Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im curious to see why people joined CruzeTalk.

For me, I love customizing, working and everything about cars. Been in automotive engineering and testing for 13 years and have tinkered with cars since I could walk. I cant stand having a car that is like every other. Forums for me are nice cause they share tons of info, some good some bad, from everything from repairs to customizing ideas. Also, listening to people claim there 2 cents is FACT is amusing sometimes.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,913 Posts
I'm a car guy, and I've been on multiple car forums for probably 15 years or so now, and always have enjoyed it. As you said, it's nice to share on a car forum and get feedback you'd otherwise never see, find out how to modify/repair things (since I generally do most repairs/upgrades myself), and see what other people have done with their cars.

I'm also an automotive (mechanical) engineer, so being able to help even just one person makes it worth being on the forums.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
The Sonic Owner's Forum is the first forum I was active with. I aggressively modified my Sonic, and I'll aggressively modify my Cruze. While I'm modifying, I usually learn a good bit about the platform in general, and like to share the information I find. It may not benefit me at the exact moment, but I'm always available to help anybody that has questions. That's why I have my personal cell in my signature.

·
2,254 Posts
I like forums in general, when they're well moderated.

This one is well moderated and that's why I stuck around.

Then I became a moderator! Woohoo!

Reactions: Merc6

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
I came here in 2013 at the invitation of 70AARCUDA who has since sold his Cruze and transitioned out of the community.

Back in 1995 and the early days of the Internet I joined the National Association of Impala SS Owners (NAISSO) and we had a listserv arrangement that would fire off an email to all members once a dozen or so posts were received. There wasn't any forum per se. The technology didn't exist at the time.

I later joined gminsidenews.com in 2005 that was my first forum.

I also belong to coloradofans.com, cadillacforums.com, thetruthaboutcars.com, gmauthority.com, cadillacct6forum.com, etc.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I came here to learn more about my Cruze. Looked at a couple of forums and settled here.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I learned the hard way about discussion groups when my 90 Miata had the misfortune of getting stuck in reverse while I was on a trip. Turned out a gentleman in Colorado had identified a shaft bearing problem that would cause the transmission to get stuck in reverse when a spring attached to the shifter wore out sufficiently. Based on his work, Mazda eventually issued a recall of early 5 speed transmissions (and I was able to get a transmission rebuild refunded by Mazda based on that).

Miata.net, Mini2.com and NorthAmericanMotoring.com (MINI forums), and Hyundai-Forum.com (for the spouse's 09 Sonata) were and have been extremely useful in finding fixes, ideas and techniques for customizing/modding, etc. When I bought my '13 Eco CPO from a dealership, finding a discussion group was pretty much step 1.

(Finding a Nissan Maxima forum when we were looking for what eventually became the 09 Sonata helped us avoid a lemon of a low-mileage 07 Maxima (transmission in that generation was junk and that forum saved us from that))

Reactions: jblackburn

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,488 Posts
I think I came here shortly after buying my car. I never realized that NEW car forums were this active (if you look around at others - they really aren't).

I first joined car forums at Matthew's Volvo site and it taught me a lot about pretty intensive DIY maintenance on my own car. My dad did basic things like oil changes, spark plugs, tune ups, etc on our cars over the year, but they never really needed anything serious. After owning a POS Honda that sucked my wallet dry at shops in college, I dumped it for the 9-year-old Volvo. Fantastic car, but it wasn't exactly super reliable either. Being a poor college student, that forum taught my a lot about working on stuff myself to keep costs way, way down, and I dived into a fair number of projects on my own. Members over there were extremely helpful and knowledgeable, and they eventually made ME a moderator.

I found much the same kind of knowledgeable folks over here at CruzeTalk when my 2012 started its shenanigans shortly after purchasing it. And I have always enjoyed helping out others with advice - something that I am happy to do having been in the same situation where I needed advice/help with something that could potentially be quite expensive.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
To talk to people about my (then) new diesel Cruze! I had no idea I'd ever become this involved.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
To talk to people about my (then) new diesel Cruze! I had no idea I'd ever become this involved.
That's what happened to me and women.

Reactions: Merc6

·
10,712 Posts
I've always joined the forums of the cars I had. 1st car was a Neon so neons dot org is where I was. I ditched the car before 2ng was formed. Got a Mazda 6 (Part of the Merc 6 user name, there's a whole thread about that) Moderated there for a bit. Got an 03 Marauder(Merc part of the user name) and joined that forum. Sold the 6 and replaced Marauder with the Legacy in my sig and still post on those forums. Got a Buick and I guess I'm still a mod there. Buick went for Cruze and I joined here just after the Lordstown meet that year. Then I got the Accord and now I'm constantly between 3 forums at a time plus the 2 Facebook groups for here.

·
Super Moderator
5,171 Posts
I came here to learn more about my Cruze. Looked at a couple of forums and settled here.
I joined here after I bought this "new car" in 2011 and wanted to learn more about it. This is actually the first car forum I have ever belonged to. Most my other cars I just drove and that was it. Of course a few of them were Oldsmobile and I don't even know if they had a forum for Aleros and Cutlasses? besides I just drove them and knew most everything I needed to know about them already. But I just wanted to learn more esp since this was a new body style that I bought and didn't know too much about the 1.8l engine and 6 speed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I usually join the forums of the cars I own. Some are VERY involved like Trailvoy.com (Chevy Trailblazer forum), and some are pretty quiet like durango.net (Forum for my Durango). I'm on here, priuschat.com (for the wife's '12 Prius) and the previously mentioned durango.net. This forum is where I got the info on getting negative batter cable replaced.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I figured...well, I may have done something really stupid in buying a first year car (14 CTD). So I figured I'd find out how many other like minded idiots did the same thing.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
I joined when I bought new 14 Cruze eco. Enjoyed learning more about the car, like newer tech stuff, read on here about the ctd traded for that and knock on wood, haven't any issues with either Cruze. Been on other forums but they never really held my attention. This forum is a nice mix of do it yourselfers and just people that care about their Cruzes, it is very nice to have some idea of common problems.

It took me a little while not to let someone else's problem not to influence my thoughts about my car. The ctd has some common issues and I enjoy reading about them. I generally don't normally keep a car for long, this forum has helped me sense a deeper connection to my Cruze and not interested in driving something else at moment and that is due to this forum.

·
Premium Member
2,821 Posts
Joined to learn about my ECO, had been lurking for about 5 months before joining. First forum I joined was an Alfa V6 Transaxle car forum, then LS1 GTO forum before joining CT.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Like others, I'm a car guy. I always join a forum of the cars I own to find out more about it and see what others have to say. I was active enough on my PT Cruiser forum that I became the moderator over there and I'm also on two Corvette forums right now. There was one other Cruze forum but that was DOA so settled here and always hit the "Active Topics" button to see what's new.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Im a huge GM fan, at 23 ive owned 5 of em, loved and had good luck with all. I ran a 98 blazer as a daily and wanted a econo-car as a daily, became an elec5rician and was on the look out for a new work truck.

I recently bought a 2004 ford ranger because i just couldnt part with my cruze! This forum has been incredibly helpful in providing me the plethora of information needed to do anything from preventative/regular maintenance to the most intricate projects I've taken on, thanks to all the helpful moderators and intelligent members here

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.