Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just joined here. Thanks for your open forum. For the past few days, my girl and I have been looking for a nice car for her. Today, we were about to purchase a nice, clean, blue, 2013 Chevy Cruze LS. 1.8, 63k miles, 1 owner, $10,455 from a local dealer. I know the salesman as I have purchased another car through him and my friend is the body shop manager...so, no real problems here. So, just came from my local vehicle repair place and spoke to my mechanic who I've been using for 25+ years and knows his stuff. Wanted his opinion before putting down any money. He told us that the Chevy Cruze is known to have some problems (I know....all vehicles have some problems) but he, especially, cautions us that these cars are know to have their timing belts (from what I've read here, this car has a belt and not a chain) blown apart because they're plastic. In addition, he said that Chevy changed their timing belt suggested replacement at 90k, then reduced it to 60k, then reduced it to 40k. Joined this forum for any help youse guys can help us with in making some sort of decision. We really like the car and almost bought it today, but after talking to my tech......Would like opinions ASAP since I've got an appointment with my tech to check out the car.
Thanks for reading.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,531 Posts
The timing belt has not been an issue for the 1.8L engine whatsoever, and the interval is still set to 97.5K (perhaps he was thinking of the older 1.6L engine from the Aveo). The 1.8 is a safe buy IMO - most problems are associated with coolant leaks from the thermostat housing, so that's one to watch out for. The intake manifold tuning valve fails on occasion.

Other than that, the engine has been around since the Saturn days...it's not a powerhouse, and it's a little bit thirsty for what little power it makes, but it's about what you'd expect if you compared a Civic, Corolla, or Sentra with the 1.8L as well.

If it's an automatic, have the transmission fluid changed & make sure that the cooler hoses are not leaking.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
You should probably find a new mechanic.

You're going to keep asking people until you find someone that echoes what you want to hear. Just go buy the car. They're stout little cars that are fairly dependable.

·
Super Moderator
7,813 Posts
Time for a new mechanic. Whoever he is doesn't know what he's talking about and cannot be trusted again. Simply talking out of his hat and spouting old wives tales. Stay away from him in the future.

Buying a car is very often an emotional decision. Like falling in love.

The problem is that you expect rational results from your car: i.e. it works every time.

This is what makes buying a car so hard - the friction between an emotional decision and rational results.

The lowest risk is to always buy with a manufacturer's warranty, with roadside assistance. It won't be cheap - but it will be priceless if you ever need it.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
Find a new mechanic. He doesn't know anything about the Cruze. Yes, the timing belt on the LS needs to be replace every 100,000 miles and yes, it isn't a straight forward replacement since it goes around one of the engine mounts, but no, it hasn't been an issue for our members. The biggest gripe our members have had about the LS is the lack of factory installed cruise control. There is a GM kit but plan on $400 to $500 depending on the dealership to install it, and yes, it has to be purchased as a kit and installed by a dealership to turn on the feature.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A BIG THANKS to all that responded. I like the way you guys feel about your cars and your comments are appreciated although I didn't quite like reading the concerns about my tech. I have a call into my salesman and will ask about the cruise control issue. Maybe that's why we could not get it to work when we took the Cruze on our test drive?? Again, thanks for this forum and all your information. I'll let you know if we buy the car. Any other things to be aware of before we purchase the car would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
We don't mean to be rude about your tech, it's just he's got years of experience on a ton of cars; we have years of dedicated experience on this one car, compounded by a think tank of thousands of members.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We don't mean to be rude about your tech, it's just he's got years of experience on a ton of cars; we have years of dedicated experience on this one car, compounded by a think tank of thousands of members.
Exactly my thoughts. Still, wondering if any other issues we need to be aware of. BTW: This car does NOT have cruise. How interesting. I would never have guessed that this is not standard as, it seems, that most cars come with cruise.
Aside, here is a funny thing that just happened: While on the phone with my salesman, I gave him all the info that you guys posted for me. He went to look at the car and that's when he determined that it does not have cruise. I asked him to find out if his dealership can install it. He phone me back and told me that they can install an 'aftermarket' one but suggested that a GM dealership should install their own and it would be about the same price. I said that I told him that I was interested only in a GM product. It was then that I realized that he is a FORD dealership. I never owned a Ford product (until I purchased my '14 Mustang from him about a year ago...actually, never even sat in a Mustang...don't say anything bad...I really love this car!) so no wonder I was so confused. He is calling a Chevy dealership, for me, to get a price.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
NADA trade in value for this car is only $4,800.00 if they even offered this much for it. Ha, back in 2008, the year of that crash Ford dealer was offering huge discounts on new vehicles. Drove in my four old 04 Cavalier Sports Coupe with only 28,000 miles on it, not a scratch on it, only offered me $1,500.00.

Ha, could never buy a car in such good condition as this for $1,500.00, if all this car is worth, will buy it from myself. This is only one example, never ever was I offered anything close to the NADA trade in value.

With this knowledge went to a Ford dealer, would only buy a used vehicle from a new car dealer, only keep the good ones, poor ones go to auction, been there, done that. Found a clean 98 ZX2 for my youngest kid in 2003, had a sticker price of $6,500.00. Checked the fluids didn't do a thing to it, was okay on a test drive. Slapped down 33 hundred dollars bills, said I would take it including tax, registration, and license plates. Are you kidding? No, already know you only laid out around $1,500 for this car, you can get rid of it and pocket 1,500 bucks. Said no deal, goodbye, before I could make it to the door, said sold.

Back in the 50's, everybody was trying to keep up with the Jones's, in 1958 picked up a really nice 1954 88 Olds Holiday coupe for 350 bucks with only 42K miles on it. But this is ancient history, today the key reason for getting rid of a car is the maintenance cost for lack of any other word, outrageous. Something to keep in mind.

For what its worth for competitive dealer pricing, vet discount, $4,700 on my old GM card, picked up that 2012 2LT exactly the way we wanted it, ordered from the factory for $5K more than you price for an out of warranty vehicle. It had a brand new radiator, new tires, actually new of everything.

For a used vehicle, always have to do something to it, safety inspections are BS, as long as the pad wear indicators are not touching the rotor, brakes are okay, this list really adds up. What about the tires, another 600 bucks, ha, with the LS, forget about cruise.

Never thought I would see the day when its cheaper to buy a new car. Yeah, they try to sell you maintenance insurance for only $$$$$.

Would do some more shopping.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
The car might be ok, I am with Nick, that is an insane price for a car that new with rebates could have been bought for 15 or 16k. I had a 14 eco 6 speed manual listed for 21 and I paid 16k for it brand new.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
If I'm honest, i've got Cruzes on my lot that are 2014+ for about that price with less miles.

If you'd like some buying advice from someone that sells Chevrolet vehicles every day, you can PM me, email me, or text me. All my contact info is in my signature.

·
Super Moderator
7,813 Posts
If I'm honest, i've got Cruzes on my lot that are 2014+ for about that price with less miles.

If you'd like some buying advice from someone that sells Chevrolet vehicles every day, you can PM me, email me, or text me. All my contact info is in my signature.
This is a worthwhile offer from a salesperson who knows more about these cars than pretty much any of his colleagues.

Reactions: EricSmit

·
10,712 Posts
3rd the above. My 13 1.4T Eco with same miles and Factory installed Cruise Control sold for like $10K. Rule #1 is don't fall in love with the very 1st car you agree on. You end up rushing into the sale and then later regret you didn't get these 4 features after you joined the forum and found out more info. I pretty much got my car off of a quick mobile phone search and later found more info after joining to confirm I jumped the gun.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
I gotta say, even though I was just reading along that price for an LS seems high. It'd have to be exceptionally clean and/or well maintained - like, more than the salesperson even knows. Only something a trained eye can tell from looking at and driving the car. And I get having a mechanic you like, but I agree with others that this particular one may not be all he's cracked up to be. I've never heard a word about 1.8 timing belts being sketchy.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Use to carry one of those yellow NADA used vehicle books. Not only had a range of trade-in and retail values, but also loan value. Ha, use to argue this thing I was looking at is only worth this much to a bank.

Today, you have to carry a smart phone to get an idea what the thing is worth.

Only person I trust to determine what a vehicle needs to be safe for my kids to drive, is me. One thing I really look for is mods, good to walk away from, unless the price is very cheap. Prefer buying from a new car dealer, can take it home for three days. You can also ask about the warranty, ha, used car dealers around here give 30 days, and 50-50 for repair costs and only buy them, a very good way to get screwed.

Buying from a private person, some won't even let you drive it, claim no insurance on it, no problem, my insurance covers it.

In this crazy state, also need a notarized bill of sale showing exactly what you paid for it, or the IRS will hit you for excellent retail value, greedy SOB's.

This is what I paid $3,300 for back in 2003.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sedan Compact car

It needed brakes, some muffler and PCV, and a new water pump, was around another 700 bucks for parts.

Old saying is when buying a used vehicle, buying someone else's problems. For a kid, sure can't afford to pay for collision and comprehensive insurance. This car got my youngest kid through college, after this, they are on their own. Ha, make sure they get a degree that is worth something, none of these basket weaving degrees.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts