Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok ,so i have the keyless start on my 2012 cruz, the other day i walked out of work opened the trunk tossed my coat (with the key fob in the pocket,)into the trunk,naturally slamming the truck afterword. I then procede over to the door and grab the handle to open it and ....nothing....i proceed back to the trunk to open it and grab the fob and ....nothing!!!!! I was locked out! . I just cant figure out why the trunk wouldnt reopen ! i mean the fob is now inside the car(trunk)and closer to the sensors! Do i need to change a setting or is there something wrong with my car? If this has happened to anyone else i would love to hear from you,or if you know how to fix this i would appreciate the help!

·
Registered
104 Posts
My wifes 2013 has the keyless start as well and I would think it would be some sort of security feature. I know that when we have done that with her purse when going places it does the same thing. But I still have my key so it will open anyways.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Quick guess is that when you tossed the fob in the truck, that it hit the Lock button and locked the car when you closed the trunk. A few others, including myself, have been locked out of our vehicles. It's the only thing I can think of as to why it happened.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I know it honks at me if i leave my keys in the car but I don't have experience with locking them in my trunk.

You could always unlock the car with your phone if you have the OnStar App.
Only if you're an Onstar subscriber. My trial run out and my app doesn't do allow me any access.

OP, when you put your jacket in the trunk, did you unlock the doors or just open the trunk separately? I assume that if you never unlocked the doors, the doors would stay locked even if you opened the trunk. Maybe it's some weird programming bug where if the system is armed (I don't think opening just the trunk dreams the alarm but someone please correct me if I'm wrong) it doesn't scan for the fob inside the vehicle.

Also check your options and see if you have anti-lockout set. I believe that's the option that pop's the driver's door unlocked when you leave your key.

Worse case, maybe there is no sensor INSIDE the trunk at all.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Only if you're an Onstar subscriber. My trial run out and my app doesn't do allow me any access.

OP, when you put your jacket in the trunk, did you unlock the doors or just open the trunk separately? I assume that if you never unlocked the doors, the doors would stay locked even if you opened the trunk. Maybe it's some weird programming bug where if the system is armed (I don't think opening just the trunk dreams the alarm but someone please correct me if I'm wrong) it doesn't scan for the fob inside the vehicle.

Also check your options and see if you have anti-lockout set. I believe that's the option that pop's the driver's door unlocked when you leave your key.

Worse case, maybe there is no sensor INSIDE the trunk at all.
You should still be able to use the app. Just not for all the functions (nav, and fuel left, etc.). I have a 2014 and I still have access to those features and my onstar account was not renewed when it expired.

·
Registered
747 Posts
You should still be able to use the app. Just not for all the functions (nav, and fuel left, etc.). I have a 2014 and I still have access to those features and my onstar account was not renewed when it expired.
Yup. The promotional emails I received to me if you use a fob feature of the app at least once during the OnStar trial period, you have access to the fob features of the app for up to five years for free regardless of whether or not you continue the OnStar subscription.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Cruze Talk Forum,

I just wanted to provide some clarification. Key fob functions on your RemoteLink application are functional without an active OnStar subscription, in select 2014 vehicles. Hope this helps!

-Johnua, OnStar Advisor
Social Media Team
So the 2014 Cruze is a "Select Vehicle"?

Reactions: spacedout

·
Registered
747 Posts
Cruze Talk Forum,

I just wanted to provide some clarification. Key fob functions on your RemoteLink application are functional without an active OnStar subscription, in select 2014 vehicles. Hope this helps!

-Johnua, OnStar Advisor
Social Media Team
Hmm, okay. I guess that rules out your 2012, unless you have an active OnStar subscription.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Do not have remote start on my Cruze, not available with a manual transmission. Was my wife's choice, either a manual or remote start.

But the trunk release is completely independent of the door locks, so when carrying my grandson in one hand and a bag of groceries in the other, have to hit both the trunk release and the door unlock buttons, and make darn sure I have the remote in my hand. Set the groceries in the trunk so I can tie up my grandson in his car seat, but make darn sure the remote is in my pocket or else won't be able to start the darn thing.

Son with all three got a vehicle with a proximity remote, with a T&C, can program what opens, so slides both doors open and electrically lifts the trunk, but also carrying a 4 month old in the other hand. There he can climb in after tying up three little ones, hit a starter button, than take off.

So what you need is a proximity remote, does the Cruze even offer this? Until then, keep your remote in your pocket. Don't have to tell you the consequences if you don't.

So how did you get out of this? Still looking for a spare key I can slide in my wallet. Saved me more than once, especially when hauling a bunch of kids, they can distract you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Cruze Talk Forum,

-Johnua, OnStar Advisor
Social Media Team
lol and I have a 2013.

Reactions: Merc6

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
ChevyMgr,

The 2014 Chevrolet Cruze does contain the required hardware needed to use the RemoteLink key fob functions for up to five years without an active OnStar subscription. I hope this answers your question!

-Johnua, OnStar Advisor
Social Media Team

Thank you.

·
10,712 Posts
Reason my keys are on a "D" ring and attached to my belt loop. I am that guy who accidentally leaves his phone on the USB cord so it's in the car canceling out my active OnStar app and calling OnStar from the app.

Sent from my iFail 5s

·
Registered
747 Posts
I just had a random thought that perhaps the proximity remote system is designed to do this on purpose in case you have a spare key in your coat/suitcase/bag, whatever in the trunk.

Then again, it seems like blocking proximity signals from the trunk would be more expensive and complicated than it's worth for those rare few cases where someone leaves a key in there, so probably not.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts