Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Will Chevy offer a "Hot Hatch" Cruze?

7K views 36 replies 11 participants last post by  EricSmit 
#1 ·
Hi all, new member here! I've driven a Cruze since 2011 and it's been a dependable ride but there's no denying it's character: Chevy clearly aims to compete with the Corolla instead of a MazdaSpeed 3, VW GTI, or Focus ST. I'm moving on to a truck but if Chevy reads these forums I hope they realize how many Chevy enthusiasts want a fun to drive and relatively fuel-efficient FWD hatchback from a domestic automaker. Sure there is the Ford Focus but I want a hot hatch that doesn't break down all the time. I would be all over a 2.0 L Turbo I4 Ecotec Cruze Hatchback if it handled as almost as well as a GTI.

Does anyone else pine for a 270hp Hot Hatch Cruze?

#2 ·
We've covered this so much. hahaha. Won't happen. There is a Vauxhall Astra VXR that is a proper hot hatch, but it won't make its way here.

#9 · (Edited)
You also have to factor in this...

Everyone wants to have these cool features, a 100% distinct interior/exterior makeover than the rest of the trim levels, and a manual trans. When the car maker listens and makes it, nobody buys it. A company stays in business selling things that sell vs looks and sounds cool.

A fully loaded non fast gas Cruze Sedan here runs $32K before tax, title, tags, and that negative equity carried over from trade in. Now picture all that on a Fast Cruze Hatch, you just put yourself in the price rage of an AWD ATS or going to a different company altogether. The 2LT RS 6MT Cruze slowly deleted itself from the US market and then the whole trim level entirely in Gen 2 because it was an obsolete trim for the Cruze. A Premier with no extras is in the 2LT pricing range. People are bothered the Challenger is AWD in V6 only but who do you know will buy a V8 AWD Challenger?

Out of curiosity, how much would that little guy cost if built there and shipped here? The Buick Casada is a bit up there in price being built over there and shipped here. I'm wondering if they would even give it a Chevy badge if it came this way, hypothetically.

http://www.simsgm.com/VehicleDetail...a-2dr_Conv_Sport_Touring-Euclid-OH/2933400863

#7 · (Edited)
Nope, Ford sells the Focus ST and Focus RS right here in the USA. And a Hot Hatch Cruze would definitely get better mileage than a big-arsed Camaro. Tune it for high mileage under normal driving but high performance when pushed.

I believe Chevy would be surprised at how well a 250+hp Cruze hatchback would sell. I saw one today on the expressway and it has "all show no go" written all over the sporty exterior. Reminds me of how Pontiac used to be.

#10 ·
As far as cost "over there" goes, I ordered a 2008 Saturn Astra XR five door and the sticker was not much different than the competition. They were built in Austria and shipped to a NJ POE for distribution across the U.S. Also, the new Civic hatchback is built in Swindon, UK and shipped here. MSRP is also competitive with the competition. Haven't seen Type R pricing yet to see how it compares with the Focus beasts.

#11 · (Edited)
dropping a the 2.0 in the cruze should cost much more if it fits. I bet the engine doesn't cost anymore than the 1.4t to build. all your paying for is horsepower which i don't understand why they charge so much for it. Put the bigger engine in it. Upgrade the suspension and maybe charge 2k more. it will sell. But again people may not buy however, the bigger issues is dealers won't stock them. That's the main reason manuals don't sale well is because the dealers are not stocking them so when you go buy a car and you need one you can't wait for the order. If don't have them in stock you can't sell them.

#34 ·
dropping a the 2.0 in the cruze should cost much more if it fits. I bet the engine doesn't cost anymore than the 1.4t to build. all your paying for is horsepower which i don't understand why they charge so much for it. Put the bigger engine in it. Upgrade the suspension and maybe charge 2k more. it will sell. But again people may not buy however, the bigger issues is dealers won't stock them. That's the main reason manuals don't sale well is because the dealers are not stocking them so when you go buy a car and you need one you can't wait for the order. If don't have them in stock you can't sell them.
Depends on the area, nobody buys manuals here so they don't stock them. You want to see a salesman walk away from you here, ask them if they have a manual version on the lot for you to test drive. I don't have a Cruze because nobody stocked a manual and when I did find one it was an L Cruze. The only cool feature of that car over my old one was the radio works and back up camera. Everyone had a fit the SS was auto only then manuals came out and nobody buys them. Majority of the Vettes on the lot were also auto, even the ZL1 Camaros. After giving up on the manual Cruze it took me another 7 months to find my Accord after it bounced around a few dealerships. On paper my car has $800 between CVT and manual but I got way more than that off because they couldn't sell it. In 2018 Honda is deleting the manual and the V6 out of the Accord because the sales are all pretty much in the CVT 4 cyl trims.

#14 · (Edited)
You don't even need a 2.0L, take the 1.5L in the nox/terrain, get a sportier exhaust, intake and get a more aggressive flash in there and you'd be close to 190hp/220lbs. That puts it right in par with the new Civic SI. These certainly wouldn't be high volume cars, but nobody wants a casada outside the nicer climates and nearly every automaker has some sort of sportier compact in their base brand. Even the Yaris is getting a hot hatch spec.

#15 ·
You don't even need a 2.0L, take the 1.5L in the nox/terrain, get a sportier exhaust, intake and get a more aggressive flash in there and you'd be close to 190hp/220lbs. That puts it right in par with the new Civic SI. These certainly wouldn't be high volume cars, but nobody wants a casada outside the nicer climates and nearly every automaker has some sort of sportier compact in their base brand. Even the Yaris is getting a hot hatch spec.
My 1.4 is right there with a tune, no need for the bigger engine.

#16 ·
Yea but you also technically voided your warranty. Again it may not every come up but it could. Again they could do it easily they have the parts. But they also need to make money on small cars. However i pretty sure the cobalt SS sold well. **** i would be happy with small coupe more than a performance 4 door.

#17 · (Edited)
No, I'm saying that with an exhaust and an intake and a more aggressive tune, you could be there from the factory. No need to go to the bigger engine.

The Cobalt SS did not sell well.

2005 SS/SC = 3,093

2006 SS/SC = 17,464

2006 SS/2.4 (coupe) = 21,688

2006 SS/2.4 (sedan) = 9,068

2007 SS/SC = 10,566

2007 SS/2.4 (coupe) = 12,469

2007 SS/2.4 (sedan) = 3,397

2008 SS = 1,766

2009 SS (coupe) = 3,040

2009 SS (sedan) = 759

That sounds well and great, but do you know how many Cobalts were sold overall? 1020707.

And that's including the 2.4 NA SS, which accounts for roughly half of all SS Cobalts sold.

#22 ·
Considering they already have the 2.0 T engine in emissions-legal trim (Malibu 2.0T, Cadillac ATS 2.0T, Buick Regal Turbo, and the platform-sister car, the Verano), it would mostly compete with other cars within GM.

Doesn't mean I don't want one :)

#23 ·
****, the '17 Malibu Premier with the 2.0T and the new 9AT does 0-60 in 5.7 seconds and runs a low 14 second quarter mile. That's incredibly impressive. That's only with the 250HP/260 lb-ft configuration of the 2.0T. The new '18 Regal, with AWD, puts out 295 lb-ft.

They just need to get the balls to shove the 295 lb-ft (at least) configuration of the 2.0T in the Cruze and call it a day. It won't happen (despite the Cobalt SS selling pretty well for what it was - one **** of a performance car in the TC form), but we can dream!

Reactions: jblackburn
#25 ·
Yeah, the Sonic isn't a recipient of the new-gen weight savings the Cruze underwent when it went from Delta II to the new D2XX platform. If/when a new Sonic comes out, it will likely be able to take advantage of such weight reduction techniques.

#36 ·
If they offer a manual in the model you want, why not just order it. It doesn't cost more (maybe less) and they even may be able to dealer trade to get it. Most build leads are 6 - 8 weeks, but if the "instant gratification" urge is so strong, I guess that's not a viable option.

#37 ·
Will Chevy offer a "Hot Hatch" Cruze?

I planned on doing just that, but my truck unexpectedly failed.

As it sits, I was able to dealer trade for the car I wanted.

Worth noting, I work at a dealer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.