Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone. My first post. My wife has a 2012 Chevy cruze 1lt with around 75k miles. The only issues we've had are the recalls which we got taken care of.

2 or 3 weeks ago, she said the car started idling hard in park stopped at stop signs. I drove the car and it did idle some. It finally died in our carport while in park.

She went to auto zone and got a print out that I'll post below. I've added 1 can of seafoam, ran that tank of gas, and added one more full bottle with a new tank of gas Saturday.

Before taking it in, does anyone have any ideas or recommendations? The car runs absolutely perfect other than this issue. Thanks!
20170511_172811.jpg 20170511_172759.jpg

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts
Please never run seafood through an engine that you care about.

It once had its place, like 1940-70, but should never be used in an engine built after that time. Whoever advised you to use seafoam is someone from whom you should never accept advice from in the future.

All that you ever ever need is to use a Top Tier Gasoline as directed in the owner's manual. Barring that is to use a bottle of Chevron Techron, which is also sold by GM.

Is your wife's car equipped with the 1.8 normally aspirated or 1.4 turbocharged engine?

When was the fuel filter last changed?

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts
1.4 turbo charged, and never had the fuel filter changed.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Please think about changing the fuel filter out, after you've burned that seafoam tank of gas out AND two or three full tanks of a Top Tier Gasoline. Home | Top Tier Gas

It would not be in your best interest to expose a new fuel filter to seafoam.

To your symptomoloy, I don't recall reading about another 1.4 turbo requiring a replacement fuel injector as I'm more a diesel guy than gas. But don't fret. Someone else will chime in shortly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also keep in mind I'm not very mechanically inclined on vehicles. So most anything unless super simple, I'm gonna have to take it to a shop.

The car only dies after a few minutes in park, and otherwise just idles somewhat rough at a stop sign/red light. It's enough to notice for sure.

Just trying to avoid a large bill if possible as always! Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Back up the bus.......

You cannot exchange the fuel filter...it is in the fuel tank and only replaced in conjunction with the fuel pump. A fuel filter problem would affect all cylinders, not just one.

Your codes, specifically the P0171 lean code, is most likely related to a failed burst diaphragm......this is part of and replaced by exchanging the cam cover. P0171 refers to a lean condition affecting all cylinders....not just one.
The odds are this has failed as a result of a check valve failing in the intake manifold......this will require manifold replacement.

Any codes that follow the P0171 are resultant and should be disregarded till the primary code is resolved.

It pains me to recommend a dealer due to higher labor expense but this should be handled by those familiar with this vehicle.
Make certain they check the valve in the manifold......some have replaced just the cam cover but most have had a secondary failure because the manifold was needed as well.

Rob

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I figure I need to get it in to a dealer sooner than later right? Almost have no time this week to get it in. Just don't want to keep driving it and messing it up more. It drives perfectly, like a brand new car other than this issue.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Agreed, another cause of a misfire, vacuum leak, can be tested with a vacuum gauge with a cone rubber tip plugged into the dipstick tube, should show about 18"/Hg. All these tests can be done quickly, in less than a half an hour, if the guy knows what he is doing.

Ha, these young kids can only read a scanner, yes, you can get many codes, doesn't mean what they are testing are the culprits, but rather the victims of a misfire. But always like to start with a compression test first. Love four cylinder FWD vehicles, Cruze is real simple. Unlike some V-8's where you have to remove half the engine just to get to the spark plugs.
We're not really looking at a misfire here though, It's a lean condition. Seeing how he already purchased the injector (And electrical/fuel parts are usually not returnable) I'd try putting that injector in.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh no I haven't purchased anything, they just showed what the cost would be if we wanted to get it. I've done nothing to the car except add 2 cans of Seafoam.

·
Registered
74 Posts
It's real easy to check the valve on cam cover just pop off ecotec cover and see if air is leaking on vent. Mine just went last week with same code

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,346 Posts
That's 100% a burst disc in the valve cover. Simple replacement.

Also have them inspect the intake manifold for the PCV check valve as well.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Reading posts and being there, you get two different thoughts on exactly what the problem is, ha, can talk to my kids for hours on the phone, but when the vehicle is here, an entirely different story.

On rereading the original post, having different thoughts, engine runs great, but only dies at idle. This is sure sounding more like the idle control valve located on the side of the throttle body. Is PWM controlled by the ECU that either opens or closes an air bypass valve.

Been in use every since high winding small displace engines were used. Since its in the PCV circuit, can get carbon buildup that stalls the valve. Can be removed and cleaned with choke and carb cleaner, so it operates free again, use Permatex non-hardening gasket maker on the gasket to assure a good seal. Over the years, only had to replace one, open solenoid coil.

Another way to verify this is the problem is to simple lightly put your foot on the gas pedal, this duplicates exactly what the ICV is doing. Alternator switching on is one way to stall the engine if not working properly or that AC compressor.

You will not find an ICV or ICS on say a 454 CID engine, when that huge York compressor switches on, it just yawns like nothing is there. but sure can stall a tiny 86 CID engine is what the Cruze has.

Just a thought and a possibility.

·
17,346 Posts

Those 3 codes thrown in combination on these cars is a valve cover or other massive vacuum leak that the car compensates quite poorly for. An askew dipstick or oil cap can do it as well. You can easily confirm the diagnosis by removing the spark plug cover and sticking your thumb over the vent port (or listening for a very obvious hissing noise).

Let's stop trying to confuse the OP with pages of stories about something it's not.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And it goes on. Traction control needs servicing light came on today. Looking like I'm gonna have to take it in to a shop. I'm gonna try to avoid the dealership as they will be ridiculously high.

Hopefully it's an easy fix and nothing too major. I know next to nothing on cars, so I always get nervous when lights start coming on.

·
17,346 Posts
And it goes on. Traction control needs servicing light came on today. Looking like I'm gonna have to take it in to a shop. I'm gonna try to avoid the dealership as they will be ridiculously high.

Hopefully it's an easy fix and nothing too major. I know next to nothing on cars, so I always get nervous when lights start coming on.

Yeah, usually comes on in conjunction with certain CEL codes because the car isn't sure how it will react under a given scenario (throttle cut for traction control assistance, for instance). I'm actually surprised it wasn't - mine came on along with the 3 codes.

Here, just do this. One of the easiest tests you can do even with no experience:

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts
I'm wondering, wouldn't the car be covered under the powertrain warranty?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts