Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Wind Resistance is Awesome

2330 Views 10 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Sunline Fan
The wind has been very strong all day here in Metro Detroit. I just got back from a 2 hr round trip up to my parents place. Normally in my old Saturn wind gusts a quarter of what I saw today would have me pushed all over the road. I was not thinking of any of this however until while driving up, I noticed the SUV in front of me get hit in the side by a huge gust. It then occurred to me that my Cruze didn't even give a hint of an indication that such wind was hitting me. I was totally amazed, now as I focused on the gusts coming at me and that nothing happened! I kept tracking straight ahead like nothing was happening, soo cool :D
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Epic Beard Man
5,353 Posts
I've felt a few gusts before, but yes, it generally doesn't affect it that much.

I was south of Jackson last night and decided to leave for home at about 2:30 AM instead of staying the night. Got home at 4, but I'm glad I did now after seeing that northeast wind today. It was not windy overnight at all, and it certainly helped my mileage.

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
Other than having to steer slightly into the wind, the my ECO MT is very stable in the wind and extremely resistent to wind gusts. It's not bothered by grooved pavement either.

· Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,879 Posts
I've been impressed with how well the Cruze handles rain compared to my old cars. Maybe it's the tires, I don't know. I've never hydroplaned this car, and it very rarely spins the front tires in rain.

It's not quite as stable as my battleship of a Volvo was in wind, but it definitely keeps in the lane pretty well. The weight definitely helps it here.

To get to school, I used to have to drive up I-77 into Virginia through a huge pass up the side of a mountain. As it's a long, steep hill, trucks usually pile up in the right lane, slower cars in the middle, and fast on the left. One day, it was super windy, and my '88 Honda Accord had just finished passing a truck, and I was blown clear into the left lane (luckily nobody was there). I saw a truck behind me swerving back into his lane as well. It was just sheer luck that I wasn't next to him...

· Resident Derp
2,800 Posts
I have to say that I have spun my front tires in my LS 3-4 times when going over a puddle from a stop, but thats it. Also, I have to say that it does seem to cut through wind with ease, however at the same time with my LS it also slows me down enough for me to notice that its struggling a bit.

· Premium Member
5,048 Posts
Yeah, this car isn't affected by wind gusts that much. It's rather nice, driving something that doesn't get pushed around every large gust that comes along.

· Premium Member
3,164 Posts
with this storm coming, anybody driving their cruze on the road, will truly get to test it's wind resistance abilities, lol! Driving in all this upcoming rain and winds from hurricane sandy will also show just how much the hack job of the shield has an effect on this car during bad weather!

· Premium Member
861 Posts
I was getting blown all over on my drive to Cleveland and back today, though I will say I'm happy I'm not driving my old Explorer, That thing could get blown off the road by some fat guy playing the tuba on the side of the road.

· Epic Beard Man
5,353 Posts
Yeah, it was a rough drive today (even though I think I'd take it once winter hits). I only averaged 34ish mpg and had wind hitting me directly from the side for most of the way. It moved around quite a bit, but they are 30-40 mph winds!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.