Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Whining noise when accelerating

1750 10
Weird whining noise when accelerating that sound like a bad power steering except that a 2014 diesel cruze has an electric power steering... Turbo going out of the windows? Water pump going out?
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Premium Member
14 Diesel Cruze, ‘14 volt, ‘72 442
477 Posts
It’s always good to do the timing belt and water pump at the same time. Your right there. I’m actually doing mine this weekend too. Water pumps normally won’t whine that loud and you may see overheating. Either way, check the tranny and maybe the intercooler lines might have lost there seal. How many miles/km?

· Registered
9 Posts
Well, a couple thousand miles ago, I noticed a whining noise coming from my engine when it gets revved up a little bit. It seems like the sound has been there since new, but it got louder. It finally prompted me to take it in for timing belt change. I am awaiting diagnosis, but it's likely something like an idler pulley or bearing in the belt system. Please post your theories!

· Registered
2,992 Posts
Will do, also did some research and it might be related to timing belt/water pump and it's 10,000 km over due for one so going to get that done and hopefully it goes away
you do realize its an interference engine, in that if the belt were to let go, bye bye engine?

most of the belts changed at 160k km 'looked' decent, but dunno if youre that much of a gambler or not

· Premium Member
14 Diesel Cruze, ‘14 volt, ‘72 442
477 Posts
you do realize its an interference engine, in that if the belt were to let go, bye bye engine?

most of the belts changed at 160k km 'looked' decent, but dunno if youre that much of a gambler or not
Mine only had minor cracks at 100k miles. I was nervous as hell when I first fired it up. I must have quadruple checked that the timing marks were lined up. Definitely don’t recommend gambling…

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.