Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of my buddies have other turbo cars ( Volkswagen Jetta, Subaru WRX, Lancer) and are all pushing 250+ HP.. why is the Cruze so weak sauce? The fuel economy can't be the excuse, for there are plenty of larger non-turbo 4 bangers with equal or greater economy...

I want to make my car get a reputable HP boost but it looks like I'm going to have to spend thousands... Is it even worth it?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,534 Posts
Because it's 1.4L and has a super tiny turbo?

The Cruze was designed for low RPM torque, great drivability in city driving (something other turbo cars like the WRX and Lancer are absolute crap at), and highway fuel economy.

Small turbos = low RPM power (torque). Big turbos = high RPM power (usually with gains of lots of HP but immense lag).

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Subuaru WRX turbo:2.5-liter Turbocharged Flat-4. That's a lot more than 1.4L. As pointed out above, it's for mileage and using a small motor to do what a larger motor does, like the 1.8L engine in the LS. Quite honestly, I'd rather have a 2LT with the 1.8L engine, but that's not the way Chevy designed it. Notice, there is no "performance" model of the Cruze, like your examples. Yes, you will spend thousands to "boost" the performance of the 1.4L motor beyond a tune and the slightly larger turbo that is available on the market that fits in the existing manifold, but it's not all that impressive. It's not the first engine to be marketed that had so very few options to increase the factory power. Perhaps it's time to trade if hp is the holy grail for you. Here's a starting point:

http://www.endtankusa.com/store/index.php?_a=product&product_id=4

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
Part of the reason the Cruze doesn't have any engines greater than 1.99 Liters is due to European taxes. Even the Cruze CDT's engine is actually just below the magic 2.0L mark. Remember, GM sells the same basic car all around the world. What really surprises me is that GM didn't make the ECO the base model in the US and the 1LT, 2LT, and LTZ upscale versions of the ECO.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
I really think they need to make the most fuel efficient engine in the base model at least, with them showing the LS's 36 MPG in commercials but not telling about the higher options it makes it look mediocre in Fuel Economy accrossed the whole line.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
I really think they need to make the most fuel efficient engine in the base model at least, with them showing the LS's 36 MPG in commercials but not telling about the higher options it makes it look mediocre in Fuel Economy accrossed the whole line.
Film the same commercial but put different voice overs and offers for the various models - just make sure the offer is for the model being advertised. Last year, before the EPA announced the penalties against Hyundai/Kia for overstating their fuel economy numbers across the board, Chevy was advertising the ECO MT's fuel economy but then quoting the LS's lease rates. We had one thread here started because someone bought an LS AT thinking it would get the 42 MPG highway.

·
10,712 Posts
You can’t compare mpg of a FWD with AWD. My Subaru is well beyond what the Cruze will see in performance but my Cruze is well beyond what my Subaru will see in MPG. As I got older I realized 1000 WHP is useless if you spend 90% of time in traffic or on roads that won't allow you to use it to its full potential.

As for 1.4 being the base engine, how much more would the insurance rate go up on a young driver on a turbocharged car?

Chevy making a perfomance version of the Cruze, why not? If they can make a 12 MPG $2600 gas guzzler taxed Camaro, they can give us a somewhat fast car. Issue is they want to say all models make X mpg highway.​

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
You can’t compare mpg of a FWD with AWD. My Subaru is well beyond what the Cruze will see in performance but my Cruze is well beyond what my Subaru will see in MPG. As I got older I realized 1000 WHP is useless if you spend 90% of time in traffic or on roads that won't allow you to use it to its full potential.

As for 1.4 being the base engine, how much more would the insurance rate go up on a young driver on a turbocharged car?

Chevy making a perfomance version of the Cruze, why not? If they can make a 12 MPG $2600 gas guzzler taxed Camaro, they can give us a somewhat fast car. Issue is they want to say all models make X mpg highway.​
The engine itself costs quite a bit more also. Having a $21,000+ starting point for the Cruze would not be very competitive in the market. The reason i think you won't see an SS version is the car is fairly pricey already and most people who want performance aren't going to drop $30K on a Cruze when you can pick up a Camaro (or many other cars) with better performance for the same price or less. Yeah there would be draw from the sport compact market but probably not enough to warrant the investment when there is so many higher performance cars of all kinds in that price range.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,534 Posts
The engine itself costs quite a bit more also. Having a $21,000+ starting point for the Cruze would not be very competitive in the market. The reason i think you won't see an SS version is the car is fairly pricey already and most people who want performance aren't going to drop $30K on a Cruze when you can pick up a Camaro (or many other cars) with better performance for the same price or less. Yeah there would be draw from the sport compact market but probably not enough to warrant the investment when there is so many higher performance cars of all kinds in that price range.
Same with the Focus ST and Hyundai Veloster - the "sports compact" market is a very niche market in the US at best. To date, the VW GTI has been the only real big seller, and it's just a fantastic car all-round.

The "hot hatch" is HUGE in Europe though, where big engines and big sports cars are much less popular.

·
Super Moderator
5,175 Posts
I put the trifecta tune on my 2012 ECO and I am reminded of my 2002 /2003 Aleros when it comes to power. Sure it is still not up to the power of a V8 but it does much better on the throttle response and still returns 37 MPG in the City. I cannot complain. I did not buy this car to compete in street/road racing I bought it for the MPG. Why did you buy yours?

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
My insurance went down by nearly $1,000 a year when I traded my non-turbo charged Lancer GTS MT for my Cruze ECO MT. My son, who drives Penguin LS MT, was on the Lancer and on my ECO. At least for USAA the fact that the car has a turbo isn't a major factor. Also, if the small turbo chargers used by both GM and Ford were going to send insurance sky high, neither company would be selling their small turbo cars nearly as fast as they are. Ford's EcoBoost system is a small turbo charger.

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
And to be honest, while the Cruze Chassis is competant and light on it's feet it would need major upgrades to compete with the current sport compacts, which would also add a lot of cost. End all is it was never designed for performance, it's too tall, wheel base is too narrow, chassis is too primitive to compete with the like of a GTi, WRX or EVO and to make it competitive would probably put it near Camaro SS territory. Now if you really want that to change and feel that strongly about it start lobbying GM through any means possible. Sooner or later the car WILL be redesigned and if the demand is there from the populace you may get your way (ala Camaro Z28)

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
My insurance went down by nearly $1,000 a year when I traded my non-turbo charged Lancer GTS MT for my Cruze ECO MT. My son, who drives Penguin LS MT, was on the Lancer and on my ECO. At least for USAA the fact that the car has a turbo isn't a major factor. Also, if the small turbo chargers used by both GM and Ford were going to send insurance sky high, neither company would be selling their small turbo cars nearly as fast as they are. Ford's EcoBoost system is a small turbo charger.
Keep in mind the Cruze is domestic and the Lancer is foreign, you will almost always pay a higher premium on an imported car due to the risk of the cost of repais in an accident. Was teh Lancer AWD? if so that adds a big chunk too.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
And to be honest, while the Cruze Chassis is competant and light on it's feet it would need major upgrades to compete with the current sport compacts, which would also add a lot of cost. End all is it was never designed for performance, it's too tall, wheel base is too narrow, chassis is too primitive to compete with the like of a GTi, WRX or EVO and to make it competitive would probably put it near Camaro SS territory. Now if you really want that to change and feel that strongly about it start lobbying GM through any means possible. Sooner or later the car WILL be redesigned and if the demand is there from the populace you may get your way (ala Camaro Z28)
I would tend to disagree with you. Chevy took a 1.6L cruze, which we don't get in the states unfortunately and did some serious winning in europe in the world touring car championship (FIA WTCC). The car IS modified, but not much...most of it is stuff that could theoretically be done in factory.
Reading through the rules:
Must be a production car, with at least 2500 units made in the 12 months before the beginning of the season (and holomogated by the FIA)
1.6 T engine, with max turbo pressure of 2.5 bar (36psi) after a 33mm restrictor. (mind you, chevy claims 310HP out of that engine in race configuration). They are allowed to change: the turboback exhaust, intake/exhaust manifold can be changed as long as the homologated dimensions "are respected", pulleys, trans (most teams go with a sequential box).
they cannot change: heads, pistons (except to adjust CR), valve, cams, belts, flywheel, I assume turbo, etc.

as far as body/suspension goes, they can't change the body at all, unless it is homologated, and it looks like there is a seperate homologation spec for the suspension, which I assume they change to something like race coils. roll bars can be installed, track is free (which I haven't seen published for the cruze unfortunately, this is where I suspect there's a bit of difference between road and race), the wheels must be no larger than 9x17 (which is just wider than stock?). That seems to be about it.

Basically what I'm getting at is that the cruze could well be a challenger to a sport compact market. For the US: bring in the 1.6T, put it on slightly wider wheels, a bit more agressive suspension and you're not too far off from the WTCC car. The possibility is there.

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
I would tend to disagree with you. Chevy took a 1.6L cruze, which we don't get in the states unfortunately and did some serious winning in europe in the world touring car championship (FIA WTCC). The car IS modified, but not much...most of it is stuff that could theoretically be done in factory.
Reading through the rules:
Must be a production car, with at least 2500 units made in the 12 months before the beginning of the season (and holomogated by the FIA)
1.6 T engine, with max turbo pressure of 2.5 bar (36psi) after a 33mm restrictor. (mind you, chevy claims 310HP out of that engine in race configuration). They are allowed to change: the turboback exhaust, intake/exhaust manifold can be changed as long as the homologated dimensions "are respected", pulleys, trans (most teams go with a sequential box).
they cannot change: heads, pistons (except to adjust CR), valve, cams, belts, flywheel, I assume turbo, etc.

as far as body/suspension goes, they can't change the body at all, unless it is homologated, and it looks like there is a seperate homologation spec for the suspension, which I assume they change to something like race coils. roll bars can be installed, track is free (which I haven't seen published for the cruze unfortunately, this is where I suspect there's a bit of difference between road and race), the wheels must be no larger than 9x17 (which is just wider than stock?). That seems to be about it.

Basically what I'm getting at is that the cruze could well be a challenger to a sport compact market. For the US: bring in the 1.6T, put it on slightly wider wheels, a bit more agressive suspension and you're not too far off from the WTCC car. The possibility is there.
Yea and a price tag of 35,000 might as well buy the Mercedes sport compact. But I could see someone adding a motor transmission and beefing up the suspension for cheaper. Anytime car manufacturer s produce a sporty car line they jacked the prices up due to warranty issues that might occur from lead feet.

Sent From My Galaxy Note 3.
Which is bigger than my hand.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Yea and a price tag of 35,000 might as well buy the Mercedes sport compact. But I could see someone adding a motor transmission and beefing up the suspension for cheaper. Anytime car manufacturer s produce a sporty car line they jacked the prices up due to warranty issues that might occur from lead feet.

you think it would be that much more? If they didn't have an engine already designed that could drop in, sure, but the 1.6T is a thing everywhere else in the world but the states (which leads me to believe emissions are part of why we don't have it maybe?)...I love the cruze, I think it's a stellar looking car and fun to drive...i'd drive the **** out of a Cruze-R, or whatever it would be called...maybe I'm just odd

edit: Look at the ford fusion/fiesta RS: it's mid 22k price tag, with performance, agressive suspension, looks, etc.

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
Yea I wouldn't have a fiesta lol its a sonic for cruze money. And yea shipping in special motors from over seas since there not manufactured here would be expensive then you have G.M selling them for more like they always do. I looked at buying a supercharger for my factory car one time they wanted almost 6 grand to install.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts