Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Why the freeways suck in California...

So I'm just enjoying my drive back up north for my separation physical, when SMACK! I hit something in the road, no clue what it was, not sure if it was a big chunk of a tire or an entire bumper, but either way, my Cruze is hurt...C'mon California, I know we are broke, but can we please start doing safety inspections on cars instead of smog?! Anways here are some pictures... uploadfromtaptalk1330615376551.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1330615413645.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1330615436148.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1330615455999.jpg Sent from my DROID3 using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
202 Posts
Ouch... where i live we worry less about car parts on the road, and more about what animal's will be crossing the road. Nothing worse then hitting a raccoon the size of a dog doing about 80km.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know how that is, used to live in the Woods out in Pennsylvania, having to dodge deer at 50 mph or faster sucks.

Sent from my DROID3 using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
904 Posts
Nothing more fun than hitting an armadillo on the freeway. The one I hit must have been running because it wasn't in sight before I hit it. Lifted the right side of the car twice as each tire went over it. I had to go back to find out what it was. Tough little critters, it wasn't even flattened.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What he heck!!! that sucks love your ride i got the 2012 1.4T and had a hit and run on it .... thank god for the best insure company in the world.I had damages for 1200$ but didnt pay a cent ... here in Montreal its not the animals or stuff on the road you gotta whatch out for its things falling on your car ... no joke!!! over passes falling, signs falling, tunels collapsing name it we got it all... and lets not forget my worst enemy PUD HOLES omg they can be size of sewer opening and deep enough to cause serious damage... When driving here theres not such thing driving in a straigth line!!! its slalom baby!!! lol...

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea I love my ride to, still waiting on chevy to let me know what the total damage is...

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
...instead of "road kill" what you hit was "ROAD KILLER"!

...I empathize with you, because, one night, while driving back to NAS Pt.Mugu on the '101, I hit a DRIVE-SHAFT laying in the middle of my lane, with nowhere to maneuver. It smacked the left-muffler as I drove over it at 65 MPH and snapped the left exhaust manifold off just behind the flange where the headpipe attached--talk about a suddenly LOUD car!

·
Resident Derp
2,806 Posts
I feel ya man. There have been numerous times while driving down to lancaster on 1-5 that I've seen chunks of tire just sitting on the road. I will say though that in the states defense, its a pretty long road to have constantly clean 24/7. Stuff happens and it takes time for a cop to drive by, because I know no one ever reports a chunk of tire on a road unless theres a collision. Up in the bay area though the roads are always clean, except for the occasional road kill.

Closest i've ever come to running over something was having a tire on a semi explode right in front of me. Lucky enough for me everyone else next to me saw it and slammed on their brakes, so I simply hit the gas and jumped over a lane and passed him, missing a couple chunks of tire.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree with the whole its hard to keep the freeways clear, if California cared about the safety of vehicles as much they do about smog, this would happen a lot less. This is my second damaged car due to crap on the road in less then 3 years... :/ Guess I need to get bright lighter and glue my eyes to the road.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,274 Posts
that suuuuuu I agree safety measures should be implimented. a little of prvention could go a long way
cal is tpos in legislation in this country just might get your wish

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
With the bumper off...

uploadfromtaptalk1330649239521.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1330649256126.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1330649381084.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1330649397691.jpg

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was in a car once travelling at night as a passenger, There were no road lights, it was a full moon out in May. When we hit a moose... There was a hole above my head (I am 6 foot 3) where one of the hoof prints came INTO the car about 5 inches from my face, before the leg went out the car as the moose travelled up the side frame of the windshield and over the car.. It likely took a second, but it felt longer.

Thankfully the car was a subcompact, so it was little and the moose was big, and the body caved in the windshield, but rode up the frame of the car and over.. We hit it at about 90Km/h in the middle of Algonquin park (Its a big park with one hwy running right through it).. I remember seeing a clear road, then seeing two glowing eyes, then the rear end of a moose, then spitting out broken glass as the windshield blew out.. the driver had to drive out of the park in the dead of night, with a single working headlight that was hanging from its wires at the front of the car (the frame was destroyed and it wouldn't stay) to the police station.. we were too young and scared to get of the car..No traffic on the road to flag anyone down. We drove "ace ventura" head out the window style at about 5km an hour to get to the police station. They sent a game warden to go out and make sure the moose was out of its missery.. (we learned it was dead from the impact at the police station).

As we were waiting in the police station, they got a report that on the same stretch of road, about 5K away from our site there was a double fataility with a moose. On the ride back after getting the car repaired, we went during the day.. I remember actually being fearful to get into the car, simply because of flashbacks.. but that went away quickly.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
**** that really Sux... and our meet is right around the corner. I Hope everything goes smoothly for you. And it gets fixed to no and little cost to you. Good Luck.... Now if only we knew.....:icon_scratch:

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So do I, I really want to go to the meet/cruise, but the shop says it will take like 2 to 3 weeks To finish.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
So do I, I really want to go to the meet/cruise, but the shop says it will take like 2 to 3 weeks To finish.

:idisagree:THEY SHOULD WORK FASTER!!!!:$#angry:

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Tell them that...I already told them I want it done ASAP! But all they said is it will be done when it is done.

·
Resident Derp
2,806 Posts
When my parents lived in New Hampshire[where is was born], they had a friend hit a moose. However, the car they were driving had a windshield at such a small angle, that when they hit it, it slid over the windshield, and landed on their trunk, blowing out the rear windshield and spraying its guts all over the inside of the car. They were completely unharmed, but there was soo much moose blood over them that the doctors had to check them out to make sure, and the windshield had at most, a 5"x5" spider web in the center.

As for a possible LA meet. I've having the interior of my car re-done by myself[at my uncle's shop] in lancaster on the week of the 20th. If anyone in LA wants to meet up and see the work I'd be glad to do so.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Well you hit it square in the center... good work! If only you knew what it was... :1poke: Insurance claiming it?
As far as to what it was, they did say they found some chunks of rubber, so the shop believes it may have been part of a separated tire that was laid out across the lane. But he said the same thing about hitting it square in the center. And so far I think the insurance is going to claim it. The adjuster is going to the shop today to take a look at all the damage and give me a call back, so I am hoping they are going to cover it, because if not, I in no way will have the money to fix my car :sad010:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts