Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Why won't GM fix rear shock rattle?

13486 43
I was told by customer service that GM feels that this annoying rattle doesn't affect the use of the car and that they aren't going to do anything about it. Why? I am sure that after 3 years of complaints that GM knows what the problem is but doesn't want to pay for repairs. If so, at least tell us so we can fix it ourselves. It has turned a good car into an annoying one that I can't wait to get rid of.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Registered
40 Posts
I was told by customer service that GM feels that this annoying rattle doesn't affect the use of the car and that they aren't going to do anything about it. Why? I am sure that after 3 years of complaints that GM knows what the problem is but doesn't want to pay for repairs. If so, at least tell us so we can fix it ourselves. It has turned a good car into an annoying one that I can't wait to get rid of.
I have been dealing with this for months now. I guess that they don't want to honor their warranty. However, I have been told at my dealership that I'm the only one with this problem that they have seen and are stumped at how to fix it. I have a whole thread on my sad story in the "service" section here.

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
Every dealer has been trained to tell everyone that they are the first one. They have seen hundreds if not thousands of these cars in the last three years. The dealers are lying to us as much as General Motors is.
I have to disagree with this statement. My dealership will tell me if they've seen a problem or issue before.

· Premium Member
5,301 Posts
I want to know why my Dealer was so quick to diagnose and authorize or at least request a major repair by replacing the entire rear end? The part alone which was initially unavailable was instead sent overnight. We are speaking about a couple hundred pounds, very impressive! Darn though that it didn't fix my problem at all and I don't want to complain. I chock it up to a mistake in the purchase of a budget GM product, the horrible Semi accident that took away my favorite Car, and Norco what ever that is? Anyway the CRUZE is cute and does stuff I had never experienced but still...

· Registered
40 Posts
I want to know why my Dealer was so quick to diagnose and authorize or at least request a major repair by replacing the entire rear end? The part alone which was initially unavailable was instead sent overnight. We are speaking about a couple hundred pounds, very impressive! Darn though that it didn't fix my problem at all and I don't want to complain. I chock it up to a mistake in the purchase of a budget GM product, the horrible Semi accident that took away my favorite Car, and Norco what ever that is? Anyway the CRUZE is cute and does stuff I had never experienced but still...
My dealer actually went after the noise with gusto at first, but as soon as changing the shock didn't work they started to get a bit of an attitude. As I said on another thread, when the service manager tells you that you won't hear it if you listen to the radio and keep the heater on......well...to me, that's a problem. Here's a quote I saw online the other day, it was discussing the Cobalt, but should be applied company wide--"What is important is taking care of our customers and showing that it really is a new day at GM." ---Mary Barra 3-4-14 Detroit Free Press.

· Banned
9,198 Posts
Sure it is the shock, lots of parts back there that can rattle like a poor spring insulator, or a rubber bushing.

Also recall reading something about a recall with defective weld joints in the trunk area.

I like my little home town dealer, lives right in the neigborhood, but on some rare occasions, have to show him the problem. But do know of some Chevy dealers in my area that I wouldn't trust to check my tire air pressures. But if you do have problems, you go up the chain. This is why Chevy has service representatives.

· Premium Member
4,634 Posts
There's a real possibility this has nothing to do with the shocks. Rattles in general can be extremely hard to diagnose. I have a noise in the back of my car that I'm trying to figure out. My first thought was it was something in the suspension, but after listening intensely for a few weeks now I'm not so sure.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bottom line is that GM has the facilities to determine what the problem is and I'm sure that they have. It's been 4 years since these problems have cropped up. Obviously the cost of repairs multiplied my over a million cars is more than they want to spend. It all comes down to the almighty dollar.

· Premium Member
5,301 Posts
I thought the CRUZE was a 'proven' Car as Chevrolet's best selling model? If I would have known about the rear vibration noise from this basic rear end configuration without upper and lower Control Arms, this would be a Car I would have never purchased. While I have had a few compliments in the 2014 CRUZE, I would not recommend this Car to anyone I know due to the propensity of problems it seems? I originally asked if this Car was similar to the Chevy Vega?

· Premium Member
6,727 Posts
I too have had some rear suspension noise, however mine only occurs when its very cold outside(below 15F). Typically this noise will subside within a few miles of driving. This is not the first car i have had that makes cold weather strut noise.

· Banned
9,198 Posts
Wife sure commented about a rattle in the rear when I left my tool box in the trunk. Ha, you should of heard it when I had a steel tool box, this plastic one is much quieter.

But she wondered why I wrapped our broil pan in the motorhome with a towel so she removed the towel. With that thing rattling around in a steel oven was enough to wake the dead. Spare tire, if you have one, can be loose or that jack in the bag. Many possibilities.

Trunk has two torsion bars separated by a plastic clip that will rattle. No matter how tight I tightened the rear license plate, that rattled, so got a cheap plastic frame for it for a cure.

Oh, all those rubber bushings back there, should be sprayed with silicone each engine oil change, front ones too. Should be part of an engine oil change, but they won't do that.

· Registered
309 Posts
Ive only encountered one noise or vibration. the plastic trim around the shock tower in the engine bay had worked loose slightly from its clip. I pushed it back in and all has been well. Even in the heart of the appalachain mountains on crappy rutted and potholed secondary roads I never hear any rattles or vibrations. My only noise is tire noise at highway speed and even that is much more subdued than some larger more expensive cars Ive driven. I have a 2012 2LT.

10,589 Posts
I have a noise in my trunk/undercarriage area as well. It sounds like my invisible spare tire and jack are rattling around in the spare tire well if I had to pinpoint and exact sound. Same bump 3 different Cruze made identical sound when I hit it at 40 MPH 3 blocks from work.

Sent from my iFail 5s

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.