Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible that some late build 2016 Limiteds with the 1.4T got the new Cruze 1.4 T with more hp and tq?? i only ask this because the 2016 Limited i picked up last week is so much faster than my 2013 or 2014 1.4 T.. i can actually feel pressure between my back and the seat. lol. from a 50 roll it kills my old one. maybe a bad wastegate?? lol any ideas/

·
2,170 Posts
Is it possible that some late build 2016 Limiteds with the 1.4T got the new Cruze 1.4 T with more hp and tq?? i only ask this because the 2016 Limited i picked up last week is so much faster than my 2013 or 2014 1.4 T.. i can actually feel pressure between my back and the seat. lol. from a 50 roll it kills my old one. maybe a bad wastegate?? lol any ideas/
Take a picture of the engine bay and some close up shots of the engine particularly near the turbo, they have a different design that should be noticeable. (Right click open image in new tab to enlarge)

Old: LUJ 1.4L Turbo

New: LE2 1.4L Turbo

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
I would think a look at the RPO letters on the 2016 Limited vs. the earlier models would tell the answer. If the engines are different, the RPO designations on the documentation would be different also.

Reactions: chevrasaki

·
2,170 Posts
I would think a look at the RPO letters on the 2016 Limited vs. the earlier models would tell the answer. If the engines are different, the RPO designations on the documentation would be different also.
This is another good way to make the distinction. The sticker in the glove box should have either LUW/LWE for the 1.8L naturally aspirated engine, LUJ/LUV for the first gen 1.4L turbo engine, or LE2 for the new redesigned 1.4L turbo.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
I haven't followed the Limited models, but is it possible that Chevy changed the transmission, or final drive, ratios for the Limited model?

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Good questions Jim, but I think the answer is no change. This is based on the EPA numbers for the Limited versions. They're identical to the 2012-2015s.

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
Reactions: chevrasaki

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Maybe your 2014 had something wrong or adjusted incorrectly. My 2014 puts me back into the seat and pulls hard - as long at it doesn't have heat soak, and the humidity isn't too high. It has noticeably less response with high humidity, or when the intercooler hasn't had much air flow. I have seriously considered the FMIC.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
The Limited designation is used to differentiate the 2016 1st Generation model from the the 2016 2nd Generation model. Two completely different cars. Chevy seems to be using that label on other models also. As in "for a limited time only".

Reactions: obermd

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
The 1.4 installed in the 2016 Cruze Limited engine/transmission specifications published indicate no changes from prior years.

That being said, all manufacturers 'tweak' things a bit with each model year and the engine programming may have been touched up a bit.
Not necessarily to increase power/torque but possibly improving power production at a lower rpm.
This, naturally, would make the car feel more 'lively' for lack of a better term.

Compared to my 2012 eco, the 15's and 16's do feel more responsive at throttle 'tip in'......the moment you begin to move the pedal.
This would lead me to think that the percentage of throttle opening relative to pedal position, may have been either increased or a response delay to pedal command has been reduced.

All speculation but I have seen manufacturers do things like this in the past......tighten this a bit, reprogram that a bit.....like I said, 'tweaking'.

Rob

·
Registered
574 Posts
so the new cruze does not have a DI engine like in that link I provided? or new tranny? it is the same engine in my 2014 but a little tweaking like you guys stated above? I feel dumb sorry it's snowing again :(

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
so the new cruze does not have a DI engine like in that link I provided? or new tranny? it is the same engine in my 2014 but a little tweaking like you guys stated above? I feel dumb sorry it's snowing again :(
Don't worry - it's confusing marketing BS. The 2016 Limited is a Gen 1 Cruze. The 2016 is a Gen 2 Cruze. This is going to cause confusion for years to come.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts

This is the 2016 Cruze with the DI engine, not the old body style "Limited".

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
The 2016 Chevy Cruze Gen 2 has a all new 1.4 T with DI & all new trans.

·
2,170 Posts
Don't worry - it's confusing marketing BS. The 2016 Limited is a Gen 1 Cruze. The 2016 is a Gen 2 Cruze. This is going to cause confusion for years to come.
Very true. I think the limited is a way for GM to sell the remaining 2015 models as a "2016" so it's not technically a year old yet. They might have a bunch of stock left of the Gen I to get rid of. It might have also been due to delays in the Gen II production, not sure why the Gen II release has taken so long. Most other automakers have been selling their redesigned 2016 models since the start of fall 2015.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts