Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Cruze bright white paint with the RS Package. When the car is clean, it looks great. The only problem is if it rains even a little bit, the car gets extemely dirty. And the white paint really shows every bit of dirt. Even if the car sits in a heavy rain storm, it doesn't get rid of the dirt. I have to bring it into the wash every time. I've had other white cars and none of them got this dirty. It seems like the dirt sticks to the paint. I just had the car washed 2 days ago and it rained slightly today. The car has dirt spots all over the side of the car. The top of the car (hood, trunk, etc.) doesn't get dirty. Just the sides.

I don't know if it's the paint itself that shows so much dirt, or if it's a characteristic of the car itself - it splashes up dirt from the road. Maybe the shape of the fenders with the RS Package is splashing up road dirt. The car can certainly use splash guards. That would probably help somewhat.

When I got my car, they only had 2 1LT's in stock - White and Red. My last car was red, so I wanted a different color. And the truth of the matter is when the white is clean, it looks really nice.

Does anyone else have the same problem with keeping the car clean - regardless of the color?

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
Having owned both a white car in the past and my current black granite metallic Cruze, I'm not sure which is worse when it comes to showing dirt.

·
Registered
378 Posts
i seem to get little dots getting stuck on the car when i clean it =[
the white does seem to get really dirty, especially on the doors, even with a hose it doesnt come off

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
My blue granite metallic cruze hides dirt very well. Washed it for the first time this year a few days ago, forgot how blue it actually should look(when dirty it starts to have a more grey appearance).

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,534 Posts
Gold hides dirt quite well!

Too bad its so ugly.

My black Cruze is even worse about showing dirt than my dark blue car before it. I shoulda gone for grey or something; at least our other car doesn't look dirty all the time.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Wife took our new white Cruze down to Madison where they were using these ground up tires with bits of steel in them. Took my son and me using clay bars to clean that off. Bits of rubber with tar on them, got most of it off with mineral spirits.

Then we put a double coat of this new Turtle Wax ICE premium care, this was last fall, rain really cleans it off, water still bubbles on it, and those blacks spots rinse off or with just a bit of rubbing with a sponge. Comes with an application pad, used it everywhere except the windshield, even on black. Leaves a haze, comes with a rag that easily buffs it to a bright shine. Have to say, does do what the box says. Strange in this era we live in now.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
Dude, you bought a white car...

Only vehicle color I've ever had that seemed to actually hide dirt was a champagne-beige GMC Sierra.
Primer Gray.

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
Having owned both a white car in the past and my current black granite metallic Cruze, I'm not sure which is worse when it comes to showing dirt.
Yup, be glad you didn't get black. At least the Cruze black is metallic, that helps hide it a little bit. But with black and white they almost always look dirty, really isn't much you can do about it except keep washing the car

·
Registered
183 Posts
Blue topaz metallic here, and yeah the dirt does seem to love getting stuck to my car xD
It LOVES to collect right around the back bumper under the trunk area.
The blue seems to hide the dirt well from a distance though, I couldn't imagine a white cruze D:

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
I do not feel the color has anything to do with it, as opposed to high gloss solvent paints, noted the porosity of these new water based paints is far greater where bugs a bits of tar stick with much greater adherence. Really needs a good high grade wax job.

Talked to my dealer on this issue, said I should have given him 500 bucks extra for a wax job. Just replied, I can do a lot of waxing for 500 bucks.

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
White is a trade off. It shows the dirt, but fine lines and swirl marks are just about invisible. Black is another story. Looks great, but very high maintenance to keep it looking deep and not milky.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My cruze is white also and it get dirty easily not as bad as black. I wanted a silver or gold one but the only one left with the options I wanted was white.
Same here. They had a silver one is stock when I called the dealership on a Thursday. When I went to buy the car on Saturday, the Silver Cruze was sold. There were only 2 colors in stock with the options I wanted - White and Red. My last car was red, so I wanted a different color. Also, the Cruze looked really nice in White. I don't know if it's the shape of the car or whatever, but the doors get filthy. Not a problem with the top of the car - the hood and trunk stay clean. But driving through just a light rain gets the doors filthy. And you would think if the car just sits in a rain storm, it would clean the dirt off. That doesn't happen. The doors will not come clean unless I go through a car wash. So unless it doesn't rain, I'm always driving a dirty car.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dude, you bought a white car...

Only vehicle color I've ever had that seemed to actually hide dirt was a champagne-beige GMC Sierra.
I've had other white cars. I expect them to show some dirt, but with the Cruze, it seems like it really shows a lot of dirt. I think dirt is splashing up on the doors during a rain storm. Also, the dirt will not come off by itself during a rainstorm. With my other white cars, if the car sat in a hard rain storm, as long as the car wasn't filthy, the rain would wash most of the dirt off of the car.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I do not feel the color has anything to do with it, as opposed to high gloss solvent paints, noted the porosity of these new water based paints is far greater where bugs a bits of tar stick with much greater adherence. Really needs a good high grade wax job.

Talked to my dealer on this issue, said I should have given him 500 bucks extra for a wax job. Just replied, I can do a lot of waxing for 500 bucks.
They waxed my car before I picked it up at no cost. I have the car 5 months and it's still beading quite a bit. That's where the dirt collects. When the beads dry, you're left with dirt spots.

·
Registered
300 Posts
i rather show dirt then the littlest scratches, owned 3 black cars, never again. too much **** work lol. the only plus is that the black bumpers never showed chips...the white camry and cruze the littlest chips stand out like a sore thumb.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts