Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife bought her 2011 LT Cruze at 26k miles in 2014. after the powertrain expired we refinanced and went with the extended bumper to bumper warranty through Route 66. and boy am I glad we did! was $2k which just added an extra 6 months of payments on the end of the financing (no big deal for us) with a 5 year up to 100k mile bumper to bumper excluding fluids, filters, hoses and pipes.

started out with an antifreeze leak from day one they couldn't find before we bought it. i think it wound up being a water pump at 30-36k miles (under factory warranty at that time so i was happy). then i paid to have transmission coolant lines replaced as they were leaking and not having a trans dip stick doesn't make me feel all that easy. time goes on and we thought we had another coolant leak but kept our eyes on it. kept smelling coolant when i parked the car. also added in an oil leak that caused a burning smell when the car sat at a light. we now have bumper to bumper through Route 66. take it to the dealer and they initially call it the oil cooler leaking but since it was deemed a "seap" not a leak they wouldn't pay to fix it. ok that's fine i have plenty of time on the warranty. a few months go by and last week i took it back in to the dealer for it loosing 1/4 quart every 250 miles (she drives that much a week for work). dealer gives me a loaner truck (2017 silverado 4 door so i was pretty happy!) and looks into the car. after having it about a week it winds up having a bad crank seal, oil pan gasket, heated driver seat elements (we found out insurance would cover it), intercooler pipe (paid out of pocket for), belt tensioner (covered), and it needed an oil change anyways which i paid for as i knew it wasn't covered under the warranty. while it was also in the shop i had them change out the turbo feed line to eliminate a potential future leak. now all of this cost about 1500, but only cost me 350 out of pocket.

i'm pretty happy we got the extra coverage now as to date we've saved about 1500 towards the $2k investment. I know i'm saving money in the long run but man this is getting old fast. the car just rolled over 58k miles today and seems to keep needing parts every couple of months after two years of ownership. oh and the antifreeze smell we were getting is because i had overfilled the antifreeze jug since GM thought it wasn't important enough to add a cold fill to line like every other manufacturer does for every other car known to man (thanks GM....thanks!).

the wife likes this car but i can't help but think if it doesn't stop costing money soon it's going away once she gets near the end of her payments/pays it off. i generally keep my cars a pretty long time if possible (i have put 120k miles on my 2010 impala and see no end in sight to that car), so to have this many issues within two years is getting annoying to me. We had a 2017 LT Cruze for a loaner one time as well and i just didn't care for the way it rode, the wife's 2011 doesn't feel like a giant spring going down the road like that thing did.

idk, am i crazy for getting a little irritated? i know the car was low miles for being 3 years old and i figured there would be one or two things lurking that i would have to fix but as i look around the forums a little, i'm becoming mildly scared. anyone else having this kind of luck or am i the exception being the first year of this model?

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
Unfortunately with it being the first model year and first year this engine was produced in the US, many of the parts supplier/quality problems were ironed out later on down the line.

The transmission lines leaking is a common GM 6-speed auto thing. The water pumps, valve covers/PCV system as a whole, and coolant outlet connections leaking are, unfortunately, a common Cruze design flaw. The PCV issues are probably what caused most of the engine oil leaks, as crankcase pressure will escape from the weakest point of failure if the PCV system can't properly re-route it into the intake manifold again.

I would check that your check valve is still present in the intake manifold - remove the corrugated hose to the port on the top of it and peer inside with a flashlight. You are looking for a little orange dot. If that's missing, it will cause excess crankcase pressure and lots of oil being slurped through the intake plumbing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts