Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I were at GM I would be working my tail off to make sure that the 2nd Generation Cruze Diesel's are ready and in production in time to sell them to VW TDI owners that will be turning in their TDIs soon and looking for another diesel high MPG car to replace it with!!!

Do you think GM will be able to have them on the lots in time???

Reactions: obermd

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Well there's still no fix for the tdi issue so gm should be able to get the cars on lots.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,188 Posts
I would almost guarantee they are not sitting idle.

Probably going through the last round of quadruple checks on the emissions tests, making sure someone can't exploit some random hole in the tuning to try and sue them, or some BS like that, while also finishing up the calibration and getting it all ready.

I check every day, and I wouldn't be surprised for a fall unveiling - but I'd more than likely expect to see it debut at LA, since that's the next major US auto show. The Gen I CTD debuted at Chicago.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I really hope GM goes after VW on this. It's a great opportunity. VW sold a lot of diesels in the US so the market is there, and I woudl imagine it's still there.

All they have to do is let people know it exists, which they didn't do with the first gen.

·
Premium Member
5,188 Posts
All they have to do is let people know it exists, which they didn't do with the first gen.
Absolutely. Advertise the living crap out of the car, and make it a point that it meets all emissions regulations without any kind of defeat device like "the other guys".

When it comes up in conversation that we have a Cruze Diesel, 90% of people are blown away that such a thing exists.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
To me GM didn't do a thing to advertise the diesel Cruze. They would have sold way more it they did. I run into people every day that didn't know they exist.

·
Premium Member
5,188 Posts
The most there was, was in automotive magazines.

Reactions: Chris Tobin

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
I saw a couple of Cruze Diesel ads when it first came out. White car - no soot.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Two things: GM can't even keep a supplier solvent ( see other thread) and the very questionable reliability of the 1st Gen Diesel is surely going to kill sales of the Gen 2 whisper diesel.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Two things: GM can't even keep a supplier solvent ( see other thread) and the very questionable reliability of the 1st Gen Diesel is surely going to kill sales of the Gen 2 whisper diesel.
There are several people on this forum with over 100K miles on their diesel Cruzes who have had relatively few problems. Let's not forget that forums tend to attract those who have problems with their cars, so it may appear as if they are much worse than they actually are. Go to any car forum and read a little bit. You wouldn't buy anything based on what people post! I, for one, will be first in line to buy the next one. There are thousands of people out there enjoying their diesel Cruzes that don't ever come to these forums. My Cruze has 176K miles on it as of this writing, and although not perfect, it's been and continues to be a fantastic car.

·
Premium Member
5,188 Posts
I saw a couple of Cruze Diesel ads when it first came out. White car - no soot.
Yep - those are the ones I remember. Good information in the ads - but just not widely dispersed, nor attention grabbing enough.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Business relationships can be complicated and just for the record it is not gm responsibility to keep a supplier solvent. Business can be survival of the fittest. I have a 15 CTD with 15k miles and I am very happy with the car and have had zero problems, my dealer has done a great job at servicing my car. I have had many cars over driving for 35 years, this car is one of my favorites.

·
Registered
706 Posts
diesel i tend to agree with you but seeing how the dealers have little ability to diagnose problems with the gen 1 i dont see how a gen 2 will be serviced better they have a hard time doing a proper oil change

·
Premium Member
2,966 Posts
To add to What Gm needs to advertise .... for them to succeed in the diesel market they need to PROPERLY TRAIN the salesman in diesel sedans and colorado diesels.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The only reliability issues I've heard of on the Cruze Diesel's has been emissions related items mostly sensors and such... Whereas with VW, they sold 450,000+ of the Common Rail TDIs over the past 7 years with the cheater software and VERY Questionable reliability. Just look up HPFP failure, it's some fun reading. Oh and when a TDI HPFP (CP4 in the VW, the Chevy uses the more robust CP1 variant) fails it takes out the entire fuel system resulting in a bill of around $5-8,000 to repair/replace. Even once these issues became widely known sales were still strong.

So if GM markets the 2nd Gen Cruze Diesel well they should have no problems selling them. Afterall there are something like 390,000 VW TDI owners minimum that the agreement will require VW to Buyback or repain, and there is still not an approved repair and the Euro repair is said to make emissions AND performance worse so the vast majority of VW TDI owners will likely eventually turn in their cars for a buyback. GM just needs to market directly to them and give them a good car and reason to buy it.

Personally I think they should sell the 2nd Gen Cruze Diesel with the 1.6L as a Jetta/Golf TDI replacement in both sedan and hatchback. Then additionally sell the new Malibu with a revised version of the 2.0L Diesel engine the 1st Gen Cruze used as a Passat TDI replacement.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
They should make a larger car with the diesel definitely. The 2.0TD could handle it which the cruze gets the 1.6TD

·
Premium Member
5,188 Posts
They should make a larger car with the diesel definitely. The 2.0TD could handle it which the cruze gets the 1.6TD
I'd totally rock a new Malibu with the 2.0TD. The Malibu hybrid weighs 15lbs less than a Gen 1 CTD. A base Malibu weighs the same (2lbs more) as the 16 Cruze Limited L.

·
Premium Member
2,966 Posts
I hate hybrids but a hybrid diesel would get great mpg

1 - 20 of 68 Posts