Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I have a '14 LTZ RS. I previously had the same model but a '12. Why did GM go away from the little black proximity sensor on the outer door handle. I love my '14 but if there was one thing I liked about the '12 it was this. Before I could just walk up to the car and as long as I had the key on me, I could open the door. Now I have to push the button on the door handle. Seems like this move is taking a step back with technology. Was there a big reason for this?

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Hey guys,

I have a '14 LTZ RS. I previously had the same model but a '12. Why did GM go away from the little black proximity sensor on the outer door handle. I love my '14 but if there was one thing I liked about the '12 it was this. Before I could just walk up to the car and as long as I had the key on me, I could open the door. Now I have to push the button on the door handle. Seems like this move is taking a step back with technology. Was there a big reason for this?

First world problems..

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
My guess is that the "button" handle mechanism is cheaper to produce. We haven't seen anyone reporting the original handle system failing, so the only thing I can think of cost. Perhaps another incident of "decontenting"?

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,272 Posts
Now I know I did the right thing , or half way right .
Should of bought the ECO with out the whistles and Bells that would only annoy Me .

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
"A smart key is an electronic access and authorization system which is available as an option or standard in several cars. It was first developed by Siemens in the mid-1990s and introduced by Mercedes-Benz under the name "Keyless Go" in 1998 on the W220 S-Class following its design patent filed by Daimler-Benz on May 17, 1997."

Also used the push button, since this patent just expired, GM could use it without paying royalties.

Was going to look into these things with the question as to how do you get into your vehicle if your remote is wet or either it or the vehicle batteries are dead. Haven't done this yet.

My remote got wet while kayaking, least I had a key to get in and start the car. Least it starting working again when I got home, took it apart and dried it off. Whoever said rice works is nuts.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm onboard with the thought of it being cost. I haven't heard of any problems with the door prox door sensors either. Unlike the trunk release that does have problems. I truly liked the '12 door handles better. I think this was a bad move on GM's part. I'm not sure if this was already a change in '13 or new for the 14's. Just seems like something waiting to go wrong with the possibility of moisture getting in there just like it does on the trunk release. I know they scan these forums so I'm sure someone from there will read my post. I'm not complaining, I just think they took a step in the wrong direction with this decision.

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
If the key gets wet and will not unlock like normal obviously you can just use the key to get in but then there is the push button start.. Right under the emergency break is a spot for loose change or what not.. If you pull that little piece up you can put the fob in and the vehicle will start..

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not so much worried about it not functioning or not, well not at this point anyways since it's only 3 weeks old. I just feel it was a downgrade on GM's part. This was the primary reason for my post. Generally the cars get better from year to year with new technology. A button on the door handle is not new technology.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
If the key gets wet and will not unlock like normal obviously you can just use the key to get in but then there is the push button start.. Right under the emergency break is a spot for loose change or what not.. If you pull that little piece up you can put the fob in and the vehicle will start..

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Didn't know they are still using a key on this proximity remote. Something else I completely overlooked on the Cruze before buying it, only one door lock. When test driving, key was always in the ignition and the doors were opened. And didn't know its no longer a 75 cent key, but a 55 buck one.

Wasn't until the next morning, I realized I was having problems inserting the key in the ignition switch, but after two years of ownership, finally getting good at this. Will never leave the Cruze unless the remote is in my pocket. Not even for a second.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.