Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Administrator
25,038 Posts
Couple of thoughts here - first, the van was sitting in the left lane while not passing and then when it did pull next to the two trucks it never completed the pass, basically sitting in the semi's blind spot. Second, that Camaro driver is the definite cause of the accident. I wonder if the van driver didn't complete the pass because the camaro pissed him off and he was trying to "teach" the Camaro a lesson. Kudo's to the semi driver for not panicking and jackknifing his truck.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Couple of thoughts here - first, the van was sitting in the left lane while not passing and then when it did pull next to the two trucks it never completed the pass, basically sitting in the semi's blind spot. Second, that Camaro driver is the definite cause of the accident. I wonder if the van driver didn't complete the pass because the camaro pissed him off and he was trying to "teach" the Camaro a lesson. Kudo's to the semi driver for not panicking and jackknifing his truck.
+ 1

The Camaro driver tried to bully his way in so the Super Duty driver shut him down.

The Camaro driver is clearly in the wrong. The Super Duty driver is also to a lesser degree for creating a rolling roadblock to teach "dudemanbro" a lesson.

Driver following (with dash cam) is a lot braver than me. The Camaro was being stupid aggressive.... driving on the rumble strips weaving around. I would have backed way off and waited for him to pass and then used him as a rabbit.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,264 Posts
Well Eddy ya just can't fix stupid ..

·
Premium Member
2,318 Posts
You can see in the shadows on the road that the driver of the truck was actually stuck behind another slow moving vehicle, so he wasn't the person blocking the left lane at first.

What I'm guessing (I'm guessing b/c I've seen this situation many times before) is that Camaro driver had been stuck behind this long line of cars for too long, assumed the truck was the left lane hog b/c you can't see around him, and figured he'd whip around, got up there and realized there was another vehicle in front of him, but tried to intimidate his way over anyways, b/c he's a bro and doesn't want the embarrassment of his fail to complete his right lane pass.

But then the truck guy slows wayyyy down to teach Camaro driver a lesson. When the accident happens whoever was holding up the truck is long gone.

Sent with iLove 6.0

·
Administrator
25,038 Posts
You can see in the shadows on the road that the driver of the truck was actually stuck behind another slow moving vehicle, so he wasn't the person blocking the left lane at first.

What I'm guessing (I'm guessing b/c I've seen this situation many times before) is that Camaro driver had been stuck behind this long line of cars for too long, assumed the truck was the left lane hog b/c you can't see around him, and figured he'd whip around, got up there and realized there was another vehicle in front of him, but tried to intimidate his way over anyways, b/c he's a bro and doesn't want the embarrassment of his fail to complete his right lane pass.

But then the truck guy slows wayyyy down to teach Camaro driver a lesson. When the accident happens whoever was holding up the truck is long gone.

Sent with iLove 6.0
I did notice the other shadow at the beginning of the clip but you're right - it's long gone by the time of the accident. If I were the police officer responding to this accident I would be pissed enough that I would also give the Camaro driver a ticket for inoperable safety equipment. The inner left tail light doesn't work.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,264 Posts
Atleast frogs know how to do IT .. Danny tell em how It 's done ..

Let this be a lesson to ya folks . On a 2 lane highway you pass on the left and take your time passing the trucks , keep your distance . fully pass the vehichle on the right . then merge over with a proper leading distance . and maitain that lead ..

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,536 Posts
Atleast frogs now how to do IT .. Danny tell em how It 's done ..

Let this be a lesson to ya folks . On a 2 lane highway you pass on the left and take your time passing the trucks , keep your distance . fully pass the vehichle on the right . then merge over with a proper leading distance . and maitain that lead ..
And don't pass on soft ground in a RWD car.

With yer new Mustang, Brian.

·
Premium Member
7,715 Posts
Technically they both are. The truck was clearly stoking the fire, which is just as illegal in a lot of cases.
Not as illegal as trying to pass on the median. I think the worst you can prove about the pickup truck driver is a left lane violation for failing to pass. But I think that's a pretty minor violation.

I think I would have followed from a further back distance. The guy following would have been in a world of hurt if there was a panic stop. It's pretty clear the Camaro driver was really hot to get around the guy.

·
Premium Member
7,715 Posts
Driver Kiran Thapa, 32, of Columbus, Ohio, was later charged with aggravated driving while intoxicated, a misdemeanor. State police said his blood alcohol content was .19 percent. Thapa was also charged with first-degree aggravated unlicensed operation, a Class E felony.Thapa was arraigned in Town of Batavia Court and remanded to Genesee County Jail in lieu of $2,500 cash bail or $5,000 bond.

Good!

·
Premium Member
4,080 Posts
The truck driver was the innocent victim of all this, if he was an owner driver this would most likely send him broke by the time his insurance is settled.

·
Premium Member
7,715 Posts
The truck driver was the innocent victim of all this, if he was an owner driver this would most likely send him broke by the time his insurance is settled.
Which truck are we talking about? The big rig or the work truck? If you're talking about the big rig, I agree.

The work truck played a minor role. I'm not sure how that's going to work out with him. If he drives for a company, thanks to the video, it could go on his record. That's not defensive driving. If that's his own truck, he might only be inconvenienced.

But I hope they string the camaro driver up good. Between DUI and unlicensed, he sounds like a serial offender. If I was a betting man, I'd guess that he'll end up being released to make room for violent offenders and he'll be back driving unlicensed and uninsured.

·
Premium Member
4,080 Posts
Which truck are we talking about? The big rig or the work truck? If you're talking about the big rig, I agree.

The work truck played a minor role. I'm not sure how that's going to work out with him. If he drives for a company, thanks to the video, it could go on his record. That's not defensive driving. If that's his own truck, he might only be inconvenienced.

But I hope they string the camaro driver up good. Between DUI and unlicensed, he sounds like a serial offender. If I was a betting man, I'd guess that he'll end up being released to make room for violent offenders and he'll be back driving unlicensed and uninsured.
Sorry what you call a truck is a Ute to me, the big rig is a truck. Language difference here.

·
Premium Member
2,318 Posts
If I were the police officer responding to this accident I would be pissed enough that I would also give the Camaro driver a ticket for inoperable safety equipment. The inner left tail light doesn't work.
Haha I love that.
Plus the reason for the accident is basically his novice ability to handle a RWD vehicle, right? (And I say this as someone who has almost no experience with RWD)

*edit* I posted this before reading the other replies.

Sent with iLove 6.0

·
Premium Member
2,318 Posts
Not as illegal as trying to pass on the median. I think the worst you can prove about the pickup truck driver is a left lane violation for failing to pass. But I think that's a pretty minor violation.

I think I would have followed from a further back distance. The guy following would have been in a world of hurt if there was a panic stop. It's pretty clear the Camaro driver was really hot to get around the guy.
Oh I totally agree the Camaro guy was "more" wrong, but still, if you are found to be toying with an aggressive driver I think you can get in trouble for that. But now that I see he was drunk at the time that def changes things.

Still, in some situations this story would have ended with Camaro driver shooting at the driver of the truck. :/ best to try not to instigate, though I'm guilty of teaching people lessons myself. :(

Sent with iLove 6.0

·
Administrator
25,038 Posts
Driver Kiran Thapa, 32, of Columbus, Ohio, was later charged with aggravated driving while intoxicated, a misdemeanor. State police said his blood alcohol content was .19 percent. Thapa was also charged with first-degree aggravated unlicensed operation, a Class E felony.Thapa was arraigned in Town of Batavia Court and remanded to Genesee County Jail in lieu of $2,500 cash bail or $5,000 bond.

Not good enough. At .19 that driver was 2.375 times the alcohol limit in every state in the US. That should have been a felony charge with immediate loss of vehicle upon conviction. Our drunk driving laws aren't tough enough and they need to include loss of vehicle.

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
We don't know how fast everyone was driving and what the speed limit was there. The camaro driver was the only idiot I saw. And the only one that should have been charged.

When some moron tries to cut me off like that....I match the speed of the car next to me too, for as long as I can. Otherwise I'd be more than happy to let them by.

Also the car with the dash cam was following way too close for their own safety.

This isn't the Autobahn, and its not Germany. The fastest guy on the road doesn't have the right of way.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,536 Posts

Not good enough. At .19 that driver was 2.375 times the alcohol limit in every state in the US. That should have been a felony charge with immediate loss of vehicle upon conviction. Our drunk driving laws aren't tough enough and they need to include loss of vehicle.
I reckon he already took care of the vehicle loss part on his own.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts