Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I talked to the service manager at my dealers, said my VIN indicated already has one. But got him to come out and look for it, he couldn't find it either. So we walked back to the parts manager, he said the same thing, even printed out a line drawing showing what it looks like and how its mounted. But he didn't believe me nor the service manager and also walked out to my Cruze and couldn't find it either.

So its finally on order, should be in a couple of days.

Did make one error, thought it was sheet metal, but said its plastic, should have known better than that, everything else is plastic. An ounce of prevention is my motto.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Yep, it's plastic.....but thats a good thing because it wont dent or corrode.

Kind of interesting piece......it simply shields the horizontal tubes but allows air (and pebbles I guess) to bop the fins.
No worry though, the fins really can be deformed a bunch and not affect the ability to cool the refrigerant.

Rob

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
It just got me to wondering, if my VIN already says I have one, what else does my VIN say that I have, but don't.
I suspect the omission is just one that fell through the cracks.......I have visited assembly lines and in this case I believe the condensers would be racked with the shield already installed.
It gets pulled off the rack and installed on the vehicle.....the assembler probably would not even have a moment to notice this condenser is short a shield.
Looks like the plant is averaging 20k units a month...5 days, 3 shifts......yikes, looks like 42 roll outs every hour.
Not a lot of time to see if every component made it and the amazing part is, it works out just fine 99.99999% of the time.

But, strange things do happen in mass production......be it widgets or cars.

Hate to tell you how many "you gotta build it" things I've purchassed over the years missing the entire hardware package or some critical part.

Rob

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will learn that tomorrow, list price is only 17 bucks and willing to pay that if I have to. But seem to have a very strong argument that my VIN says it should have come with the car. Did mention, will be happy to install it myself, they already know I do my own oil changes. Also have known the father and the son that owns the dealership for the last 40 years. Get a hello, Nick when I walk in.

Not sure if this piece just snaps in, but knowing me, would add a couple of screws if I deem it necessary.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I bought one and had the dealer put it on when they did the belly pan recall. They didn't charge me. It just snaps over the lower part of the coil piping. I didn't see them installing it but it looked to me like you might have to pull the bumper cover. Maybe pulling the belly pan is enough.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
I would hope the dealer would install without issue.
Quite simple.....vin# says it has the part, inspection reveals part not installed at assembly, warranty claim is procure and install missing part....end of concern.

Rob

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can't be much over a ten minute job, already dropped off that front bumper cover to clean off the bugs from my condenser. And wondered why I have been buying tools for the last 60 years. Will give me something to do while waiting for the oil to drain. And know how to remove a plastic rivet without breaking it.

Besides, I get bored hanging around my dealers.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
View attachment 11929

Finally received it, sure came in a box large enough. Parts manager had to give it to the service manager to do some paper work so I didn't have to pay for it.

Was going to install it today, but more snow and slush. Will wait until it clears up and bit, really don't care for salted slush to drip on my face.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
View attachment 11929

Finally received it, sure came in a box large enough. Parts manager had to give it to the service manager to do some paper work so I didn't have to pay for it.

Was going to install it today, but more snow and slush. Will wait until it clears up and bit, really don't care for salted slush to drip on my face.
Since it wasn't installed when the VIN said it should have been installed, why not have the dealership complete the job?

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For my own convenience, already dropped that under bumper shield a couple of times. Only way I know of for cleaning the bugs off the condenser. Sure can't do that job from the top.

Dealer had no problem with this, but replied, if the engine blows, will bring that in.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Finally got around to dropping that front bumper cover. Guess what, stone guard is already installed. Both the parts and service manage said it was missing. I guess we all assumed would attach to the front bumper, but is kind of hidden snapped unto the condenser.

Ha, does anyone need a spare condenser stone guard. Could take it back.

Easy enough to drop, 10 ea T20 screws and 4 ea plastic snaps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts