims to get some new rubber, so could anyone share from personal experience what specific brand feels good on Chevy? I am about to have a deal with my friend who sells parts and tires for Michelin but the price bites me. In the meantime another friend of mine wouldn't recommend this mark, saying there is no need for such an expense. My point is clear: I'd rather give enough money for good product than to regret afterwards.
Any ideas?

·
Administrator
25,079 Posts
I'm probably the only person here who will say to stay away from Michelin - based on my experience with them. I have run Bridgestone on other cars and I currently have Perelli Centuranto P7 tires on both my Cruze and my son's Cruze.

I think to better answer your question we need to know what type of winters you experience. South of the Alps and you don't need snow tires but Scandinavia does.

Welcome to Cruzetalk.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I avoid Michelin as well. Over priced for my tastes. And I prefer bridgestone as well, but I've had luck with perelli and Cooper tires. Some on here like kumho as well.

My best advice is get on tirerack, find what they offer and read reviews until your sick of it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi there! I'd like to thank both of the responders and I also appreciate your hospitality. "obermd", you're right and I did want to mention it myself that winters we're experiencing here, in Balkans, may sometimes be unpredictable. The passed winter was full of surprises on the road but we tried to avoid going to places where one could get stuck.
So, thanks again for your advices, I'll probably focus now on Bridgestone too and make some more research. See you around!

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
25,079 Posts
Given your location a good all weather Mud Snow tire is probably the best option then.

·
Registered
481 Posts
It might be worth your while to find some steel wheels and wrap them in a snow tire. I did this this year and the probably saved my car in snowy situations. Just a thought.

·
Super Moderator
7,682 Posts
Nokian Hakkapellita.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It might be worth your while to find some steel wheels and wrap them in a snow tire. I did this this year and the probably saved my car in snowy situations. Just a thought.
Agree! I did it when I had Vito115 while living in more freezing eastern part of the Europe. But the problem is that back then I had spare steel wheels so that wraping them in a snow tire was just a matter of time. Now I have only one pair of aluminium ones and my location is less snowy anyway, so want to concentrate on finding appropriate ones for what I have. Thanks for the suggestion anyway! Much appreciated!!

·
Administrator
25,079 Posts
Ookey, feel like a baby-boy now who doesn't know a thing about life :/

Don't worry about it. Stick around here and you'll learn a lot. :)

·
Super Moderator
7,682 Posts
I run Hakkapelitta R2 for winter.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Cooper weathermaster St/2's are some of my favourite winter tires. They cheap and they work. Michelin x-ice can be discontinued any time, they suck.

Btw I live in Nova Scotia, Canada so I know a little bit about snow.

Sent from the sexy electrician

·
10,695 Posts
What does the 2LT come with again? Avoid replacing those with same tire when they wear down.

Bridgestone also have some oddball tires out there. My Subaru came with potential RE something and they lasted 3 oil changes.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
In just 3 years, i used 5 different sets of tires on my car from 4 different brand. (Stock 18s Michelins, 2x winter tires, 1x summer tires and now back to Michelins)

Let me explain, lol : I got the car in July 3 years ago and it cameout with a set of Michelin MXM4 HX for the RS package, at least in Canada its what we get, they were good, but not good enough to keep, since i had plans to go hardcore with my car chassis setup and wanted more grip.

Then i arrived in winter and exchanged them for a set of winter tires, since its mandatory in Quebec. They were Goodyears Ultragrip Ice WRT and they are the best winter/water tires i ever had and ive been driving for 24 years. They had incredible hydroplaning resistance and great all around capabilities for bad weather.

Then i arrived in summer and installed a set of Dunlop SP sport Maxx TT, to go with my Coil-overs and Ultra-racing bars setup, tuned the suspension on a Racetrack and with those tires, it was perfect : Incredible handling and grip, i was lapping the track faster then any stock cars, since its a small technical track. (Even STI and Speed3) They lasted only a year, but it was worth it.

In the next winter i tried a set of 16'' steel wheels with Generals Altimax arctic and its the last time i do that. Normaly we say that having more sidewall and skinnier tires for the winter is good, but in this case, this wheel/tire combo didnt work at all compared to my earlier winter setup. I had less confort, more noise, less handling, less hydroplaning resistance and the car looked like crap. I sold the 16s and the tires and will go back to 18s next winter.

This year, i went back to 4 season tires for 2 reasons : I changed my suspension to something less extreme and i wanted to be able to use those tires in the spring and fall. So im using right now Michelins Pilot sport A/S, the highest performance 4 seasons tire Michelins has and im satisfied, but not in love. They do everything well, but nothing is impressive. I used them for 2 years now and will try something new next year.

My conclusion is this : Buy the tires you need and dont be afraid to try stuff.

My advice to you : Go with either the Goodyears Ultragrip Ice WRT if you want exellent bad weather performance, especialy in the rain, or with the Continental Extreme Contact DWS for the best 4 season tire that performs well in any weather.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts