Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so all cars with internal combustion release harmful emissions into the atmosphere. gasoline is clean in most respects now a days but we do all to reduce its CO2. As we all know diesel has a major NOX contributor. both cars in 2015 have emissions systems to scrub away as much harmfull elements as possible. i like this since it keeps our air cleaner then open headers.

My complaint is why do we the people, owning diesels allow our goverment to single us out? when a gas car has a bad catalytic converter a CEL comes on but no harm or penalty to the driver. a gas driver can drive this pouting 2015 Gasser until the wheel falls off. when our new modern diesels ( CTD, pickups/big rigs too) have a emissions malfunction the goverment insisted on us being limited to a max of 45mph for x amount of miles; at this point then continues to basically slow you to a crawl and that's it. at this point your only option is the dealer.

why have we the people, owning diesels let this hypocrisy go on? im for making smart emissions systems, but all or nothing. if a Gasser has a malfunctioning emissions system they should suffer the same consequences as us diesel owners. it doesn't seem smart to limit a cars capacity due to a emissions malfunction. hope your near a town with a chevy dealer when this happens or your sold in the middle on no where.

what do you all here think? are we being singled out as "polluters" and thus must suffer huge consequences of emissions CEL or do i have a point

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
"Citizens United" Big Oil money tells the government what they want and you (and I) get what they want. You have no say in what our government does anymore. Get used to it.

"Save your strength for things that you can change
Forgive the ones you can't
You gotta let 'em go" Zac Brown

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
where was the outrage in 2004 when this was done to big rigs?

eggsactly

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Agreed boraz. either have them all the same or none. its not fair the epa gets to nit pick as we have allowed it to. gas should be under the same scrutiny as diesel.

"Citizens United" Big Oil money tells the government what they want and you (and I) get what they want. You have no say in what our government does anymore. Get used to it.
if we the people and i mean all this great nations citizens and patriots took to our elected now non representing representatives and gave them a piece of our mind then the peoples will would be enforced. unfortunatly we as a people have become complacent and sole divided over the dumbest things.

·
Administrator
25,603 Posts
It's worse that you think. Gas SUVs and other light duty trucks are allowed significantly higher emissions limits and their safety standards are lower than those of cars. Also, in most states with emissions inspections, a CEL will automatically fail the vehicle - gas or diesel. Even if the CEL is related to the ABS or other safety system.

If you want change the only way to do so is to literally vote out the bums and vote in a different set and hope to heaven and **** that you don't get Fooled Again.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have heard that before. that a manufacturers will allow the big $ making suv and pick ups less efficient and more powerful WHILE THEY USE THE LITTLE CARS SUCH AS THE CRUZE AND SPARK TO GET FLEET EMISSIONS IN CHECK

·
Registered
355 Posts
Here in NJ once May hits vehicles older than OBDII won't even have to go through emission testing.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
I hear your concern, VW did more to perhaps give Diesel a bad reputation recently than anything else. I think when GM comes out with 2nd generation diesel Cruze they need to advertise it and how clean it is. Should be doing it for the Colorado and I don't see it. I personally have more important issues to worry about. Just drive your car and enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well this is way before th Vw scandal. the moment all these emissions got stuck onto diesels, the diesel owners should have acted. why do we get more cost, more forced complexity, more cost of ownership, more head aches. why do gasoline owners get a pass

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
well this is way before th Vw scandal. the moment all these emissions got stuck onto diesels, the diesel owners should have acted. why do we get more cost, more forced complexity, more cost of ownership, more head aches. why do gasoline owners get a pass
If it concerns you so much, buy a gas car. There are a lot of things in life that may not be 100% fair. You knew all of this before you bought the CTD, why complain now? I was well informed by being on the forum prior to buying a CTD so I am not bitching about what could happen. Seems like not a good use of my time, and having said that, shared my view. Best of luck.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i knew these issues before buying but im 100% trouble free since 0 miles to today, and i drive 80% city. its not about the Ctd issues you misunderstood me. im curious why we allowed elected legislators to allow the epa to place such restrictions on a diesel but not gas. its not fair that we allow one fuel type superb leniency and condemn the other.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
i knew these issues before buying but im 100% trouble free since 0 miles to today, and i drive 80% city. its not about the Ctd issues you misunderstood me. im curious why we allowed elected legislators to allow the epa to place such restrictions on a diesel but not gas. its not fair that we allow one fuel type superb leniency and condemn the other.
Legislators don't just vote one issue so it's not as simple as you are implying. I have had zero issues as well. Not that many years ago diesel trucks and cars were awful with pollution so they have worked on that issue on both sides of the aisle. I like clean air to breathe so this is a part of the price to be paid. I think we are going to continue to do things to have clean air. Gas cars have emissions issues as well. I am done commenting on this issue. It's a waste of time to think the issue is as simple as people we elect on one issue. There are some issues with some diesel cars but honestly GM has done a decent job on the CTD. I sure don't want to go back to diesel trucks and cars spewing all the pollution they use too. To me if you can't fix the emission issues if they ever happen maybe it would be better to just ride a bike, no pollution there and no expensive issues there. Your in Florida so maybe a bike would be better solution? Obviously you probably don't want to ride a bike.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I can say I am not a fan of the potential, but I bought the car knowing it, and fortunately never had an issue that caused the "limited speed" message to be displayed in 163K miles.

I do think it's strange that it's mandatory on diesels which only are a small fraction of the total cars out there.

Reactions: pandrad61

·
Administrator
25,603 Posts
We don't. What we do have however is an engine that doesn't emit nearly as much NOx to start with. The flip side is that gasoline engines emit far more carbon based emissions without special work. This was dealt with in the 70s via catalytic converters, which greatly increased the complexity of gasoline emissions systems and had their own technical and non-technical issues (remember grass fires).

·
Administrator
25,603 Posts
I wonder if the speed limitation on the CTD with an emissions problem is more to protect the engine from excessive back pressure in the DEF system. Internal combustion engines are designed for a specific range of exhaust back pressure - what happens to this pressure when the DEF system is clogged?

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
There are pluses and minuses to everything. I don't have a spare tire either, if I have a flat and the inflate thing in trunk does not fix it I have a problem to deal with. My main issue is complaining and or talking about it doesn't change anything in my view. Electing a different person probably won't change it. If something happens we all just have to make the best decisions at the time. It's kinda like debating day light savings time, yes we can have a debate but if it doesn't change anything it's just all for not in my view. Unless you do a delete on emissions which is illegal don't see much there is to do about it.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Legislators don't just vote one issue so it's not as simple as you are implying. I have had zero issues as well. Not that many years ago diesel trucks and cars were awful with pollution so they have worked on that issue on both sides of the aisle. I like clean air to breathe so this is a part of the price to be paid. I think we are going to continue to do things to have clean air. Gas cars have emissions issues as well. I am done commenting on this issue. It's a waste of time to think the issue is as simple as people we elect on one issue. There are some issues with some diesel cars but honestly GM has done a decent job on the CTD. I sure don't want to go back to diesel trucks and cars spewing all the pollution they use too. To me if you can't fix the emission issues if they ever happen maybe it would be better to just ride a bike, no pollution there and no expensive issues there. Your in Florida so maybe a bike would be better solution? Obviously you probably don't want to ride a bike.
I like clean air so that's why i do own a motorcycle, to keep my fuel consumption low and impact as well. again your missing my point. i know gas have emissions too, ive had to replace cats on a few of my vehicles. MY POINT IS WHY DO WE GET THE 45MPH RESTRICTIONS and GAS DON'T. doesn't that seem unfair? my cruze gets a emissions CEL im sol untill the dealer, my jeep gets a emissions CEL and i can keep going as long as the jeep runs.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wonder if the speed limitation on the CTD with an emissions problem is more to protect the engine from excessive back pressure in the DEF system. Internal combustion engines are designed for a specific range of exhaust back pressure - what happens to this pressure when the DEF system is clogged?
i would love to know if this is the case, then at lease i know its not big brother mucking it up but to protect the environment and our engine

Reactions: obermd

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
I like clean air so that's why i do own a motorcycle, to keep my fuel consumption low and impact as well. again your missing my point. i know gas have emissions too, ive had to replace cats on a few of my vehicles. MY POINT IS WHY DO WE GET THE 45MPH RESTRICTIONS and GAS DON'T. doesn't that seem unfair? my cruze gets a emissions CEL im sol untill the dealer, my jeep gets a emissions CEL and i can keep going as long as the jeep runs.
I get your point, and you do have one. I just don't get my underwear in a knot on what could happen and 99.99% of the time doesn't happen. I don't make the darn emissions stuff on gas or diesel, just a guy that loves a car that isn't perfect. Never owned a perfect car and you haven't either.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
nope

its there to make you not ignore it

1 - 20 of 54 Posts