Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time reader, first time complainer. My wife has a 2014 Cruze (1.4 turbo) with 57k miles. It was serviced by the local GM dealer for a cracked coolant tube that began the day of an oil change. They pressure checked the system, replaced the cracked tube and associated hose. We found it quickly since the car is garage kept so no damage was caused. 2 weeks later we've got oil in some odd places. We took a 30 minute drive down the interstate a week ago and noticed a burning oil smell in the vents. Sure enough there was a small amount of oil that got on the exhaust manifold and was circulating into the air inlet. Here's where things get interesting, the spray radiates across the hood liner in such a way that its hard to tell where it comes from (directly above the valve cover, not around it). There's oil around the valve cover gasket and some on the coolant tubes. Not dripped, but sprayed. I thought maybe the fan was responsible but no oil was anywhere near belts or fans, but wind gusts on the interstate may account for the distribution. Maybe I'm overthinking it, and I should just replace the valve cover gasket. Anyone have suggestions before I pull the trigger?

·
Administrator
25,490 Posts
Before going any further, pull the dip stick out and verify there are two complete, uncracked, rubber grommets on the bottom of it. I had one fail in my 2012 and got a similar spray pattern.

Welcome to Cruzetalk and gesundheit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Before going any further, pull the dip stick out and verify there are two complete, uncracked, rubber grommets on the bottom of it. I had one fail in my 2012 and got a similar spray pattern.

Welcome to Cruzetalk and gesundheit.
Thanks for the reply. The orings are both there, no cracks but a bit of shrinkage. It does require a decent tug to remove so im going to say its good. There is no oil on or around the air inlet or filter box which are right next to the dipstick. Visible oil is mostly near right side of the engine block.

·
Administrator
25,490 Posts
In that case I'd clean up the oil and do the same inspection around the oil lines in your picture. This really looks like a high pressure spray.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In that case I'd clean up the oil and do the same inspection around the oil lines in your picture. This really looks like a high pressure spray.
Definitely seems like high pressure. I inspected under the turbo shroud and the oil return tube looks fairly clean around and below it. I do see signs of more oil below the manifold but it looks like drippage from above. I shall keep digging. Thanks again for your replies ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts