Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Why do my dipped bowties look terrible?

1908 Views 9 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  SkullCruzeRS
I just dipped my bowties today, and the edges look terrible. I taped off everything, applied 3 coats of dip, then cut along the edges with a knife (don't have exacto knife) while peeling the tape, but my edges still look terrible. I also feel like if i wipe the bowtie too hard with a towel or anything that the dip will start peeling. Will glossifier help that? Are there any stores that carry the glossifier or do I have to order online?
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
I just dipped my bowties today, and the edges look terrible. I taped off everything, applied 3 coats of dip, then cut along the edges with a knife (don't have exacto knife) while peeling the tape, but my edges still look terrible. I also feel like if i wipe the bowtie too hard with a towel or anything that the dip will start peeling. Will glossifier help that? Are there any stores that carry the glossifier or do I have to order online?
Try cutting the outline before peeling, remember this stuff stretches so if you are pulling and cutting its going to shrink up on you.

sent from my cruze doing 90 on the freeway all gas no brakes

· Premium Member
909 Posts
Get a sharp exacto knife and score everything before you peel it. If you're not making a clean cut to begin with, you'll never have a clean edge.

I did mine this weekend and they came out perfect

Reactions: EcoDave

· Registered
273 Posts
Put tape to the middle of the chrome so you paint over part of it. 30-45 mins after applying final coat just peel the tape away. The dip will cut itself on the edge of the chrome. No need to do it manually.

I would use 4 coats as well.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
This. There is definitely enough of a gap between the chrome trim and the inner bowtie for the edge to cut itself while removing the tape.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.