Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts
Considering they already have the 2.0 T engine in emissions-legal trim (Malibu 2.0T, Cadillac ATS 2.0T, Buick Regal Turbo, and the platform-sister car, the Verano), it would mostly compete with other cars within GM.

Doesn't mean I don't want one :)

****, the '17 Malibu Premier with the 2.0T and the new 9AT does 0-60 in 5.7 seconds and runs a low 14 second quarter mile. That's incredibly impressive. That's only with the 250HP/260 lb-ft configuration of the 2.0T. The new '18 Regal, with AWD, puts out 295 lb-ft.

They just need to get the balls to shove the 295 lb-ft (at least) configuration of the 2.0T in the Cruze and call it a day. It won't happen (despite the Cobalt SS selling pretty well for what it was - one **** of a performance car in the TC form), but we can dream!

Reactions: jblackburn
It's missing aboot 100 HP to be considered "hot".
And interestingly enough, my second gen Cruze hatch is lighter than the Sonic RS I sold last month.
Ship weight of 2845 for my Cruze, and 2869 for the Sonic.

Yeah, the Sonic isn't a recipient of the new-gen weight savings the Cruze underwent when it went from Delta II to the new D2XX platform. If/when a new Sonic comes out, it will likely be able to take advantage of such weight reduction techniques.

Yeah, the Sonic isn't a recipient of the new-gen weight savings the Cruze underwent when it went from Delta II to the new D2XX platform. If/when a new Sonic comes out, it will likely be able to take advantage of such weight reduction techniques.
Therefore, I motion that my Cruze hatch is the hottest of current american Chevrolet hatches. :p

Therefore, I motion that my Cruze hatch is the hottest of current american Chevrolet hatches. :p
The one thing that the Sonic RS (manual, anyway) does have going for it are gear ratios that make the most out of the little engine. They kinda remind me of the Accord Sport/Integra ratios where they're closely spaced and actually meant for sporty driving.

While the auto Cruzens used to be the slowest of the bunch, now they're actually quicker to 60 and 1/4 mile (on stock tune) according to C&D tests. Horrible throttle programming probably contributes to it somewhat.

The one thing that the Sonic RS (manual, anyway) does have going for it are gear ratios that make the most out of the little engine. They kinda remind me of the Accord Sport/Integra ratios where they're closely spaced and actually meant for sporty driving.

While the auto Cruzens used to be the slowest of the bunch, now they're actually quicker to 60 and 1/4 mile (on stock tune) according to C&D tests. Horrible throttle programming probably contributes to it somewhat.
I meant specifically my manual, not all manual hatches in general. :p

MF3 6-SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION
Transmission model MANUAL 6-SPEED (FWD)
RPO Code MF3
GEAR RATIOS
First 4.27
Second 2.16
Third 1.30
Fourth .96
Fifth .74
Sixth .61
Reverse 3.82
Axle, 3.65 final drive ratio

Transmission model MANUAL 6-SPEED 1.4L-TURBO
RPO Code MZ4
GEAR RATIOS
First 3.82
Second 2.05
Third 1.30
Fourth .96
Fifth .74
Sixth .61
Reverse 3.55
Axle, 3.65 final drive ratio

The Sonic uses the same six-speed as the diesel Cruze.

The Sonic uses the same six-speed as the diesel Cruze.
And old LT Cruze, yes - which is why I owned that instead of an Eco.

But the final drive ratios are different between all of them, the Sonic RS's being a ratio that behooves itself to aiding acceleration (and high RPM, buzzy highway operation). Like changing the rear axle ratio on a RWD.

And old LT Cruze, yes - which is why I owned that instead of an Eco.

But the final drive ratios are different between all of them, the Sonic RS's being a ratio that behooves itself to aiding acceleration (and high RPM, buzzy highway operation). Like changing the rear axle ratio on a RWD.
Axle, 3.65 final drive ratio for both the 1.4T Sonic hatch manual and 1.4T Cruze hatch manual. It's also 3.65 for the current MZ4 trans on the second gen diesel Cruze. So the same for the 1.4T Sonic and diesel Cruze.

Axle, 3.65 final drive ratio for both the 1.4T Sonic hatch manual and 1.4T Cruze hatch manual. It's also 3.65 for the current MZ4 trans on the second gen diesel Cruze.
3.83 for all variations of the old Cruze, 3.65 for regular Sonic 1.4 trans. Sonic RS was 4.176.

Does appear to still be 3.83 on the new Cruze too if GM's pressroom stuff is to be believed (although they have the 2-3-4-5-6 ratios for 2016 wrong, so who knows). Would make more sense if they used the regular Sonic 1.4 transmission axle ratio, as they're similar weight and they moved that along alright in non-RS form.

Chevrolet Pressroom - United States - Sonic

Chevrolet Pressroom - United States - Cruze

3.83 for all variations of the old Cruze, 3.65 for regular Sonic 1.4 trans. Sonic RS was 4.176.

Does appear to still be 3.83 on the new Cruze too if GM's pressroom stuff is to be believed (although they have the 2-3-4-5-6 ratios for 2016 wrong, so who knows). Would make more sense if they used the regular Sonic 1.4 transmission axle ratio, as they're similar weight and they moved that along alright in non-RS form.

Chevrolet Pressroom - United States - Sonic

Oh, you're talking about the older RS. I'm talking about the current model year RS. My bad.

dropping a the 2.0 in the cruze should cost much more if it fits. I bet the engine doesn't cost anymore than the 1.4t to build. all your paying for is horsepower which i don't understand why they charge so much for it. Put the bigger engine in it. Upgrade the suspension and maybe charge 2k more. it will sell. But again people may not buy however, the bigger issues is dealers won't stock them. That's the main reason manuals don't sale well is because the dealers are not stocking them so when you go buy a car and you need one you can't wait for the order. If don't have them in stock you can't sell them.
Depends on the area, nobody buys manuals here so they don't stock them. You want to see a salesman walk away from you here, ask them if they have a manual version on the lot for you to test drive. I don't have a Cruze because nobody stocked a manual and when I did find one it was an L Cruze. The only cool feature of that car over my old one was the radio works and back up camera. Everyone had a fit the SS was auto only then manuals came out and nobody buys them. Majority of the Vettes on the lot were also auto, even the ZL1 Camaros. After giving up on the manual Cruze it took me another 7 months to find my Accord after it bounced around a few dealerships. On paper my car has $800 between CVT and manual but I got way more than that off because they couldn't sell it. In 2018 Honda is deleting the manual and the V6 out of the Accord because the sales are all pretty much in the CVT 4 cyl trims.

If they offer a manual in the model you want, why not just order it. It doesn't cost more (maybe less) and they even may be able to dealer trade to get it. Most build leads are 6 - 8 weeks, but if the "instant gratification" urge is so strong, I guess that's not a viable option.

Will Chevy offer a "Hot Hatch" Cruze?

If they offer a manual in the model you want, why not just order it. It doesn't cost more (maybe less) and they even may be able to dealer trade to get it. Most build leads are 6 - 8 weeks, but if the "instant gratification" urge is so strong, I guess that's not a viable option.
I planned on doing just that, but my truck unexpectedly failed.

As it sits, I was able to dealer trade for the car I wanted.

Worth noting, I work at a dealer.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.