Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.yahoo.com/tv/robber-killed-in-shootout-with-ex-anchors-husband-123034699640.html

In this story a man saved his wife and his own life from what could have been many of things. What people who are anti gun dont understand is that criminals will have guns even if they are illegal, so why give them the upperhand by making law abiding citizens not allowed to own or carry? If they did not have a carry permit or a firearm what do you think would have happened?:brave:
pro2a.jpg

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,265 Posts
Yeah I guess we have to be fully armed änd armored in the church too .
I have no problem with you or any some one that has the legal right and have a registered conceal carry permit as long as you and some ones can prove to law enforcement that you come in peace and choose to LEAVE in peace .

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
I believe everyone is safer when criminals need to wonder whether anyone has a gun. The right to keep and bear arms is a natural right, and in some ways I think it should be considered a duty. I am glad that those people had a weapon and knew how to use it to protect themselves. This story might make other criminals think twice in the future.

·
Administrator
25,087 Posts
In the 1780s, the 2nd Amendment's phrase "well regulated" meant "trained". This is definitely a case of trained. My big concern with most people carrying, openly or concealed, is that they don't have the training needed to use their firearms properly in an emergency.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,265 Posts
I agree with OB about any and all oversights by a person that has not followed through with the safe practices and preperations needed in order to safely and respectively carry a concealed registered and permitted fire arm in public . for safety and sanities sake ..
Even our own law enforcement members need to get a grip on that split second procedure of discharging they're side arms in these heated and unprepared moments that put peoples lives in jeopardy .

The rhetoric surrounding these situations that 1 may find themselves in is no joking matter and should not be taken lightly ..

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
In the 1780s, the 2nd Amendment's phrase "well regulated" meant "trained". This is definitely a case of trained. My big concern with most people carrying, openly or concealed, is that they don't have the training needed to use their firearms properly in an emergency.
I think it is very important for people to learn how to use a firearm properly. In most states the concealed carry permit process requires some training. A firearm is a dangerous tool, not a fashion accessory or a cool toy. Learning how to use that tool correctly is very important.

That being said, the Supreme Court and several congressional studies have stated conclusively that the right to keep and bear arms is not limited by the need for a well regulated militia. You have a natural right to protect yourself and your family. The militia is used when people need to protect their community, state or country. It is very important for the militia to be well regulated and trained. But that regulatory need for the militia does not affect your personal and natural right to bear arms.

·
Premium Member
4,080 Posts
Has anyone thought to ask who started the shooting, after all the other side of the story can't defend himself. Not trying to get into the gun debate, but the survivors can say whatever is necessary to vindicate themselves. I am not saying they gave false evidence, just that there is a possibility. Either way the robber should not have been there.

·
Registered
107 Posts
There's very minimal training that goes along with procuring a concealed weapons permit. Way under what's needed to go out in the street armed and dangerous. I go to the range on my own about once a month to practice with some of my guns. I also train twice a year with the deputies of my county Sheriff's department. With my work as a Public Service Officer. With that department, I don't carry a gun but I see and hear the stories on both sides, of incidents where it's both life saving and life taking when a gun is used. In the hands of an inexperienced, non-practiced concealed carrier, the odds of things going wrong go way up.

·
Administrator
15,614 Posts
There's very minimal training that goes along with procuring a concealed weapons permit. Way under what's needed to go out in the street armed and dangerous. I go to the range on my own about once a month to practice with some of my guns. I also train twice a year with the deputies of my county Sheriff's department. With my work as a Public Service Officer. With that department, I don't carry a gun but I see and hear the stories on both sides, of incidents where it's both life saving and life taking when a gun is used. In the hands of an inexperienced, non-practiced concealed carrier, the odds of things going wrong go way up.

You aren't dangerous just because you're armed. Dangerous implied intent.

Training is important, but for the carrier's benefit. The fact that they are carrying a gun is a huge deterrent to crime in the first place. Let me put it this way. The more people that carry guns, the less likely they are to need to use them.

Nothing will stop a psychotic individual from killing people, but those are few and far between in the scope of violent crime. Most crime is done with a sense of self preservation. A mugger wants a quick and easy victim for example. They don't go into a convenience store intending to kill someone and they certainly won't do it if they expect resistance. There are some great articles online discussing the psychology of criminals. What their thought process is and how and why they act, how to avoid them and when to expect them.

The truth is that good training is also expensive. I've taken some training but it's never going to be enough to prepare me for an altercation. I carry because I refuse to be a victim.

·
Administrator
15,614 Posts
For the record, the free state of Indiana doesn't require me to have training to carry. $125 got me a lifetime open/concealed carry permit and I can carry everywhere but federally restricted areas like k-12 schools and government buildings. I can and have carried in a bank and everywhere else.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have never drawn my weapon.

Sure, there were times that I was happy to have it, but never had to draw and certainly never had to kill or injure anyone. And I work in a pretty bad part of town.

The whole Zimmerman thing put me at odds with many of my firearm owning friends. Of course again, I work just a couple of blocks where Stop Six in Fort Worth begins and I used to work literally across the street from the Hatcher St E Dallas Projects. They work in professional suburban business campuses and office buildings. If this kid was up to no good, you observe at a safe distance and report. You don't stalk him. Especially when he's been on the phone. He could have been calling anyone. You turn the corner and it's you and your Kel-Tec vs a bunch of guys with AK-47s. Possession of a firearm does not make you a law enforcement officer.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
https://www.yahoo.com/tv/robber-killed-in-shootout-with-ex-anchors-husband-123034699640.html

In this story a man saved his wife and his own life from what could have been many of things. What people who are anti gun dont understand is that criminals will have guns even if they are illegal, so why give them the upperhand by making law abiding citizens not allowed to own or carry? If they did not have a carry permit or a firearm what do you think would have happened?:brave:
View attachment 153610
Read that yesterday. The woman is Lynne Russell who was great at CNN Headline News. Worked in Radio as well. I spoke with her a few times some years back in Miami. My only question though, why would she stay at a Motel 6?

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
In Wisconsin, unless you are ex-military have to take a safety course.

Ha, if you like 30's Humphrey Bogart movies just stick your hand in your jacket pocket, point your finger and make believe you have a gun, worked for him.

Closest my wife and I came to being robbed was in Caracas, quickly ripped off my jacket twisted around my left hand and said, lets go with my mean face. He preferred to run rather than fight. Had a knife.

Sure can't get through airport security with a gun, and this is perhaps when you need one most.

·
Registered
420 Posts
For the first time in US history the ACA requires health insurance companies to cover mental health issues. Most of the kindergarten, church, and theater mass murderers have obvious mental problems but would only covered under the ACA in states that expanded Medicaid to assure that everyone has insurance.

Medicaid should be expanded to everyone, allowing a database of people who should not own guns to be developed and provided to gun retailers and police. Many countries such as Canada and some in Europe do this and have a much lower gun crime rate than the US despite lots of gun owners. Which is reaching third world range.

I live in a downtown area with a high violent crime rate. Unfortunately it is hard feel secure here without a gun at home. Countries with Universal health coverage have lower crime rates, higher life spans and quality of life and spend less on healthcare than those with for profit healthcare.

·
Administrator
15,614 Posts
For the first time in US history the ACA requires health insurance companies to cover mental health issues. Most of the kindergarten, church, and theater mass murderers have obvious mental problems but would only covered under the ACA in states that expanded Medicaid to assure that everyone has insurance.

Medicaid should be expanded to everyone, allowing a database of people who should not own guns to be developed and provided to gun retailers and police. Many countries such as Canada and some in Europe do this and have a much lower gun crime rate than the US despite lots of gun owners. Which is reaching third world range.

I live in a downtown area with a high violent crime rate. Unfortunately it is hard feel secure here without a gun at home. Countries with Universal health coverage have lower crime rates, higher life spans and quality of life and spend less on healthcare than those with for profit healthcare.
Of course they spend less on health care. They just use what we spend the time and money to innovate. The biotechnology industry is heavily dependent on US research and technology as one example. In addition, you never consider the cost in taxes because that's just factored into your income or other taxes. We see our direct costs.

No other developed countries have "lots of gun owners." Let me put this into perspective for you. We have about 90 guns per 100 citizens. Next on the list is Switzerland with about 48 per 100. Almost HALF. Canada comes in at 30.8 and everyone else in Europe is at about or less than that level.

·
Registered
420 Posts
International drug and healthcare companies innovate many new drugs then charge 10x as much in the US as their home countries so I don't believe the innovation argument can justify the highest healthcare costs on earth.

The US gun homicide rate is 3.55/100,000 people. Switzerland is much lower at 0.19/100,000 with an ownership rate about 60% as high as the US.

Sweden, Germany, Canada, Austria, Iceland, and Finland all have about 1/3 the ownership rate of the US but homicide rates that are much, much lower.

This indicates that the US can't control violence by controlling guns. We must value and support our citizens like the advanced European countries do by providing basic rights and services needed to survive.

·
Premium Member
4,080 Posts
The cost of medical research is borne by any country that uses the product. For instance I was talking to a diabetic friend at work on Friday and he said that it cost him $A38.00 for a months supply of insulin, but on our prescription medicines it shows the cost to the patient and the actual cost, which was $A400 per month. Medicare covers the rest, so the taxpayer subsidises the rest, which is what the drug companies charge. You don't see many drug companies in financial difficulties.

Also the mindset in Australia about gun ownership is totally different to that in the US, the majority of people don't even think about guns at all. Most licensed gun owners are in the country and use them as a tool and then not all that often.

·
Administrator
25,087 Posts
This indicates that the US can't control violence by controlling guns.
This ^^^

I did some research a month or so ago - the death rate from cars in the US is very nearly the death rate from guns. Should we ban private ownership of cars next?

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Sounds like you guys should move to Canada where we have wonderful healthcare and none of these gun problems. The only reason people in Canada buy a gun is for target practice or hunting. We ever got rid of the long gun registry because it wasn't needed.

Sent from the sexy electrician

·
Premium Member
4,080 Posts
Sounds like you guys should move to Canada where we have wonderful healthcare and none of these gun problems. The only reason people in Canada buy a gun is for target practice or hunting. We ever got rid of the long gun registry because it wasn't needed.

Sent from the sexy electrician
Two countries with a common border and totally different gun laws, which system makes you feel the safest?

Of course in Australia it is much warmer and we have thousands of miles of beaches to keep us occupied. A gun is pretty useless when a Great White has a nibble though.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts