Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was coasting down a very very long and steep bridge, im shifting to a lower gear to have the engine help a little with slowing down while im off the gas. A thought hit me of when dad and i drove big rigs, then a memories of a machine gun sounding diesel came to me.( if you drive big rigs you know what im talking about, check the video link under). how cool would it be if the cruze came with a Jake brake to help in really hilly areas. yes i get that on a light duty car its not needed, in compound with higher expense for the system.

This is a hypothetical question.Would you have paid a little extra to have a Jake brake? it would help in a emegancy when brakes go out, keep wear and tear of the brakes down too

here is a video so you can hear it. notice that how that heavy rig with a trailer down hill is not building momentum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qocMoTOVn6Q

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
I live in a very hilly area, I wish my 1.4T had some sort of exhaust brake. On 9% grades or more can easily gain 15mph+ if you don't ride the brakes and downshift. If traffic allows I need to slow to less than 45mph at the top of hills to better maintain a safe speed. One city here has a 9% grade in a 25mph zone, even in 2nd, 3rd or 4th gear I gain 15mph with no brakes applied, I always try to be going 15-20mph on that hill so I don't need to ride the brakes so much.

The 2016 Chevy Colorado diesel comes standard with an exhaust brake, though it has a 7000lb+ tow rating.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Jake brake usage is banned in most of the towns around here. Just another opportunity for Officer Bob Speed to generate revenue for his town. Guess it would be OK on the open road though.

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the jake brake has good ground to stand on for being installed but i cant believe a town would outlaw them... so all those trucks that bring gas and food are gonna get a bogus ticket?
The 2016 Chevy Colorado diesel comes standard with an exhaust brake, though it has a 7000lb+ tow rating.
im happy to see that, this is a step forward and i think the consumer will like using it to save wear and tear,ontop of another method of slowing down in a emergency

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
I find the Cruze Diesel already applies quite a bit of resistance when you let off the accelerator to assist in braking. It likes to downshift automatically a lot as well (at least in my experience) when braking down a hill to assist. Of course, an increased amount could never hurt. They're usually banned/frowned upon due to how loud they are. I can't imagine one in a car such as the Cruze would be very loud.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
4,744 Posts
Personally, I find an exhaust brake to sound great...but I'm not everyone. You know how those people are that move right next to the freeway and then complain that it's too loud. The semi's exhaust brakes can get really loud.

Stoked to use one in the Colorado, when I go pick mine up. The Cruze, as mentioned above, really does well with the downshifting during coasting - it uses a lot of engine braking, compared to most automatics.

Reactions: pandrad61

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Jake brake usage is banned in most of the towns around here. Just another opportunity for Officer Bob Speed to generate revenue for his town. Guess it would be OK on the open road though.
They have those signs everywhere here, and if an officer tickets a driver they can get it thrown out of court due to the need to maintain a safe speed and the posted speed limit. No way to slow down 50,000lb+ on a hill without the use of a exhaust brake.

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
compared to a normal automatic it does do a good job with engine deceleration, would be way better with a manual and best with a Jake brake.
Personally, I find an exhaust brake to sound great...but I'm not everyone. You know how those people are that move right next to the freeway and then complain that it's too loud
sooo many sorts of special right there. why is my house always shaking and loud? well you live next to a airport and a marina that handles cargo boats.... why else would the rent of that 3 bedroom 4 bath be 500 a month

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
This is in Northwestern Ohio. Think table top topography. Our most common hills are expressway ramps. The gotcha is towns have 55 mph speeds outside the city limits and 25 - 35 mph inside. Yes, think speed trap. You just have to know where you are.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
This is in Northwestern Ohio. Think table top topography. Our most common hills are expressway ramps. The gotcha is towns have 55 mph speeds outside the city limits and 25 - 35 mph inside. Yes, think speed trap. You just have to know where you are.
In a flat area those signs make more sense to reduce noise, but here we have them even on city's with a highway/hill that reduces to 25mph at the bottom. Its like nobody has any commonsense anyone.

On one of these hills I slowed to 25mph for the speed trap, semi behind me got so close(no Jake brake use) all I could see was grill out my back window. Lucky I didn't get drove over!

·
Premium Member
4,744 Posts
sooo many sorts of special right there. why is my house always shaking and loud? well you live next to a airport and a marina that handles cargo boats.... why else would the rent of that 3 bedroom 4 bath be 500 a month
Yep - same reason that a lot of drag strips and race tracks got shut down. Tracks were there long before, people moved in nearby, knowing full well what was there, then determined that they didn't like it, and had them shut down. It's pathetic. Same reason why most outdoor amphitheatres have a "curfew" for when a concert has to end by. The Foo Fighters were thinking of just ignoring that curfew and playing past it however long they wanted when we saw them this summer - I'm sure that is until someone told them that it's a fine of $1,000 per minute.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
They have those signs everywhere here, and if an officer tickets a driver they can get it thrown out of court due to the need to maintain a safe speed and the posted speed limit. No way to slow down 50,000lb+ on a hill without the use of a exhaust brake.
rofl, sure there is

50,000 lb, lol...at the coal mine we were 190,000 lbs...no jake 12% hills, no trouble

besides you cant use your jake on ice/mud

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
speed limit at the mine loaded was 30 mph

3 miles downhill into 2 miles of 6 switchbacks at 13 mph
exactly my point, your already going slow so its much easier to maintain that speed. I'm talking about having to make an abrupt change from 60mph on a 9% or greater grade to 25mph in about 500ft distance. Physics..... this is not possible without the jake brake.

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
Can you even Jake Brake with an automatic? I thought you needed a locked connection to the wheels (manual) ???

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No many of modern semi trucks are now automatic and still have a jake brake

Reactions: Merc6

·
Premium Member
4,744 Posts
No many of modern semi trucks are now automatic and still have a jake brake
Yep - and the Colorado diesel only comes with an auto, and it has one as well.

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
the more i think abut it the more of a good idea it would be to have a factory Jake brake. since vw is now out of the diesel passenger world its perfect opportunity for gm to come in and offer a diesel passenger car in a new and exciting way. offering a Jake brake on a passenger car i think to real diesel owners would be a big hit. that's an extra 250 ft-lbs putting braking force to the ground and allowing you to keep brakes in reserve. Win win

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I don't think I would like one. I downshift to slow down and i think that's part of the reason I was able to get 145K miles out of my rear brakes and the fronts are still good. Downshifting is good enough in my opinion.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts