Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there.

I am new to Cruze and just got a used (2011 turbo LT) a few weeks ago. I did my research in searching for and purchasing this car. It seemed like a reliable option within my budget. However, the engine light has already come on in this car. I was not expecting any issues so soon. The code it's thrown is P0300 which is random misfire, which means it can be anything. I am not panicked yet but I cannot take it to a dealership until Thursday of this upcoming week. In the meantime, I'm stuck driving the car I bought this Cruze to replace.

I have come on here for ideas of what may be a known issue causing the misfire and I am seeing a lot of threads about a lot of issues with these cars. I would like to hear from any Cruze owners who have Cruze's with 50k+ miles and have not had a ton of issues...I am looking for encouragement, or hope that this car will be reliable in the long. I bought it as-is, no warranty and I know that cars break down and require maintenance. The first thing I did was get the oil and filters changed-- but I was not expecting the engine light to come on so soon. Can I hear some positive stories and feedback about your Cruze's?

I am wanting/needing this car to last me as long as my last one and the first few weeks have not been promising...

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
I have a 2013 Cruze LTZ mine doesn't have 50k miles but the only things I had repaired were under warranty. Engine leak and trans leak & a few other minor problems. But I can say now it's still running as good as the day I got her.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,207 Posts
They definitely have their share of known issues, but it seems to be luck of the draw for whether or not you get a good one.

I'm 4 years into mine, about the same mileage as you, and it's been pretty good to me aside from a few teething production problems within the first few thousand miles.

P0300 - start with the ignition system. Spark plugs, coil pack - check that the springs in the coil pack are straight (just straighten them with a pencil or something), and make sure that the plugs are not fouled up and are gapped near .028". These cars seem to be fairly sensitive to ignition issues.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I'm at 50,000 with my 2012, purchased new, and hasn't been into the shop once. This car has the craziest things happen in terms of smells, and if it wasn't for the forum I would have never thought to replace a $0.59 cent O-ring.

P0300 is ignition. Either the coil pack on the top of the engine, or the plugs. Both of which have youtube video's. While I know learning car stuff can be intimidating the forum has covered more issues than what you would think.

And our forum is active and there's a lot of people willing to help..

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
81,000 miles on my 2012 ECO MT. I've had spark blowout and other ignition issues - none severe enough to throw a code. Start with the spark plugs and coil pack. If a coil pack ignition boot is torn you'll also have issues so verify the boots are good. Be careful pulling the pack off as the boots do have a tendency to tear. Replacement pack is anywhere from $80 to $110 or so but you can do the replacement yourself.

·
2,254 Posts
I've had my 2012 Cruze since October of 2015, and so far the water pump (warranty), drivers door speaker, and trunk release switch has went out. The other day both of my visor mirror covers fell off into my lap.

Sure, it has its quirks, but I enjoy driving it so much the pros outweigh the cons.

Plus the community here is extremely helpful with repairs and tips, so I really am not worried about anything.

·
2,168 Posts
Hello! Bummer to hear you're already experiencing issues. Fortunately these cars are relatively cheap/easy to service. Hope you're able to get that sorted out.

My brother has had his '11 Eco manual 1.4T since January 2012, he's put on 45,000 miles. He has only changed the oil and tires. It's still in good mechanical shape, however the interior and exterior have suffered from lack of cleaning so it looks nasty. I bought my '14 1.4T manual 1LT March last year, and have put on 23,300 miles since then with no issues. I love my Chevy. The Cruze is just so practical, affordable, and I think it looks excellent.

Reactions: jsusanka

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
2012 Cruze here with 169,000 miles. Sure, I've had what I consider to be a few minor issues, but it has never left me stranded.

You can be sure I will be purchasing another one by the end of the year, by which time I will have as many as 200,000 miles on my Cruze.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
I had a similar code come up at 85,000 miles on my 2012, changed the spark plugs and coil pack and it has not returned in over 10,000 miles so far. GM changed the maintenance schedule for the plugs from 100,000 miles to 60,000 after 2011. My guess since the car is used the previous owner did not preform this maintenance.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,272 Posts
Yada yada yada ...yep me loved me cruzen too ...aside is this a word now ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They definitely have their share of known issues, but it seems to be luck of the draw for whether or not you get a good one.

I'm 4 years into mine, about the same mileage as you, and it's been pretty good to me aside from a few teething production problems within the first few thousand miles.

P0300 - start with the ignition system. Spark plugs, coil pack - check that the springs in the coil pack are straight (just straighten them with a pencil or something), and make sure that the plugs are not fouled up and are gapped near .028". These cars seem to be fairly sensitive to ignition issues.

Thank you! I appreciate this advice.

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
You know minus all the issues my Cruze has, I really enjoy my Cruze. Its a really great little car, it sporty saves tons on gas. Mine has roughly at I'd say around 63,800+ miles & hope to get to put around 100,000+ miles on it before trading it on a new Cruze, once I get it out of the shop haha.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Coil pack is also what my mechanic initially suggested. So let me ask you this -- since this is my current dilemma - do you think it's worth just putting in a new coil pack and going with it or should I take it to a dealership to have it thoroughly inspected (for the problem causing the engine light to come on) by a GM/Chevy expert? I know my mechanic will charge about as much to fix/replace the part as the closest dealership would to diagnose the problem. It's just that I don't want to replace the coil pack and have that not be the underlying problem causing the misfire and engine light warning...

I have had my previous car, the one the Cruze is replacing, at my mechanics almost constantly the last 10 months. I just want to not have to take any car to the shop for a while. Any advice? What would you all do if you were in my place?

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,207 Posts
If you JUST picked it up, take it back or make a call to the dealer you bought it from and see if they'll fix whatever's wrong with it as a sign of good faith for selling you a broken car.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Coil pack is also what my mechanic initially suggested. So let me ask you this -- since this is my current dilemma - do you think it's worth just putting in a new coil pack and going with it or should I take it to a dealership to have it thoroughly inspected (for the problem causing the engine light to come on) by a GM/Chevy expert? I know my mechanic will charge about as much to fix/replace the part as the closest dealership would to diagnose the problem. It's just that I don't want to replace the coil pack and have that not be the underlying problem causing the misfire and engine light warning...

I have had my previous car, the one the Cruze is replacing, at my mechanics almost constantly the last 10 months. I just want to not have to take any car to the shop for a while. Any advice? What would you all do if you were in my place?
I would not just replace a coil pack without seeing what else could be the cause of the problem. It could be a torn sparkplug boot, or a loose spark plug, or something else where throwing money at it with a new coil pack may not fix the problem.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
I bought it as-is, no warranty and I know that cars break down and require maintenance. The first thing I did was get the oil and filters changed--
I assume this was a private sale, since you have no warranty.

Also, what kind of oil did the garage use when your oil was changed? The LT (with turbo) requires an oil with a Dexos brand rating, semi-synthetic or even better, full synthetic oil.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Not bad. Next summer I think I'm trading mine and getting a hemi with the 8 speed or a new aluminum f150 with a 5.0L, however rumors are saying a 10 speed is coming out in 2018 so I may wait a year.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts