Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Whining noise that varies with acceleration. 99K miles..

992 12
So I've been looking at old threads like this one-

And I'm wondering if it's been confirmed what this noise is? I'm just under 99k miles and it seems early if this is something associated with an idler pulley. Even if it is, I'm wondering if I can stretch replacement until 110k or so when it's time to do the timing belt and everything else? Car is Trifecta tuned so I guess it has had some added stress the past 30k miles or so.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For clarification, the whining sounds like a distant police or ambulance siren. When I first heard it I was convinced that is what it was until it was constant each time I accelerated. It is audible unless the air is on high or the radio is on. I also live in a hot climate (SC) if that causes premature wear.

·
The Nuclear Option
5,748 Posts
For clarification, the whining sounds like a distant police or ambulance siren. When I first heard it I was convinced that is what it was until it was constant each time I accelerated. It is audible unless the air is on high or the radio is on. I also live in a hot climate (SC) if that causes premature wear.
Is the noise level proportional to the engine speed or the vehicle speed?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's the 2.0 diesel. It definitely varies with speed but it's difficult to tell if it varies by engine RPM or vehicle speed. I want to say it's mainly engine RPM which is what made me think about the transmission. I had the cars ATF changed out in favor of Amsoil's variant about 30,000 miles ago. I'm at work at the moment but when I get a chance I'll see if it does it in neutral as well with the hood up.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,805 Posts
It's the 2.0 diesel. It definitely varies with speed but it's difficult to tell if it varies by engine RPM or vehicle speed. I want to say it's mainly engine RPM which is what made me think about the transmission. I had the cars ATF changed out in favor of Amsoil's variant about 30,000 miles ago. I'm at work at the moment but when I get a chance I'll see if it does it in neutral as well with the hood up.
Try knocking it down a gear or two in manual mode and see if it picks up in speed/intensity.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hate to say it, but that kinda sounds like a turbo in its death throes.

You might have more luck isolating the noise with a mechanic stethoscope or a paper towel tube to the ear or something to find a general location.
Bought one and the turbo does sound appreciably loud with it but are there any particular idler pulleys that need to be checked? Has anyone else had a turbo fail this early? I don't think I've seen any of the other turbo failure symptoms such as oil in the exhaust, loss of power, etc.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Took it to a local shop with the instructions to run the car without the drivebelt and see if the noise continued. I wish I could have been in the bay when this happened but according to the shop owner the noise stopped and he seems to think its the timing belt. The car just now turned over 100k miles so the 'Change timing belt' warning shows up on every startup so I'm hoping the guy didn't just see that warning and decided to tell the owner thats what he thinks it is. He also did mention that the belt seems to be 'vibrating against the cover'. Has anyone else heard of a timing belt making an audible noise like that? I'm under the impression that some people push the belt change intervals to 120k or more. Not that I plan to do that- I just want to make sure this guy is right and that the turbo is indeed fine.

·
Premium Member
2015 CTD
504 Posts
I'd have to agree turbo.
That whine sounds like it is coming from something spinning way way faster than anything the engine mechanically is spinning.

But ultimately you either trust the mechanic, take the belt off and test yourself or take it to another mechanic.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pulled the intake and found this. Thing is I don't know how much oil blowby is normal for these cars. Should there not be any? Inside of the intake also looks shiny with oil but the only pool so to speak I see is what you see at the lip of the turbo. As far as shaft play- assuming I'm even touching the right thing, there doesn't seem to be much at all which from what I've read is another telltale sign. It seems as if everything is tight.

Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Hood Rim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts