Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was the first time my wife drove my car and it will be her last. She drove it for I guess would be a half mile or so not sure how fast she
was going either but she had the car in manual mode and was wondering why the car was revving high before she realized to put it
in auto. Is there some type of safety build into the car to say "hey I should be shifting now before I blow up my motor"
Is it possible she did any internal damage? If I see no CELs should I assume all is ok?

·
Premium Member
7,796 Posts
I'm sure the car won't let the revs go that high. I think the worst that will come out of it is the gas mileage will suck a bit. Looking on the bright side, I'm sure the engine got a good cleaning.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
She was probably driving in low so she couldn't go too fast, but the rpms were probably screaming for her to shift. 100K warranty so don't sweat it unless your more than that miles or 5 years.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
There should be a built in rev. limiter in the ECM programming. If there isn't, that's a grave oversight on Chevy's/GM's part. My 12 year old Mazda P5 has a Sport Automatic with optional manual shifting and it will not let you go beyond the redline limit. If you try, you'll hear, and feel, the engine stumble as the ECU starts cutting fuel to the cylinders. And, of course, it won't let you downshift if the gear change will put the rpms over the redline either.

·
Administrator
25,101 Posts
The manual transmissions have a rev limiter so it would make sense the automatics do as well.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
There is a rev limiter you can hit with the automatic as well. Have hit mine on a couple occasions, both times was crossing a 4 lane highway. Seems with the super low geared 1st, can hit the rev limiter before 20mph.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank You Cruzetalk members. I'm at work now and have been worried about any possible damage but I feel better after reading the posts.
I'm still going to ban my wife from driving my cruze:)

·
Premium Member
7,796 Posts
In addition, the Cruze is throttle by wire - which allows it to limit the throttle. Bottom line, you're not doing anything to the engine without the computer's permission.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I know some people will disagree with me but this manual shift thing is one of the most useless features on a car.
With all due respect, I disagree. Allow me to explain why. In the older cars like the cobalt, there was P,R,N,D and usually I,L or 3,1 or something like that. It is definitely necessary for a car to at least have the L or 1 and I also think the 3 as well.

With these modern transmissions that are all electronic via the computer, its just as easy for GM to code in 1,2,3,4,5 in manual mode as to code in 3,1. Get it? So basically, for the same price as adding 3,L, you get access to the full range of gears. Not that I would ever been in 4 or 5 manually, but I might use 2 sometime.

Thats most likely why GM chose to add the manual shift with the full range of gears, instead of the standard P,R,N,D,3,L.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Pretty sure the computer would have shifted for her if it was absolutely necessary. It will also downshift when slowing down if you leave it in M6. Like previously mentioned, I'm sure it wasn't good for fuel milage. I wouldn't recommend doing it a lot but I doubt it's going to cause serious harm just happening once on accident.

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
I know some people will disagree with me but this manual shift thing is one of the most useless features on a car.
Not if you want to get the most out of your fuel economy in an automatic. The natural inclination of the auto transmission is to shift to the next gear at higher revs than is possible by using the manual mode.

I used the manual mode for one summer and improved my overall gas mileage by about 4 mpg. It was also mentally exhausting over a whole days' time as I am in the car for half the day sometimes every day, so I haven't bothered to do it since. Screw the gas mileage. lol I've toyed with the idea of getting a manual next time, but have come to the realization that I would probably regret it as long as I still have this job.

If all I had to do was drive into the office in the morning and then home again at night, I would probably still be doing it.

·
Monsieur Charmant Résident
1,233 Posts
More's the pity ...

It all depends on the driving experience you desire in a vehicle. As for me, I couldn't live without it in my tuned 2014 RS, the slapstick that is, and would NEVER have considered purchasing the car without it.

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
Back to the original question…..yes, it is rev limited….she could have held the pedal to the boards for miles and it'll just lay against the limiter.

Now, being devils advocate here, I have found this shifter awful easy to bump into manual mode….and it's not like I'm new at this.
I'm inclined to say give the lady a break…..I'll guess it got bumped with a purse or whatnot.

Reminds me of a time looooooooong ago…..driving a 65 Rambler V-8 Classic….I'm guessing 1971/72.
Returning home from a bar…one or more too many……now get off your high horses before commenting….folks in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Anyways, i remember cruising along about 50ish mph for a bit before I realized the engine sounded…..odd………well, it was protesting cruising at 50 in LOW……whoops…..well thats one way to clear the carbon out.

Anyways, cut the lady some slack….the car is close to blow up proof.

Rob

·
1,233 Posts
Back to the original question…..yes, it is rev limited….she could have held the pedal to the boards for miles and it'll just lay against the limiter ..... Anyways, cut the lady some slack….the car is close to blow up proof.

Rob
^ ^ What Robby said ^ ^ . :)

·
10,695 Posts
On this car it's more legit than others. Other cars would still up shift and this thread wouldn't exist. A manual mode that shifts up defeats the entire context of manual mode. It's gonna down shift because the Perron who got the auto may not grasp rev match when down shifting. Not saying everyone who buys an auto is totally ignorant to manual driving, it's here to give you that feel of a manual to a person who will never drive a manual their entire life.

Other point of manual mode is going down a hill, towing, or snow.

When someone can explain how the car starts in 3rd gear... Yeah manually shift 3rd it will hold that number even when you come to a stop. Other gripe is 6th gear "Shift Denied" under 42 MPH.

·
1,233 Posts
When someone can explain how the car starts in 3rd gear... Yeah manually shift 3rd it will hold that number even when you come to a stop. Other gripe is 6th gear "Shift Denied" under 42 MPH.
Agree with Merc6 here, the two items cited above are maddening.

Not sure, but I believe staying in M3 after coming to a full stop is a programming bug which one would think would have never passed pre-production muster and the "Shift Denied" PIA under 42 mph can be tuned out by Trifecta upon request. That's my experience at any rate, YMMV.

·
10,695 Posts
Agree with Merc6 here, the two items cited above are maddening.

Not sure, but I believe staying in M3 after coming to a full stop is a programming bug which one would think would have never passed pre-production muster and the "Shift Denied" PIA under 42 mph can be tuned out by Trifecta upon request. That's my experience at any rate, YMMV.
2015 LTZ RS loaner I had when I claimed my Eco wheels had both "Bugs". Tuned and plugged manual so 6 @ 36 is great.

OP you should be fine compared to the one guy in the Subaru forum. His sister did the same but didn't shift for about an hour and blew up the engine. Not hard to kill a boxer in a 10 year old 4 gen Legacy. It's like your daughter growing up and going to prom. It's a life event you aren't really ready for but it will happen. I'm still on rebuild 1 where these guys pretty much "purchased" their cars 4 or 5 times by now.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Wife sure had problems getting her driver's license, and has been driving manuals all of her life. Wisconsin shut down many of their DMV offices, have to get on the internet to make an appointment and can be a couple of months. First test with a very wide left turn she shifted into 2nd gear, that ended that test, want both hands on the steering wheel with hand over hand steering, even though the maximum steering rotation is only about 20 degrees. Can't argue with these guys.

So doing the same test again, let the engine run to around 5,000 rpm, if you hesitate for just for a half a second, will flunk. But failed the second time as well, her officer said, wasn't quick enough in returning her hand back to the wheel when shifting into second gear.

So I got my hands on a compact AT car, but spent time with her explaining what P, N, and D meant. Then she finally passed after waiting several months. Her daughter got this MT car, ha, wife spent an hour with her and got nowhere. So I got behind the wheel and said watch me, key is taken off in first gear with co-ordination between the clutch and gas pedal, with upshifting, get the hang of increasing the rpm so you don't fly through the windshield, after about 20 minutes, she got the hang of it. So far put another 40K miles on it and the clutch is still good.

Don't pick on your wife, teach her.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts