Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Will Chevy offer a "Hot Hatch" Cruze?

7K views 36 replies 11 participants last post by  EricSmit 
We've covered this so much. hahaha. Won't happen. There is a Vauxhall Astra VXR that is a proper hot hatch, but it won't make its way here.

You also have to factor in this...

Everyone wants to have these cool features, a 100% distinct interior/exterior makeover than the rest of the trim levels, and a manual trans. When the car maker listens and makes it, nobody buys it. A company stays in business selling things that sell vs looks and sounds cool.

A fully loaded non fast gas Cruze Sedan here runs $32K before tax, title, tags, and that negative equity carried over from trade in. Now picture all that on a Fast Cruze Hatch, you just put yourself in the price rage of an AWD ATS or going to a different company altogether. The 2LT RS 6MT Cruze slowly deleted itself from the US market and then the whole trim level entirely in Gen 2 because it was an obsolete trim for the Cruze. A Premier with no extras is in the 2LT pricing range. People are bothered the Challenger is AWD in V6 only but who do you know will buy a V8 AWD Challenger?

Out of curiosity, how much would that little guy cost if built there and shipped here? The Buick Casada is a bit up there in price being built over there and shipped here. I'm wondering if they would even give it a Chevy badge if it came this way, hypothetically.

http://www.simsgm.com/VehicleDetail...a-2dr_Conv_Sport_Touring-Euclid-OH/2933400863
and this is before shipping, import tax, emissions certification.

You don't even need a 2.0L, take the 1.5L in the nox/terrain, get a sportier exhaust, intake and get a more aggressive flash in there and you'd be close to 190hp/220lbs. That puts it right in par with the new Civic SI. These certainly wouldn't be high volume cars, but nobody wants a casada outside the nicer climates and nearly every automaker has some sort of sportier compact in their base brand. Even the Yaris is getting a hot hatch spec.
My 1.4 is right there with a tune, no need for the bigger engine.

No, I'm saying that with an exhaust and an intake and a more aggressive tune, you could be there from the factory. No need to go to the bigger engine.

The Cobalt SS did not sell well.

2005 SS/SC = 3,093

2006 SS/SC = 17,464

2006 SS/2.4 (coupe) = 21,688

2006 SS/2.4 (sedan) = 9,068

2007 SS/SC = 10,566

2007 SS/2.4 (coupe) = 12,469

2007 SS/2.4 (sedan) = 3,397

2008 SS = 1,766

2009 SS (coupe) = 3,040

2009 SS (sedan) = 759

That sounds well and great, but do you know how many Cobalts were sold overall? 1020707.

And that's including the 2.4 NA SS, which accounts for roughly half of all SS Cobalts sold.

Much lower #'s than I thought for the SS. I'm surprised they sold that many with the 2.4 honestly.

Considering they're putting the 1.6 w/ DI in (Gen 2) hatches overseas, I think that's much more of a possibility than the 2.0T will ever be.
I'll put a 2.0T in my Cruze when I blow up the 1.4T. I don't know how long that will take.

It's missing aboot 100 HP to be considered "hot".
And interestingly enough, my second gen Cruze hatch is lighter than the Sonic RS I sold last month.
Ship weight of 2845 for my Cruze, and 2869 for the Sonic.

Yeah, the Sonic isn't a recipient of the new-gen weight savings the Cruze underwent when it went from Delta II to the new D2XX platform. If/when a new Sonic comes out, it will likely be able to take advantage of such weight reduction techniques.
Therefore, I motion that my Cruze hatch is the hottest of current american Chevrolet hatches. :p

The one thing that the Sonic RS (manual, anyway) does have going for it are gear ratios that make the most out of the little engine. They kinda remind me of the Accord Sport/Integra ratios where they're closely spaced and actually meant for sporty driving.

While the auto Cruzens used to be the slowest of the bunch, now they're actually quicker to 60 and 1/4 mile (on stock tune) according to C&D tests. Horrible throttle programming probably contributes to it somewhat.
I meant specifically my manual, not all manual hatches in general. :p

MF3 6-SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION
Transmission model MANUAL 6-SPEED (FWD)
RPO Code MF3
GEAR RATIOS
First 4.27
Second 2.16
Third 1.30
Fourth .96
Fifth .74
Sixth .61
Reverse 3.82
Axle, 3.65 final drive ratio

Transmission model MANUAL 6-SPEED 1.4L-TURBO
RPO Code MZ4
GEAR RATIOS
First 3.82
Second 2.05
Third 1.30
Fourth .96
Fifth .74
Sixth .61
Reverse 3.55
Axle, 3.65 final drive ratio

The Sonic uses the same six-speed as the diesel Cruze.

And old LT Cruze, yes - which is why I owned that instead of an Eco.

But the final drive ratios are different between all of them, the Sonic RS's being a ratio that behooves itself to aiding acceleration (and high RPM, buzzy highway operation). Like changing the rear axle ratio on a RWD.
Axle, 3.65 final drive ratio for both the 1.4T Sonic hatch manual and 1.4T Cruze hatch manual. It's also 3.65 for the current MZ4 trans on the second gen diesel Cruze. So the same for the 1.4T Sonic and diesel Cruze.

3.83 for all variations of the old Cruze, 3.65 for regular Sonic 1.4 trans. Sonic RS was 4.176.

Does appear to still be 3.83 on the new Cruze too if GM's pressroom stuff is to be believed (although they have the 2-3-4-5-6 ratios for 2016 wrong, so who knows). Would make more sense if they used the regular Sonic 1.4 transmission axle ratio, as they're similar weight and they moved that along alright in non-RS form.

Chevrolet Pressroom - United States - Sonic

Chevrolet Pressroom - United States - Cruze

Chevrolet Pressroom - United States - Cruze
Oh, you're talking about the older RS. I'm talking about the current model year RS. My bad.

If they offer a manual in the model you want, why not just order it. It doesn't cost more (maybe less) and they even may be able to dealer trade to get it. Most build leads are 6 - 8 weeks, but if the "instant gratification" urge is so strong, I guess that's not a viable option.
I planned on doing just that, but my truck unexpectedly failed.

As it sits, I was able to dealer trade for the car I wanted.

Worth noting, I work at a dealer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.