Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Without a doubt, every owner dreads the moment when their car won’t start. What should you do? Who should you call? Can you fix it yourself? Here’s a list with ten common reasons why cars don’t start up and what you can do about it.

'The first step is to define the no start' said Joe Spadafora, certified instructor at Universal Technical Institute’s Exton, Pennsylvania campus. Spadafora spent the majority of his career in working in the service department of several dealerships and receiving factory training from GM. He’s certified as a Master Technician and certified by Chrysler as a Dodge Viper technician . He also holds certifications from Subaru, Suzuki, Toyota, Lexus and Scion as well, so if there’s something wrong with your car, chances are he’s seen it before.

To diagnose the reason your car isn’t starting, you need to pay attention to happening when you turn the key. 'Does the engine crank but not actually start or, when you turn the key, does literally nothing happen?' he said. 'In a customer’s eyes, the following two options are the same because both create a scenario that results in the vehicle’s failure to run.'

While the two situations might seem similar, they have very different meanings that are important to a mechanic and can signal different problems calling for a variety of solutions.

'It’s important to note that a vehicle is an extremely complicated machine and can exhibit similar symptoms for a variety of reasons,' he said. 'That is why it’s important to first look at the type of ‘no start’ and then at the list of conditions that could be causing it in the first place.'
Read more about Why Won’t My Car Start? at AutoGuide.com.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Finally a thread that isnt a giant waste of time, o wait it is. Good start should have just posted the rest of the thread.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
I have keyless ignition, so I don't start my car - the computer does. I wouldn't be surprised if it works in the same for the lower trim levels.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I have keyless ignition, so I don't start my car - the computer does. I wouldn't be surprised if it works in the same for the lower trim levels.
It does - we can flick the key to start and let go. As soon as the key is turned to "start," the BCM takes over stating the car. It'll crank until it starts or for 15 seconds.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
10,685 Posts
It does - we can flick the key to start and let go. As soon as the key is turned to "start," the BCM takes over stating the car. It'll crank until it starts or for 15 seconds.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I sometimes have issues starting other cars as I flick and let go too quickly like our cars allow us to.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I like to watch the new guys at work when a Prius comes in.

They push the brake, push the button, and to them, nothing happens. :laugh:

"it doesn't start!"

"Let me try." - I push the brake, push the button, get the "READY" light, and drive off silently.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Either the engine start running or the engine won't crank is one of the oldest question in the books. How about cranking but won't start.

If the engine won't start, but cranks, next question is there any fuel in the tank. These things don't run on air very well.

With fuel in the tank, and cranking, but no start, then the four basics apply, compression, fuel, ignition, and timing. This hasn't changed in the last hundred years.

But with these electronics and fuel injection, also controlled by electronics, finding the source of the problem is far more difficult. This is one thing that really has changed. With fuel, and electric fuel pump inside of the gas tank. With timing a broken timing chain or belt.

My first step is to do a compression test first and get this out of the way, also an opportunity to look at the plugs to see if they are all fouled up. And can't live without a fuel pressure tester. On some GM vehicles, if the fuel pressure is just a couple of psi low, can crank all day and it won't start.

By getting rid of the timing marks engraved in the harmonic balancer and that ten cent pointer, made checking for timing problems a heck of a lot more difficult. On some vehicles can take over a half a day just to remove the valve cover than have to make your own timing marks to compare the two. Just making life a thousand times more difficult.

Use to be able to rebuild an engine driven pump for a buck and be done with it in around 20 minutes. Today have to lay out anywhere from a 100-450 bucks for that POS electric electric fuel pump and drop the tank to replace it. And why does it always go out after you filled the tank with no means to drain it?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Actually, the computer does start my 2lt also. I found this out yesterday when I had starting issues, and even if you rotate the key for the slightest fraction of a second, the computer will motor the starter, apply fuel and spark until that motor starts, or,( as I found out yesterday) motor for around 7-10 seconds and fail to start. I saw this happen and I thought my car was going nuts when I had released the key but the starter was still running! So, short answer, yes.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
My Chevy Cruze LTZ 2013 won't start. I have push button, when I push the button nothing happens???
Hi Chevygirl89,

Were you able to get into the dealership regarding this? Please feel free to contact our team in Canada for the best assistance. Their information is; Contact Us. Let us know if you need any additional assistance with this as well. We would be happy to escalate your information further.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
My Chevy Cruze LTZ 2013 won't start. I have push button, when I push the button nothing happens???
Does the light come on? Any message on the DIC? The button won't work if you don't have a programmed keyfob with a working battery. It's possible the fob is out of range on the internal antenna for some reason. Try switch it to the pocket closest to the center console.

How many miles on it? If under 36K, you should still be under B2B warranty.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Never realized how worthless our vehicles were during the energy crisis in the early 70's.

Another reason why cars won't start, no gasoline.

Then prior to this in 1972, all vehicles could only burn unleaded gas that you could not use in any vehicle made in 1971 and prior, your engine would burn up. Unless you knew how to modify, did kid did. But talk about major depreciation in your almost new vehicle.

Then ethanol that can't be used in vehicles not designed for it. Also the overnight banning of R-12 refrigerants with no substitutes available without a complete AC conversion. Just wonder what's next.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts