Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.

I live in Northern Ohio, and I've been to one dealership to look at Cruze's. I'm pretty set on an LTZ, but cannot see spending $25k on a Cruze. Sure I could get an 2LT and save $2k (unless I go auto, then I think it's only about $1k)

Eco is 'ok', but doesn't thrill me.

Is there a way to window shop for best prices in a certain radius? I hope to get a quote today from the dealer for everything I want, I'll throw it on here and see if it's good or insane.

What are you guys shelling out for the LTZ's?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So here is what I was quoted...any good??
LTZ with Premium Sound and RS package...nothing else.

Victory Red Order LTZ Cruze
MSRP - $26,020
GMS Price - $25,168.62
Documentary Fee - $250
Employee Vehicle Allowance -( $ 250)
Total Out The Door - $25,168.62

·
Administrator
15,763 Posts
Sounds about normal for a Cruze but you should be able to knock a few hundred more off of that with some price matching between dealerships and some stubborn negotiating on your part.

If you're trying to save money, how about going down to a 2LT or even an Eco?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought about a 2LT, but when you option the 2LT with an auto, then the LTZ seems to be only around $1k more I believe, which I don't think is to bad for the upgraded wheels/tires, keyless entry and anything else I might be forgetting.

I wasn't totally thrilled with the ECO. I like the RS package look on these cars.

I just sort of choked for a second when I saw $26k sticker on a Cruze. LOTS of other car options out there for the mid-20's range. (and I'm always a GM guy...)

·
Administrator
15,763 Posts
I thought about a 2LT, but when you option the 2LT with an auto, then the LTZ seems to be only around $1k more I believe, which I don't think is to bad for the upgraded wheels/tires, keyless entry and anything else I might be forgetting.

I wasn't totally thrilled with the ECO. I like the RS package look on these cars.

I just sort of choked for a second when I saw $26k sticker on a Cruze. LOTS of other car options out there for the mid-20's range. (and I'm always a GM guy...)
So go test drive them. You won't be particularly pleased with what you see in that segment. Try the Civic, the Elantra, the Focus, the Avenger, the Corolla, and anything I may have forgotten, and you'll come back to the Cruze. You can get anything cheaper, but not with all of the upgrades you would be getting on an LTZ RS.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree. I wouldn't like any of those vehicles.

The only other option I could see myself looking at is AWD vehicles, but probably still not my taste. Subaru etc.

I normally would prefer a manual, but after reading some posts on here, I'm a little concerned with the lifetime of the clutch.

·
Administrator
15,763 Posts
I agree. I wouldn't like any of those vehicles.

The only other option I could see myself looking at is AWD vehicles, but probably still not my taste. Subaru etc.

I normally would prefer a manual, but after reading some posts on here, I'm a little concerned with the lifetime of the clutch.
AWD will present you with too much of a parasitic drag and will reduce your fuel economy substantially. Not worth it IMO.

My clutch has been fine, up to 3800 miles now. There are plenty of others who's clutches have been fine. I really start to wonder if this is just an isolated problem with a select few cars. Keep in mind that forums like this exist to discuss problems. Those who don't have problems don't have much of a reason to discuss them. I'd be more concerned about the erratic shifting in the auto that's causing people to buy the Trifecta tune to fix it. Supposedly it's worse with the 2011 models but still present in the 2012 models.

·
Registered
468 Posts
The RS package added absolutely nothing over the Eco in terms of styling in my opinion. Just a shinier grill I believe. It has the "spoiler" like the RS.

Even if I hadn't gotten an Eco, I would not have paid the like $1700 for the very minor changes of the RS over the standard Cruze.

·
Administrator
15,763 Posts
The RS package added absolutely nothing over the Eco in terms of styling in my opinion. Just a shinier grill I believe. It has the "spoiler" like the RS.

Even if I hadn't gotten an Eco, I would not have paid the like $1700 for the very minor changes of the RS over the standard Cruze.
The RS package adds side skirts, 10mm lowered springs, a more sporty front fascia that includes fog lights (which are different from the ones you can get on other cruzes) and a different rear bumper that hangs a bit lower and has a different appearance. It's basically a body kit.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
If you go to the Cruze web page, 2012 Chevy Cruze | Compact Car | Chevrolet, and go to the build your own page, you will be prompted for your zippy code. Then you can search the inventory of dealerships in xx milles of you and see what they have on the lot and what the price is. Of course, you can then call them and see what they will really sell them for. A dealer in Oregon, OH has been advertising emplolee pricing on all Cruze and Equinox all month in the local paper.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I ended up getting the LTZ, but did NOT want the sunroof, nor did I want the RS package. Some of the RS package already comes with the LTZ. We have had a sunroof in several cars, and never used them to any extent, plus the motor went out on a Volvo and the dealer just sealed it rather than us paying over $1000 for a new motor. I got the LTZ with the only option being black and the upgraded Pioneer stereo. And, I told them I was going to take care of financing myself, and I would NOT pay them $300 for documentation. They dropped the documentation charge to $75. Also, I found that dealers are more apt to give you their offer in writing than anytime in the past when I have car shopped. If you decide exactly what you want, stand your ground, they WILL find it!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^^ Same.

I told them I want sound and nothing else...they said they will have to order it from GM, no problem (it's made just an hour away from me)

·
Super Moderator
5,194 Posts
AWD will present you with too much of a parasitic drag and will reduce your fuel economy substantially. Not worth it IMO.

My clutch has been fine, up to 3800 miles now. There are plenty of others who's clutches have been fine. I really start to wonder if this is just an isolated problem with a select few cars. Keep in mind that forums like this exist to discuss problems. Those who don't have problems don't have much of a reason to discuss them. I'd be more concerned about the erratic shifting in the auto that's causing people to buy the Trifecta tune to fix it. Supposedly it's worse with the 2011 models but still present in the 2012 models.
I have a 2011 LS with 17000 miles on my clutch with no problems. I also have the tune for the 1.8 to increase throttle response. The LS is only $17000 but no styled wheels or spoiler. In 2011 the LS did not come with Cruise or power mirrors now it is standard for about the same price. I am pleased with my decision. I added the spoiler and cruise control for a total of $300. I am considering wheels and adding power mirrors if it can be done but probably neither will happen.
Good luck.
Patman

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Patman. I'm trading in my 2010 Silverado LTZ (not happy about that, love that truck) to get this car for the milage due to a new job. I'm a gearhead, but I do NOT want to wrench on this car. I'll be putting over 25k miles on the car a year with this new job, so I want the least amount of service. But, I'm guessing I'll spring for the LTZ, so it's an auto I guess.

I see yours is a Taupe Grey??? My truck is Taupe Grey Metallica (Cyber Grey for Vettes) and I would LOVE to get that color again. I don't believe it's available for 2012's? Might go back to Victory Red if Taupe Grey isn't available.

Something I did notice. I built the vehicle on GM's site and it came to $24,580...they quoted me at MSRP - $26,020
GMS Price - $25,168.62

What the...??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts