Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
20140122_171630.jpg 20140122_171645.jpg

Hi there, my Cruze side mirrors seems to be having color fade in just a year from purchase. I wonder if you guys are having the same issues, and is the product that problematic! Please advise. Cheers

Cruze member from Singapore

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
That sucks! Where do you live as I'm sure the environment in which the car stays in can easily cause this? I'm not sure how possible replacing the mirror would be and if there would be more to it than that, but asking your dealer wouldn't hurt. They also make a lot of plastic restorer products that I'm sure could help improve your problem. Check out autogeek.net for some products you could use.

Black WOW Exterior Trim Restorer, black trim dressing, restore black rubber trim, Mini trim

·
Epic Beard Man
5,389 Posts
I got polish or wax on mine by accident and I haven't found anything to get it off yet.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My own practice was to polish the car twice a year with a good polishing service and wash the car with just plain water. In Singapore, there is no 4 season, just humid. We get a lot of sun, rain and temperature is between 27 to 32 degree Celsius here. Tried using armour oil for rubber or plastic, cleaners similar like Mr Clean also don't work.

I've sent to Service Centre but all they did was re-spray. I've demanded a replacement and they said the issue would come back again. That is why I posted here and see if anyone have contacts with GM side to check it out for me if it is their manufacturer issue or just an excuse from the service centre for not replacing. I've only just bought this for just over a year. I don't seems to have the same issue over my Japanese car from Toyota, Honda or Subaru!!!!

Cruse member from Singapore

That sucks! Where do you live as I'm sure the environment in which the car stays in can easily cause this? I'm not sure how possible replacing the mirror would be and if there would be more to it than that, but asking your dealer wouldn't hurt. They also make a lot of plastic restorer products that I'm sure could help improve your problem. Check out autogeek.net for some products you could use.

Black WOW Exterior Trim Restorer, black trim dressing, restore black rubber trim, Mini trim

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hello !
I'm sorry to say this but for me it seems like there's nothing to be done, except to paint it as well as just can be done to get it invisible.
It most propably is because of the sun and the quality of the plastic. If those mirrors would be replaced, the same thing would come back after some time.
There may be some professional painters who can still fix those so that they look like new.
Best regards !
Risto

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
OP is from Singapore, can't learn this by reading.

Could be dead wrong, but under the impression these plastic pieces are molded from black plastic. If this is true, should be able to polish them and get back to black. Because this should be black underneath.

If painted, that would be a problem. Have no idea what that white stuff is, but could make terrible suggestions. Used that Armour stuff on all the plastic inside of my Cruze, many different brands of that stuff all claiming to be the best. Someone is lying. Anyway, not a problem, have to do this at least once per year. Also 50 millions other things you have to do once per year. Now its taxes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't think it is a black plastic, if you have viewed the photos on my initial post, it actually comes out white spots or stain ... if it is black plastic, I don't think this message actually exists.. hmm I've just got my side mirrors resprayed by the Chevrolet and they assured that it is under a few more layer. So I've told them will monitor and see if it fades again. If it does, properly I will push for a replacement and see if the material is really that problematic...

OP is from Singapore, can't learn this by reading.

Could be dead wrong, but under the impression these plastic pieces are molded from black plastic. If this is true, should be able to polish them and get back to black. Because this should be black underneath.

If painted, that would be a problem. Have no idea what that white stuff is, but could make terrible suggestions. Used that Armour stuff on all the plastic inside of my Cruze, many different brands of that stuff all claiming to be the best. Someone is lying. Anyway, not a problem, have to do this at least once per year. Also 50 millions other things you have to do once per year. Now its taxes.

·
Registered
66 Posts
A bit of a thread dig... But for anyone else having this issue (and if your car is still under warranty) - I've had both of these pieces (left and right) covered under warranty by the dealer for no charge. It's very common in Australia.

Wording on the worksheet:

"PL CH SIDE MIRRORS FADING - NO CHARGE
Check mirrors fading due to poor factory finish removed and replaced both side mirrors all ok

PRT 95063309 MIRROR ASM-O/S 1 - NOCHARGE
PRT 95063308 MIRROR ASM-O/S 1 - NOCHARGE"

Hope this helps anyone who has this issue.

·
Registered
296 Posts
My own practice was to polish the car twice a year with a good polishing service and wash the car with just plain water. In Singapore, there is no 4 season, just humid. We get a lot of sun, rain and temperature is between 27 to 32 degree Celsius here. Tried using armour oil for rubber or plastic, cleaners similar like Mr Clean also don't work.

I've sent to Service Centre but all they did was re-spray. I've demanded a replacement and they said the issue would come back again. That is why I posted here and see if anyone have contacts with GM side to check it out for me if it is their manufacturer issue or just an excuse from the service centre for not replacing. I've only just bought this for just over a year. I don't seems to have the same issue over my Japanese car from Toyota, Honda or Subaru!!!!

Cruse member from Singapore

Hi novaol,

I don't think I have that issue on my Cruze, it's a 2011 and is KR built.
Three of my colleagues here at work never mentions anything similar either on their Cruzes.

I am from the Philippines and we basically have the same weather as you do there in SG, although we get much more rain than you do.

phantom

1 - 13 of 13 Posts