Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a k&n typhoon SRI and my car sounds amazing.

But i have a problem. My car performance is horrible. Like horrible. Definetley worse than the stock airbox.

I have alot of hesitation and slow responsive turbo power at WOT.

Everything is installed right. No air leaks, and no filter rubbing.

So i think it is the direction my MAF sensor is facing. Right now, the little diode thing with two wires (the sensor) is facing the airflow, should i reverse it? The turbulance screen is in place by the way. And battery was reset so it can re learn.

I also just bought 4 8EiX plugs, i am going to gap at .29 and maybe a tune later on. But as of now i cant tolerate my vehicle with this SRI, i can feel it being dragged down.

Registered
Sounds like a plug issue. Recheck the the plugs for damage and gap. And also why the 8 range plugs over the 7s or 6s?

Registered
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sounds like a plug issue. Recheck the the plugs for damage and gap. And also why the 8 range plugs over the 7s or 6s?
I have never messed with the plugs until now. Wish me luck i'm going outside to pull the coil rack off for the first time, hopefully i dont rip a boot. And i bought the 8 because a thread on here said they were the best for our cars.

Edit: the spark plugs are stock, i guess you thought i already had the new ones installed. So the plugs cant be the cause, right? What about the sensor direction?

Premium Member
And if the plugs are stock they are probably more a possible issue than if they weren't; stock plugs can be gapped to who knows what...give them a look-see. are all clamps/bolts tight and the piping/tubing all good?

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
It should have a an arrow with it labeled "flow" or "direction"
Sounds good i will take a look now and post back, really hoping i have it wrong...

And if the plugs are stock they are probably more a possible issue than if they weren't; stock plugs can be gapped to who knows what...give them a look-see. are all clamps/bolts tight and the piping/tubing all good?
I heard about previous models '11 '12 and/or '13 having wrong gaps but i thought they were fixed in the '14 which i have. Nonetheless i will take a look now, but i am having trouble taking the coil rack off and i really dont want to break the boots and spend $170 on a new rack. And yes all the bolts are secure on the new intake. I broke one of my stock couplers yesterday because i had it too tight, but had another, i will check now to see if there are any airleaks because of it that i might have missed. But as far as sound goes i cant hear any leaks. Please keep suggestions coming guys i really appreciate it.

Premium Member
Though I dont think you can physically put it backwards because of the screw holes. if you put it on backwards I doubt it would run at all/

Registered
You are now pulling hot air into the engine. That's your problem. Cold air from the stock intake gets heated up quickly (heat of compression) and that is why intercoolers are used, to cool it back down before entering the combustion chambers. You are probably getting drastic timing pull (towards retard) from the detonation sensor. I just watched an episode of some show on the Velocity Channel where a guy bought a turbo Porsche 911 on the cheap because it "had lost a lot of power." He opened the engine cover and discovered an SRI system (two pipes and air filters) and he then went on a diatribe about how they suck in hot air from the engine area. He then dyno'ed the engine and got XXX horsepower. He replaced the SRI with the stock air intake system that is ducted to the outside of the engine cover. He then dyno'ed the engine again and got 70 more horsepower.

Registered
You are now pulling hot air into the engine. That's your problem. Cold air from the stock intake gets heated up quickly (heat of compression) and that is why intercoolers are used, to cool it back down before entering the combustion chambers. You are probably getting drastic timing pull (towards retard) from the detonation sensor. I just watched an episode of some show on the Velocity Channel where a guy bought a turbo Porsche 911 on the cheap because it "had lost a lot of power." He opened the engine cover and discovered an SRI system (two pipes and air filters) and he then went on a diatribe about how they suck in hot air from the engine area. He then dyno'ed the engine and got XXX horsepower. He replaced the SRI with the stock air intake system that is ducted to the outside of the engine cover. He then dyno'ed the engine again and got 70 more horsepower.

that wouldn't happen with the Cruze due to the torque management

Registered
@OP
The change in diamater is skewing the maf reading, which the stock fueling calculation heavily depends on. You need to tune your vehicle to support your new intake. Either an adjusted maf table, or a trifecta ecp tune. The latter will give you 40 whp or something with your intake.

As you already can feel your intake on stock tune is like -40 whp

1 - 14 of 14 Posts