Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen white smoke coming from the tail pipe while driving?
First time for me. After a few miles it started smoking a constant white fog following definitely not moisture. lasted about 4 -5 mins.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Has anyone seen white smoke coming from the tail pipe while driving?
First time for me. After a few miles it started smoking a constant white fog following definitely not moisture. lasted about 4 -5 mins.
Pretty common in very cold Temps in all the big diesels I ever drove. Never really paid attention to the cruze

·
Super Moderator
7,682 Posts
I'd be suspicious of a coolant leak.

Or maybe DEF was being dumped into the SCR.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
My first thought was a regen as others have mentioned.

·
Premium Member
3,903 Posts
I'd be suspicious of a coolant leak.

Or maybe DEF was being dumped into the SCR.
To me, white smoke has always been associated with burning coolant. It may not be, but I'd keep an eye on coolant levels. You usually can smell it in the exhaust, but I'm not sure if one could after the SCR/DPF systems of the diesel.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Could be the beginning of a bad head gasket. Once the engine comes up to temp it stops . I would have the radiator pressure tested.

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
If you're running #1 fuel and its below 50F with a fair bit of moisture in the air. I wouldn't be too concerned, that's common with all diesels even with dpf.

Otherwise... Yeah somethings up. If your EGR and DPF are working fine you should not see any white smoke. You might get some if your'e in a regen and slam the throttle, but that's about it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts