Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

who has hit the triple numbers?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
well I was on a tirp on the interstate and it was a 3 lane that turned into a 2 lane over a long rough bride. I in the left forgot the merge ahead and had a semi on the far right and a landscaping truck full of palms on the middle lane. so I proceed to speed up to not get stuck behind 2 hazards in front of me on a rough interstate bridge. I drop a gear and getting into my spot and im at 90 so I say fit lets try 100. well took a lifetime but got t 101 mph then let off. it was a very pleasant experience and the car handled super well, I know its not a race car but at least it does ok there.

THE 4TH ANSWER WAS SPPOSED TO HACE A CTD/1.4T SO OPEN TO CALL CRUZE

·
Super Moderator
5,174 Posts
At times I will be getting on the highway and in attempts to pass anything that may already be there just run thru the gears and when all said and done look down and see @ 105 - 110. Also some highways around where I live have nice down grades and with nothing in front I just lay into my Eco in 6th and look down easily see triple digits. Car runs so smooth, that speed in my Eco is deceptive. Yesterday when my son was driving on the highway, I told him to watch it because the car can/will take off and you will end up moving faster than anticipated. Don't mean to do it. Just happens at times.

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well we have all been in that position that its either speed up or be put in a dangerous place on the road. hand on my heart I would rather a speeding ticket the a palm tree in my windshield ( Florida problem lol)

·
Registered
271 Posts
I was able to get to 100 once in Mexico but it took so long to get there that it wasn't worth trying again.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
Got to watch out in the ECO MT. It will cruze right up to triple digits without a second thought on the interstate. Thank you GM for including Cruze control. :)

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The oil burner feels super comfy even at 87 85 but at 100 the motor clearly runs out of steam. now the chassis is well planted and copes well for cheap struts and the LRR tyres

·
Premium Member
2,821 Posts
Took my car to Watkins Glen for Opening Weekend and may have been close to triple digits. Additionally I had to move out of the way for an Audi moving up on me quickly and briefly hit over 100 and quickly slowed down to the limit.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I go pickup donuts every Saturday morning and on the way home I always hit 100. It's like my adrenaline rush for the week. It is very stable at 100. I don't have any trouble with it. I hit 120 in my 2015 toyota Hylander hybrid limited and that was smooth. And it got there alot faster than the cruze.

·
Super Moderator
5,174 Posts
Um, thought it was not ok to talk about illegal and dangerous activity on the forum? wouldn't this be the same level as street racing? I drive 7mph over the post speed limit every where I drive, so the fastest I will admit to going is 82mph in a 75mph zone.
Yea well I don't do it on a regular basis, it is just a once and a while happening. I just know I can do it that is good enough for me. Typically I am being passed bc I am one of those people that usually drive around the speed limit or a little over like spaced. What's the hurry besides don't want a wreck less operation ticket in Ohio and I don't want to hear it from the wife so....

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
<Mod hat on>

This thread is borderline in our rules. Please don't take it as a challenge to blast your way down a highway at 100+ MPH just to see if the Cruze can do this speed. The answer is it can. Road & Track tested a 2011 ECO MT and found a top speed of 137 MPH in 4th gear with the limiting factor being aero-drag vs. torque and HP.

</Mod hat off>

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,524 Posts
...and if you do find the need to test it out, please find a track with a long straightaway, grab a newspaper and some donuts, put your foot to the floor, and sit back and wait.

Seriously though, don't do this on public roads if there are other people around. I don't care if you hurt yourself, but there are other, unsuspecting drivers out there. If someone changes lanes at that speed, you don't have time to react, and you're both dead.

·
Super Moderator
7,812 Posts
As well folks, never drive beyond the speed rating of your tires.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
As well folks, never drive beyond the speed rating of your tires.
Once I know a tested top speed of a car I won't put any tires on it that won't handle that speed, even if I never get near that top speed. Basically this means I won't put anything less than V rated on my cars, unless they're dedicated snow tires. Summer heat can kill tires.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Sure, every time I go flying……..Oh wait……you mean the Cruze?……..uh, nope, no desire…..I got other things for those games…..Ever seen how a car, not really designed for those velocities, reacts to a tire blowout?

I don't care to find out….nor would any other driver thats on the road at that time.

Rob

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
I'm my younger years on other cars I've owned...yeah..I've seen exactly what they could do...

These days...with the anal retentive cops with Lidar...etc....nope..don't do it any more. Not to mention you can get a reckless driving charge in VA going 10 mph over the limit on certain highways.

Yep...brain dead elected officials saw fit you could do 45 in a 25 residential zone before it kicked in...but on certain rural interstates only 10 mph over will do it....because they determined 20 mph over or 80 mph will do it...and lots of rural stretches have a 70 mph limit.

At least some cops show some common sense...because they don't HAVE to charge you with reckless for 20 mph over...and many won't unless you were being stupid.

If my cruise diesel will do it or not...doesn't really bother me. I may never find out.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.