Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Whine after 30 mph 2012 eco mt

Tags
2012 eco mph whine
11K views 41 replies 14 participants last post by  Tonyb92681 
#1 ·
A couple weeks ago my car developed a whine that sounds like a power steering pump low on fluid. It is not rpm base but speed based. I'm reading a lot about transmission bearing failures. My car has 25k on it. It is not related to what gear it is in or in gear at all.

Does this sound like the bearings are failing or something else?

Thanks in advance.

Discussion starter · #15 ·
Just take the car to your Chevy dealer and get a proper diagnosis and see what the issues are, if it serious just be thankful it's under warranty. I had a 14 Eco Six speed manual, they are great cars. Keep us posted.
I will definitely keep you guys posted. I'm going to try to get it in tomorrow after work. I'm a little nervous driving it. I'd hate to see something lock up on the freeway.

Discussion starter · #18 ·
Sounds like my tranny situation, replaced at 55K miles. 30-50 mph was where I noticed it the most. The dealer said it was wheel bearings. I replaced both front wheel bearings myself and the sound was the same. They then replaced the tranny, and after a bit of a fuss, they reimbursed me for the cost of the wheel bearings because they knew they screwed up.
Sounds exactly like what I'm hearing. It does away a little after 50 but it could be road noise blocking it out.

Discussion starter · #24 ·
So, I took the car in this morning and was there for 3 and a half hours just for them to tell me that they couldn't hear the problem. Hard rain and a lot of road noise covered it up. I'll try again tomorrow after work provided the roads are dry and it can be heard.

Discussion starter · #28 ·
A little update. Stopped by the dealer and had the "master mechanic" take a ride with me. He heard the noise and thinks that it is the output shaft bearing. I'm taking the car back on Monday and they are going to tear it apart. I will update when I get a call of what the problem actually it.

Discussion starter · #39 ·
I got my car back today. $2,782 bill to GM. They realigned the front end. Do the tie rods have to be disconnected to remove the axles? The toe was off on both sides.
They drop the cradle.....it has the rack attached so, yes, the tie rods were removed from the spindles.......naturally, the toe would be slightly disturbed and re-adjustment is part of the repair.

Rob
That explains that. Thank you.

They did not tell me how much fluid was in the old one. But they did tell me multiple times that there was the correct amount in the new one.

Either way. I guess I'll swap it out for amsoil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.